Perceptions of Football Ultras

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by THOMA GOL, Jan 28, 2013.

1. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am conducting research to include those who follow the global game we love. This is for a research paper on the topic of the perception of ultras. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

1. As it relates to global football, what is the first thought that comes to mind when you hear the term 'ultras'?

2. Do you feel that ultras are important to the matchday atmosphere of the stadium? Why or why not?

3. Ultras have been portrayed as hooligans due to various factors. Do you feel that being labeled as hooligan is justified?

4. How can ultras be perceived in a more positive light in lieu of media and/or societal negative perceptions of ultras?

5. Could the sport function without ultras? Why or why not?

2. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Yes, look at american sports. No ultras here and they make more money and are more successful than any other league. MLB, NFL, NBA, Nascar, college football and even the NHL have no ultras and do a better job at selling their seats than most Football leagues, Bundesliga and EPL being the only 2 that can compete, yet they are not even close to the NFL, College Football or MLB.

THOMA GOL repped this.
  3. Krokko

Krokko Member

Nov 16, 2011
    Club:
    AIK Solna
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Ultras is originally an Italian word coming from the political vocabulary (where it means 'extremist' more or less). Here they are considered the 'patological' part of what is called 'tifo' ('support'). I personally think that the ultras have ruined the atmosphere in the Italian stadiums. In the 70s/80s they were perhaps 10-20% of the people in the stands, and even ultras like Roma's CUCS ('Comando Ultras Curva Sud', left-wing) were often good-humoured and funny. Problems started when 90% of ultras became right-wing during the 90s, and racism became an integral part of it all.

Football needs it fans and fans MUST be allowed to make big noise, to use bengals, flags etc: without it, the sport becomes an antiseptic experience. But the fascist elements must be isolated from the rest of the fans if we don't want or stadiums as grim and empty as the Italian ones.

In Sweden I must say the atmosphere is usually very good, despite the extremely low quality of our league (13 years without Swedish teams in the CL!). Even when the game - as it usually does - sucks, people have a good time singing, waving their flags and occasionally using some pyrotechnique (the clubs pay the fines, of course). But there's no political extremism or racism in it, so I guess you can't call the people in the stands ultras.