Per our policy, rep was cleared today...

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by Huss, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would tend to agree, but then I look at a guy like Thomas Flannigan, who has a string of red mipples as long as your...well, you get the idea.

Now some people simply see him as insane, in which case hitting him with neg-rep is sort of like throwing food at the kids eating lunch at the "special" table. Really just not in good taste.

Other people hit him up because they take great exception to his somewhat un-PC views on Title IX and it's effects on college soccer. Now you can view these opinions as being hopelessly troglodyte, neo-victorian drivel if you so choose, but isn't this a place for expressing opinions?

Neg-rep is described as being for "trolling, spamming" and so forth, not simply because I disagree with your incredibly inane, ill-informed, idiotic, retarded, semi'literate mewlings.

Plus, frankly, as that idiot Peter/Kryptonite points out, neg-repping can have ugly consequences. You have to be careful.

I know that in a perfect world, when you open up BS and see that someone has left you a little pile of doody along with a tenderly worded missive calling you a "moronic douchebag", your first reaction ought to be to say to yourself "gee - now I need to look more closely at myself, see myself as others see me, so as to understand this unfortunate reaction which I have provoked from my fellows"

HOWEVER, if you're normal, you go find the last post that SOB left someplace, regardless of the topic, and slam the bastard right back, leaving your own mash note describing in detail how the seventh fleet treated his mother's anus the previous evening.

Or so I've heard.

So if you have but a paltry collection of little green boxes under your name, nailing some guy with 9000 points is...oh, what's the word...really stupid. Your hit will have a virtually unnoticeable effect on him, while his returning the favor will have you still picking red out of your butt when Freddy Adu is conducting his "Retirement Tour"

In conclusion, let me just say that Sneeches with no Stars on Thars are likely inferior anyway, so who really cares?

2. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    So you're saying Flannigan isn't a troll? :confused:

3. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York

I think you're missing a key piece of the puzzle. Without rep threads, rep would have more value. Rep threads are the very reason that your criticisms of rep ring true.

Here's a question to think about: As a frequent, positive, and constructive poster who undoubtedly makes your club team's forum better, do you WANT rep to be more useful? If so, how do you make that happen?

4. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

no, rep hasn't changed big soccer one way or the other ... I'm gonna have fun with it. if they take it away, fine. I just don't see how rep is useful or can be. green nipples do not equal knowledge.

I don't like having ONLY admin's or moderators being allowed to rep ... some of them are as biased or looney as any sock puppet.

5. speedcake

speedcake Member

Dec 2, 1999
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've participated in rep whore threads. I don't take the reputation system seriously as this is a message board on the internet. It isn't church. But after reading this thread I understand that many posters obviously do. I wouldn't mind it if the rep threads are taken away, not a problem really.

Do I think that that would somehow magically make rep more legit? No. I might be proven wrong and it might be worth a shot. If it had a positive affect then super.

But ALL of you know who you can discuss issues with and who you can't discuss issues with in these forums, regardless of how much or how little rep they have. BS got along fine without the nipples for a long time.

I really like the idea of keeping the rep message system as a quicker and easier way to communicate with other posters than PMs. I'd also like to be able to see more comments in my profile than what I can currently see.

6. Neo¹

Neo¹ Member

Sep 17, 2004

Quoted for truth.

7. PYordan

PYordan New Member

Aug 31, 2002
    Pamplona, Spain
    I feel violated. I was so close to a light green.

I'm going to neg rep Huss in retaliation.

8. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Maybe "negrep" is meant figuratively, since Huss wiped out a bunch of rep just now--sort of like a humongous negrep.

9. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That's weird, Huss had one green nipple the other day if I may recall. But now Huss has plenty of green nipples and it only says "Huss is on a distinguished road." What a turn of events.. :D

But, oh well, it is Huss.

10. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    Great post, Bill. Once upon a time, I was perfectly happy to live with one single little green nipple. I was a mono-nippler for more than thee years. But that all changed when someone with a full set of nipplage who cannot accept differences of opinion started to negrep me for the slightes of offenses. My opinions were not stated in an offensive manner (so I thought), just expressing what I thought was right. Getting negrepped into the red in itself did not bother me, except that I could not give the same negative reinforcement back to this out-of-control poster, who obvious held these little green things in high regard.

I think what is flawed is that the value of the reppage varies by how many nipples you have. It should be one man one vote, regardless of how much free time you have to post here, racking up nipples.

11. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    LOL. He must have had a lot of negreps wiped out by this purge. :D

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Correct, sorry for the confusion.

13. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    The rep system should be sent to the Cross.

14. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Huss is Huss. ;)

15. Rudy R9

Rudy R9 New Member

Aug 12, 2004
    Estadio Azteca
    hmm.... Cough,Cough(Metrofreak)Cough,Cough

16. um_chili

um_chili Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    Losanjealous
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost 350 or so points in the last purge. Though I don't covet rep particularly, it was kind of nice to build that up b/c (1) I got all rep points from people who didn't know me from adam but thought I'd made a post of some quality; and (2) never got a neg-rep. I think that if my rep were something that I'd gamed--e.g., by going to forums where it's artificially inflated--it wouldn't mean that much to me and wouldn't seem like a bummer when lost.

But another problem with rep is that it's not regulated (i.e., anyone can give rep for any reason) and isn't subject to any standards (i.e., there is no agreed upon reason to give it). I'd typically give out rep only when someone said something particularly useful/original/interesting, and sometimes when a post was laugh-out-loud funny. I don't think though that we can really place too much weight on this kind of "good" when it is not scarce nor invested with any particular value.

That said, it looks like I'm on a distinguished road. Again.

17. mad theory

mad theory New Member

May 10, 2004
    London
    it so happens all the posters will numerous red nipples, lost alot of neg reps too.

if i'm correct ToonUSA has now 2 full green nipples!! :eek:

18. Reycd

Reycd Member

May 6, 2003
    HONK!! HONK!!
    Club:
    Real Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    Tahiti
    damnit.. now I have to start again..

19. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I lost about 1200. Oh well easy come easy go.

20. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    So I have a different question - I've gotten rep from some people in the last couple of weeks, and it seems that it is worth significantly less than the rep I got from the same people back in June. (And these people generally have the same amount of green nipples).

Did something change in how the point value is calculated for the rep when it is given? Is the way the point value is calculated posted anywhere?

21. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I've noticed that too. I have received rep from mods with plenty of green nipples and my points only increase by a little (5 points approximately), while back before the rep clearance rep by mods would increase the points by much.

22. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't be surprised if they scaled the points back a little bit. Before this last wipe out, there was someone you could receive rep from where it was worth 78 points.

23. Hyok

Hyok Member+

Sep 4, 2002
    California
    I knew a guy whose rep was worth 350 points, prior to The Great Rep Purge.

24. 9 Rush

9 Rush Member

Sep 9, 2004
    C'bus
    2 to 5 times a year? This may well be a stupid question, but what is the point of this rep system, if you can only keep rep you earn during 50 days of the year?

If you clear rep earned every 75 days 4 times during any given year, that's 300 days worth. You might as well abolish it altogether.

25. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Hadn't thought of it like that. That's a good point, actually......