PBP Thread: Match #8, Croatia vs Nigeria, 16 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    For me Ighalo just doesn't suit a lone forward role. If I were to play him it would be with a partner. Even Rohr must know that he'll have to change the system against Iceland but I'm not sure what he'll actually do. Strange about playing Iwobi wide because he's probably been Nigeria's most effective option centrally when I've seen him play there.

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Hey Pep get off these boards!!

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  3. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Very puzzling starting lineup from Rohr, but fair play to Croatia. They attacked Nigeria's known weaknesses, set-piece defending.

Let's face it, This Nigerian team struggles to score goals. If you can score against Nigeria, you will probably win.

Croatia are now in the driver's seat in this group. As for Nigeria, simply not good enough today. Prospects of getting out of this group not looking good at all.

Oh well, on to the next game.

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Something Iceland does better than Croatia did today. I really wonder how Nigeria-Iceland will play out.

5. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    It was funny watching you guys win with intelligence lmao.

6. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I have no expectations. Rohr is a stubborn old mule. He will probably play the exact same personnel and formation against Iceland.

This Nigerian team is unrecognizable as a Nigerian team. Too slow and lethargic, with very predictable buildup play.

I am already looking forward to the next African Cup. I don't expect much from this WC anymore. I hope Rohr leaves after this tournament.

7. EDonEnta

EDonEnta Member

Nigeria
    Jun 2, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Pathetic performance from Nigeria. Croatia only had one shot on goal the entire game (their penalty) and still won.

I am beginning to think we should go back to a 16 team WC. I don't need this shiat.

8. catenaccio_L'pool

Oct 21, 2005
    Top Of The Table
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Odd game, not many chances, 3 points in the bag.
    Next up, Argentina. Messi will be angry after the Iceland game :).

monere repped this.
  9. JoCryuff98

JoCryuff98 Member+

Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jan 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Something tells me that Argentina vs Croatia will be a better game than Portugal vs Spain.

10. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to the game yesterday... here r th goals so u can relive vicariously...

Goal #1 -

Goal #2 - Modrics penalty....

JoseEmidio and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  11. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I wonder the same thing.. because i believe Iceland have the ability of beating Nigeria.. and especially if they put out the same line up they did today v Croatia.

Iceland have been able to top a group with Croatia in it during qualifying.. hold Portugal to a draw in Euro 16.. hold Argentina to a draw in this WC.. they have proven they can score goals.. not at a high rate.. but can score..

Not sure how this Nigerian team who is now in must win mode considering they play Argentina in their 3rd match is going to win this game.. their attack looked very poor.. and Icelands defensive set up and counter attack game is very spot on..

I also think Croatia can pull off an upset v Argentina (is this even an upset?) considering how poor the Argentinian midfield/defence is and showed itself again today v Iceland.. We can talk about Argentina missing the PK.. but in truth.. Iceland missed a couple of great goal scoring opportunities aswell that SHOULD have resulted in goals. Chances were missed on both sides and the offensive fire power between Argentina/Nigeria are at very different levels.

Kamtedrejt and monere repped this.
  12. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Do you believe it will make a difference? angry or not.. he will still need the midfield to do its job and defence to stand on its head. Can they do this? Messi will only provide the goals.. he can not stop them from going on..

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Do you find yourself to be a very negative person? it appears to me you are rather negative.. or your simply a realistic.. not sure..

I ask only because i want to get a feel for Nigeria moving forward.. do you truly feel Nigeria are done? or are you speaking out of emotion from the game that took place a few hours ago?

14. monere

monere Guest

I haven't seen many coaches leaving out of initiative. They all love money, so you'll have to fire him :D

15. monere

monere Guest

something tells me that something tells you that it's true :)

16. monere

monere Guest

As a neutral fan I share his feelings, too. I just don't see the Nigerians putting up any memorable display at this WC. They looked so uncreative and slow against a team that they planned not to lose to. So, this guy's feelings are kind of justified

17. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #192 Kamtedrejt, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    My friend I don't hate CAF teams. I have a lot of respect for your Nigerian team. Talented and young side. In most groups I would have predicted you to advance but not in this Group D. Get over it mate. Why would I hate African teams as an Albanian? I predicted Tunisia to advance in a group with Belguim and England. If I would hate CAF teams I wouldn't do this obviously. The truth is that want to see diversity in the Round of 16. If possible I want to see at least one team of each confederation advancing. However this is a World Cup on European soil and therefore UEFA teams are somewhat at advantage. I did some research sone time ago and found out that there is only 12% chance of a team advancing that lost its first game. So I guess things look not good now for Egypt, Morocco and Nigeria. Let's hope Senegal and Tunisia will get something out of their first game. Otherwise a disaster for CAF might be on the cards. Good luck for your team against Iceland.

18. TheHitman47

TheHitman47 Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

He is sad because our coach is an idiot.

EDonEnta repped this.
  19. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think its a general feeling.

Nigeria has the players. But Rohr is stubborn. He's been playing a 4-2-3-1 formation with Ighalo as the spearhead and Iwobi as a left winger since Moses Simon went injured. Nigeria have looked terrible in each and every game they played this. But he persists on doing the same thing over and over. I would feel much better, if Nigeria had at least put up a fight.

If Rohr changes the tactics and some of the personnel maybe Nigeria can go forward. The only way Nigeria beat Iceland is with Iheanacho who adds an x-factor. Even yesterday - Iheanacho didn't get the ball much, but when he did Croatia looked vulnerable. Iheanacho stats also don't lie - 8 goals, 4 assists in 1080 minutes of football, including a goal and two assists in 60 minutes vs Argentina. You need to start him.

Also - Rohr didn't really replace Moses Simon. He may have been more pivotal than previously believed. He's a good crosser for one and good at cutting in from the flank. Yes, he'll lose more than enough dribbles, but he's pretty effective. Right now there is no left winger and Rohr stubbornly decided to omit Onyekuru, Samuel Kalu, Bonaventure, Olayinka - all of which had good seasons as left wingers in Belgium.

This group of players can obviously play better. But they have lost something since last year.

20. monere

monere Guest

I never understood this statement. Care to explain what the advantages of euro teams are for playing in europe? If I recall well, europeans did well at most WC (Japan, South Africa and Brazil) that have been played outside of our continent, so how on earth are we at advantage in europe? I just don't get this

21. Testator

Testator Member+

Glasgow Celtic
    Croatia
    Sep 5, 2017
    Croatian coast
    I, as a Croat, was scared of Nigerian midfielders overpowering Rakitić and Modrić. But, they never tried it in the first half. Only in the second half did Nigeria start to run at us. Strange.

22. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Well... the progression rate from group stage at non-European World Cup has been comparitively low.

HansWorldCup and Kamtedrejt repped this.
  23. monere

monere Guest

not to be a smartass or anything, but do you have a statistic or something? I'd really like to see this cause I hear lots of people saying the same thing about european teams and I'm really intrigued :)

24. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I can't explain it either. But if you look back the history shows us that European soil World Cups are dominated by UEFA teams. They mostly won the whole thing and had more teams advancing to the Round of 16 than in World Cups on other continents. So it suggests there is some sort of advantage. Europe is Europe. The surroundings ambience are somewhat similiar in all European countries and familiar to the UEFA teams. Compare that with South Africa where we had Vuvuzelas and the whole stuff and while it was an all UEFA final UEFA teams struggled big time to make it out of their groups.

zahzah repped this.
  25. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    1998 (France): 66% of UEFA teams make it out of group (10 in 15)
    2002 (South Korea and Japan): 53% of UEFA teams make it out of group (8 in 15)
    2006 (Germany): 71% of UEFA teams make it out of group (10 in 14)
    2010 (South Africa): 46% of UEFA teams make it out of group (6 in 13)
    2014 (Brasil): 46% of UEFA teams make it out of group (6 in 13)
    2018 (Russia): So far the worst UEFA result is a draw - minnows Iceland vs Argentina. All the other results have been wins (Spain - Portugal excluded of course).

There is no science behind it. It just seems to happen.
    I once so the point average between a European World Cup and a non-European World Cup. It was very significant.

JoseEmidio, Kamtedrejt and monere repped this.