Philadelphia Union - 2018 Roster

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by Zman Gunner, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't they related though? Salary cap in this league means ownership must be smart with how/when they spend. Bloated contracts & salaries will only hinder how you can fill out the remainder of the roster.

jaykoz3 repped this.
  2. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Put these charts together:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So not any news really, just that the Union consistently just below middle of the pack a bit below the league average in payroll every year. They increase payroll just enough every year to keep their pace and stay right around the league median.

There is also most definitely a bit of a correlation between spending and likelyhood of winning the Shield or MLS Cup. Open Cup is the best bet for a low spending team.

Also worth noting this doesn't include transfer fees... so things like the cost to get Kaku and Barco aren't taken into account here... would be interested in integrating those numbers into these payroll totals.

3. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #128 thomas19064, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    I dug through transfer market and came up with fees for active players for each team in MLS... some interesting findings.

Couple of notes:
    • I'm sure there are some data holes in transfer marekets information.
    • I left out loan deals since more often than not there was no information on them, so the Union are probably a bit understated due to Dockal.
    • I also left out any internal league transfers like Accam because Allocation money is just league issued stuff exchanging hands.

But either way here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not going to claim this is perfect by any stretch, but the real take away for me is when people say... "LOOK AT OUR PAYROLL WE AREN'T CHEAP!!!" never really takes this into consideration a team like New York is actually investing 4.3 million in spending under the median here. (RBNY)

The company we are keeping when it comes to spending isn't great...

4. ericlfd

ericlfd Member+

Nov 28, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I suppose, but we're literally hamstrung by like 800k contracts lol. Mbohli wouldn't set Atlanta back 3 years

5. buzzkiller23

buzzkiller23 Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Glenolden, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That, and they can buy out bad contracts in the offseason and choose not to. There was never any reason to have Jay Simpson on the roster this year especially at that cap number.

cwelch999 repped this.
  6. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I was checking out the stats leaders and noticed our boy Local Helmet somehow finished 3rd in the Audi player index rankings so we have that going for us.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/stats

7. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    J-Mac's introduction for the starting lineup in their first USOC game next year:

"The reigning 3rd place finisher you in the MLS Audi Player Index...goalkeeper Joooohhhhhhn McCaaaaaaarrrrrthyyyy!!!!!!!"

sentrido repped this.
  8. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So there is no "minimum minutes played" on this index? How is that even remotely considered a relevant stat?

sentrido, Phillyspur and djramone repped this.
  9. Union42

Union42 Member+

Jul 29, 2013
    Swarthmore, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it gives concrete, irrefutable evidence that J-Mac is the most moneyball player EVER. Perfect for the Union.

sentrido repped this.
  10. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mattylip's "stone cold lock" of the day (other than the Union losing to NYCFC of course): Tonight will be Dockal's final game in a Union uniform.

ericlfd, jaykoz3, Handsome Pete and 3 others repped this.
  11. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    upload_2018-10-31_13-3-10.jpeg

BuddhaWake, cwelch999, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  12. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union