Philadelphia Union 2018/2019 Off-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Union' started by jaykoz3, Oct 31, 2018.

1. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The reason this signing is great is because FINALLY this is the combination profile/pedigree/caliber a market the size of Philly warrants.

I’m more than pleased right now.. even if he doesn’t work out, this is the type of ambition we should have and the type of player we should be targeting. It’s a “finally” type of moment.

My only fear at this point is the team will point to this as evidence they are doing enough... this needs to be the start of something, not the end point... not something that just appeases us until the next year. Don’t stagnate, continue to build, continue to grow, do more of this. Next step needs to be paying a substantial transfer fee that goes beyond the 1 million paid for Bedoya... yes Marco will have a high salary, but this is still a very thrifty deal. I’ll stull be looking for spending in the future.

CyphaPSU, cwelch999, djramone and 3 others repped this.
  2. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Amen, my brother!

3. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. djramone

djramone Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand your point, but paying for someone doesn't necessarily equate to success. Yes, it shows initiative and an attempt to improve, but it's not an end-all-be-all. Sugarman is no Arthur Blank, so there's a snowball's chance in hell we'll ever see a $14M transfer fee paid ...

I see a lot of folks shitting on this signing because the team didn't shell out serious cash to pry him away from Germany. I get that. But, it's also a good bit of business, a low-risk/high-reward kind of thing. And, so far, Marco is saying all the right things, making the media rounds (Inquirer front page, Sixers' game & jersey swap w/ the new guy, etc). I can't help but not be excited for the upcoming season ... staying cautiously optimistic, though.

djramone, jaykoz3 and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  6. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #506 thomas19064, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    I don't disagree.. would obviously rather have the team make smart business decisions than stupid ones, and obviously getting any player for free is much better than paying.

I think it just goes back to mindset of the fanbase and the overarching narrative around this team.
    I'm coming from a standpoint of, most people sort of assumed they would still need to pay a transfer fee of around 1M to get Fabian... if they didn't need to pay that fee, than they should use that money to buy a different 1M dollar player... it should mean the funds are still there to go out and improve even more.
    now the narrative shifts to, well maybe the funds were never there in the first place and the Union just got really really lucky they could find a player like Fabian for free.

It's not an indictment of the deal itself, it's more of a shot at what does or doesn't happen next...

Always concern with the bigger picture.. getting a player like this for free is always a positive, but a deal like this for another team gives their fans a sense that the team still has those extra transfer funds to go out and keep buying... with the Union it's still shrouded in doubt.

cwelch999, buzzkiller23 and Dills repped this.
  7. sentrido

sentrido Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I am glad they were able to make a deal but it is kinda just treading water.They basically brought in a player I feel is at about the same level as Dockal with better domestic marketing opportunities. It's not like we had some killer team already and this guy was the cherry on top. Thats basically treading water. What we don't know yet is if changing up some of the tactics we have been married too for the past few years will produce better results. I think it will but probably only marginally.

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  8. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I didn't read Mike Tom Mike's comment that way, in fact he's been firmly on the side of this is a good deal. I think what we've been saying is "great job, now keep it up". If they can keep finding dudes on a free, rock on, but that means more investment in scouting to find those deals.

For me, I think its a great signing. I was very meh when it looked like we were keeping him warm for Bex. But a quality guy on a free is always smart. I know everyone reads the "club options" like this team is in control of something, but if Marco wants out, he'll go. Let's not kid ourselves. His value off the field is greater than his abilities on it for me. No, not the Mexican community stuff, that's cool and all but they'll need to actually follow up on stuff like Spanish language marketing,etc. I'm more excited that he may be the locator beacon for other guys in Bundesliga. There's a ton of talent there and Bundi2. I was hopeful that Earnie would find bargain guys on teams that were relegated or who had become surplus who could walk in and be starters here. Like Medunjanin was that guy 4 years ago. We need those guys. Maybe Santos is quite the find. Kacper is the one I'm intrigued about, everyone is assuming he's a Steel guy but I think he's a straight CJ replacement.

TL;DR - Fabian was good business. More is needed.

lopezzzz and thomas19064 repped this.
  9. EdBacon

EdBacon Member+

Apr 6, 2015
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Do we have a real starting striker or whats the deal with that?

buzzkiller23 repped this.
  10. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The answer is either no, or Santos... maybe... if we are lucky.

EdBacon repped this.
  11. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm thinking the guy with 20 goals in 100 Bundi2 games will get a look.

12. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see how anyone can see the Fabian signing as anything other than a great deal and one where the Union learned its lesson from the Dockal deal.

Last year, we all talked about how the Dockal deal was a lose-lose. If he was a bust, the Union would waste a lot of money. If he was great, the Union would not be able to afford his transfer rights. The latter happened, and Dockal is no more.

With the Fabian deal, it's a win-win. If he doesn't pan out, it's one year and gone. If he does pan out, the Union can exercise his option for next season and then for a third season. Better yet, if he experiences a resurgence, the Union have two years to transfer him and cash in. Best case scenario (from the Front Office standpoint) is that he is as good as Dockal and they transfer Fabian after this season or next season for a fee of $3M+.

Based on the recent comments of Tanner and Curtin, the inside track to Opening Day's Starting XI seems to be the following:

Picault-Santos
    Fabian
    Jones-Bedoya
    Medunjanin
    Wagner-Trusty-McKenzie-Mbaizo
    Blake

Note that this is a back 4 aged 21 and under.

Burke and Sapong will compete with Santos.
    Accam will compete with Fafa.
    Creavalle will push Jones.
    At outside back, Real, Fabinho and Gaddis will compete with Wagner and Mbaizo.
    Collin and Elliott will compete for bench CB.

Even though they call it a 4-4-2, I think it's going to look a lot like a 3-5-2 when they have the ball. On offense, Medunjanin will drop between the centerbacks like he did last season and the outside backs will push up past the two central midfielders.

djramone, CyphaPSU, jaykoz3 and 2 others repped this.
  13. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I Wagner definitely over Real in the depth chart? Oustide of who pair with Santos up top that is my biggest question.

14. ScottyMac26

ScottyMac26 Member+

Jan 13, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That formation could do with a Vince Noguiera type on the left....

15. mattylip

mattylip Member+

Philadelphia Union
    Jul 22, 2011
    Cherry Hill (127, D)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Real (and Fontana) will be with the US U-20 World Cup team from early May through some point in June so it is unclear whether they would to start Real and then lose him less than two months in. Also, I'm not convinced that Real is the "winger who can cover the entire left side of the field" like Tanner wants.

The hope may be for Real to have a strong World Cup and then to sell him without featuring him (and potentially exposing his flaws) in MLS in March and April.

16. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too soon.

17. drewuke

drewuke Member+

Jul 19, 2012
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I'm excited for this season just because there are so many question marks. Even if they are bad, it will be so much more exciting than the bland predictable Union team of the last couple seasons.

Will Santos be good?
    Will Marco stay healthy?
    Will the Union actually try to develop a young center midfielder?
    How will a new formation look/play? (????)
    Who the ******** is starting on the outside backs?
    Are we not ever planning wingers?

LiverpoolFanatic and jaykoz3 repped this.
  18. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Re: Fabian...a good rule of thumb is you get what you pay for.

Unless you are Al Davis.

Not to say only big dollar deals produce results but the stories of low investment high return should not convince someone to make that their strategy. (see: Kramden, Ralph)

Let’s be optimistic this works but teams rarely let value leave without compensation. They have a fan base and board to respond to so the idea they did Philly a favor or we talked them out of a player seem like positive spin.

19. thomas19064

thomas19064 Member+

Apr 29, 2008
    Delco
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marco looks to be loving life as a Union player so far...

20. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guy gets handed the throne without stepping foot on the field. I'd be over the moon, too.

LiverpoolFanatic and buzzkiller23 repped this.
  21. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :(

BuddhaWake repped this.
  22. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sadly, I separately told two casual Union fans that the team had signed a high quality midfielder, and, without knowing anything about Fabian, each immediately asked "how long until he's injured"?

23. Scottj10

Scottj10 Member

Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Aug 10, 2011
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny you should ask...he hasn't really played since having extensive back surgery a couple years ago.

24. Billy Zabka

Billy Zabka Member+

May 4, 2006
    RoFo, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Up to $450K is apparently the number

cwelch999 repped this.
  25. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ll take it. We just stole money from Chicago.