PDL Playoffs

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by sounderfan, Jul 16, 2007.

1. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going by your criteria, The Bucks are the best team in the PDL since they won the only division where every team has at least 4 wins. I think you may be on to something here. :D

2. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    I think that you may be more right than your sarcasm was meant to be. Who was the PDL Champion last year?

To prove my point, let's all watch scoreboards this weekend and see how our #5 team (Colorado Rapids U23) does vs. the North West Conference's #1 team.

I know, you all think I am a jerk....or crazy.....or both-- but I am stating a fact.

3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    If BYU comes to play, they'll do just fine.
    This is a club (Cougars) who played eye-to-eye with Chilean 2nd division teams in a trip down there earlier in the year.

You are not a 'jerk,' but where exactly are your facts? Might want to wait until the scores are actually posted. ;)

4. Shipdawg

Shipdawg Member
    Staff Member

Mar 21, 2006
    Clayton, MO
    Club:
    St. Louis Lions
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Come on Colorado...do the Central Conference Proud!!!

The Central Conference is tough. I can't wait to play some of these other teams in the playoffs.

Look out the Lions are on the prowl!!!!

5. opal347

opal347 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 18, 2005
    Clinton Twp, MI
    Club:
    Michigan Bucks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, looks good
    Looks even better when you get the states right :p

Here's the updated table (with teams in the right places):

PDL 2007 Games Points PPG GDPG
    Hampton Roads Piranhas (VA) ** 14 38 2.71 1.93
    BYU Cougars (UT) ** 14 37 2.64 1.50
    Michigan Bucks (MI) ** 14 33 2.36 2.36
    Carolina Dynamo (NC) 14 32 2.29 1.86
    Ocean City Barons (NJ) * 14 31 2.21 1.21
    Laredo Heat (TX) * 13 27 2.08 1.15
    Central Florida Kraze (FL) 15 31 2.07 1.53
    Atlanta Silverbacks U23's (GA) 15 31 2.07 1.07
    San Fernando Valley Quakes (CA) 16 32 2.00 1.06
    Cape Cod Crusaders (MA) * 15 30 2.00 1.00
    Brooklyn Knights (NY) * 15 30 2.00 0.80
    * - made playoffs
    ** - won division

6. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    USL has table wrong. Tacoma WON last night in Spokane, are now 10-3-2.
    http://goaltacoma.blogspot.com/2007/07/beau-show-leads-tide-over-spokane.html

Please correct accordingly. :)

7. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    http://www.venturacountystar.com/news/2007/jul/20/fusion-has-a-lot-riding-on-season-finale/

And of course, if the Fusion win tonight...

8. mauser

mauser Member

Jul 17, 2007
    fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Peculiar how Fresno is being counted out of this one without any games being played yet...

I will be in San Francisco tonight and watch the game tomorrow night and will post as soon as the scores are final...

Good Luck to you all!

9. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  10. joecooll6

joecooll6 New Member

May 2, 2007
    Iowa
    Club:
    Des Moines Menace
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking at any results this season and using them to compare conferences doesnt really tell us much since most of the games played are within your own conference.

11. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think anyone's counting Fresno out at all. In fact, my preference for playoff qualifiers would be SFV Quakes and Fresno.

I'll be at the Ventura-LA Storm game tonight, cheering on LA Storm... I'll post results here too.

12. mauser

mauser Member

Jul 17, 2007
    fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

It's about time someone got it right! It's not until they meet on the pitch, when comparing and contrasting really matters...

adda boy Joe Cooley!!!

13. mauser

mauser Member

Jul 17, 2007
    fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I know what you're doing Sheff... I see those fingers crossed behind your back.

Don't start the JINX man... LOL!:D

14. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, clearly, if Ventura win tonight, I hope you lose tomorrow... thats just good soccer sense ;)

But, in all sincerity, I hope its you and I heading to the playoffs.

15. mauser

mauser Member

Jul 17, 2007
    fresno
    Club:
    Fresno Fuego
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good Luck tonight!!!

16. MenaceFanatic

MenaceFanatic New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    Good luck to all tonight (except for the Thunder Bay Chill for obvious reasons), it appears that the season has been successful and things are coming down to the last couple of games!

17. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    THE QUAKES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS!

On a chilly evening in Ventura County tonight, a little bit of history was made. Ventura County Fusion and Los Angeles Storm played to a goalless 0-0 draw, and when the final whistle blew Ventura's inability to put the ball past the Storm meant that the San Fernando Valley Quakes had qualified for the PDL playoffs for the first time in the franchise's two-year history, after missing out by just a single point last year.

To be fair, Fusion threw absolutely everything at the Storm: for virtually the entire 90 minutes they pummelled the visitors defense with cross after cross, pass after pass, shot after shot. The Quakes certainly owe something to Storm goalkeeper Patrick Lane, who pulled off a string of magnificent second-half saves to keep the game goalless, including one where he fingertipped a wicked 35-yard shot over the bar. Fusion hit the post, hit the crossbar, saw a free kick sail over by inches, and even had a goal disallowed in the last minute of play after the referee called a foul for a push on the goalkeeper. But, in the end, the Gods were smiling on Granada Hills.

The result means that the Quakes will travel to the playoffs for the first time, where they will face Northwest qualifiers Tacoma Tide and BYU Cougars. The fourth and final playoff spot will be decided next week, and will go to either Fresno, Ventura or San Jose, depending on the results of the Fresno-San Francisco game tomorrow, and the San Jose-San Francisco game on Sunday.

Depending on who qualifies, the playoffs will take place next weekend in either Fresno or Ventura; details of game times and opponents will be posted here as soon as they are available.

www.quakessoccer.com

(apologies for the cross-posting; I'm putting this same match report in all the threads I have contributed to about the Quakes and the playoffs)

18. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What if San Jose qualifies ahead of Fresno and Ventura?

19. SheffWedFan

SheffWedFan Member

Dec 23, 2005
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Then I *think* they'll be in Provo, UT. We didn't bid to host them, and as far as I am aware neither the Frogs or Tacoma did either - so BYU is the only other place available.

Actually, USL HQ weren't very clear on what would happen if San Jose qualify instead of Fusion or Fuego. The press release I saw said that Fresno have the winning bid, and Ventura have the runner-up bid.

20. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Congrats to the Quakes.
    I know what it means to be a fan of a second-year club that makes the playoffs for the first time. ;)

21. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    PDL playoffs update:
    http://www.uslsoccer.com/postseason/PDL/index_E.html

NOTE:

It is possible that San Jose Frogs could qualify ahead of both Fresno and Ventura. If they do...it is up in the air as to where the playoffs will be hosted!

However, 3 of the 4 teams in the playoff field have been decided with last night's 0-0 draw between Ventura and LA Storm:

BYU
    Tacoma
    San Fernando Valley

the last spot will go to...

San Jose Frogs, Fresno Fuego or Ventura County Fusion.

Matches:

July 21 Fresno Fuego at SF Seals, 7 PM
    Fresno wins, they are in. A draw would mean they would need a Frogs draw or loss the next night to get in on the goal differential tiebreaker, which they lead over the Fusion 11 goals to 9. A loss eliminates them.

July 22 San Jose Frogs at SF Seals 7 PM
    If Fresno draws or loses, a Frogs win puts them in. A draw eliminates them.

The Ventura County Fusion are in the unenviable spot of having to wait on possibly two match results. They need a draw or loss from Fresno and a draw or loss from San Jose. If either of those teams gets a win at San Francisco, the Fusion are out.

Even though the Seals are out of the playoffs, they are helping to decide who is in!

22. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I just want to calrify for anyone coming to watch the Seals games at Negoesco this weekend that they are at 4:00pm PACIFIC/7:00pm EASTERN ..

Should be an exciting two games for the the Seals as they try to play spoiler to Ventura/Fresno/San Jose ...

23. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Should be a fun game. Be sure to stop by and say hi to fellow bigsoccer posters and PDL fans. Most of the Seals staff posts on these boards either in the Seals forum or in the San Jose forum ...

24. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks! Should have caught that!
    Please post scores as soon as you can.

25. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    No problem. We actually had a few fans last year that came to our games not realizing it was pacific time instead of eastern time.

We'll post the results as soon as we can ...