PBP Thread: Match #5, France vs Australia, 16 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP C: France, Peru, Denmark, Australia' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Denmark is actually my Dark Horse because they are a surprising team: they don't play the typical physical Scandinavian style, they are quite capable of defending Italian style and can pass the ball around fairly well.

If they finish second, they have a very interesting path: either Croatia or Argentina in the R16 (winnable), then Uruguay/Russia/Portugal/Spain in QF (all of them winnable except for Spain, but due to the coach crisis even Spain may be vulnerable now).

So it's possible a semifinal run for the Danes.

2. BrahmaBull

BrahmaBull Member

AS Saint-Etienne
    France
    May 7, 2014
    Italy
    Club:
    AS Saint Étienne
    Nat'l Team:
    France

Well everyone have their own point of view, and we have seen only one match of each team so far, but currently I don’t think this Denmark team can go past the likes of Croatia or Argentina :p
    Even though Argentina have been disappointing in their first match people (especially non europeans) tend to underestimate a lot Iceland, and since the beginning I’m rating Croatia to top this group as they really have a lot of quality.

I need to see what Danish guys will do against Australians, but for now despite their win, I am more scared of Peru.

Pipiolo repped this.
  3. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    This is actually almost exactly what one of the Swedish football experts at Fotbollskanalen (The football channel) also predict ... Denmark to lose by 0-2 to Germany in the Semi-Finals ... but Eriksen need to play much betten than the unusual poor corners and set pieces he delivered against Peru, if Denmark is to get very far ...

4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You make it sound like Denmark could hardly string two passes together and was playing like headless chickens throughout the match ... As I saw it, Peru started best ... then Denmark slowly took control and also had most possession up until the 1-0 goal in the 2nd half, when Denmark then went into total defensive mode to keep the lead ... you can always argue if they could have defended better or higher at the end, but fact is that Peru did not manage to score ...

But lets have a look at the match stats :

Possession : Peru 52% v 48% Denmark
    passes . Peru 394 v 342 Denmark
    pass accuracy : Peru 85% v 82% Denmark
    balls recovered Peru 42 v 40 Denmark
    tackles Peru 12 v 11 Denmark
    blocks Peru 2 v 5 Denmark
    clearances Peru 19 v 20 Denmark

Attempts on target: Peru 6 v 3 Denmark
    Corners: Peru 3 v 7 Denmark
    offside: : Peru 5 v 3 Denmark

5. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    Peru did not manage to score due to their inability to actually score (and GK interventions), not because Denmark defended well

A semi final run will require an improved defensive performance because you will face teams that have more clinical players and probably wont be as forgiving or shooting straight at the gk

Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    You mean like ze Germans ? ;)

condor11 repped this.
  7. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    was actually thinking more like the Croatians or Argentinians (r16) :cool:

8. Mr X

Mr X Member

Denmark
    Jun 6, 2012
    Fair enough. I might suffer from confirmation bias because of my disappointment and surprise by Peru's brilliant attacking strength and high pressure. I might have to re-watch the game sometime (when I'm emotionally ready).

My original point still stands though. Denmark has a lot to prove in the Australian game. There's a lot that needs to go different. Åge and his team got a pretty serious wake up call and the verdict is still out on how they're going to handle it. On paper Denmark should be a favorites to win judging from player quality, qualification and friendlies results but most of it comes down to daily form and momentum plus the fact that the Danish team seem to have two different faces. The one that demolishes Poland 4-0 and the one that has trouble against the likes of Panama. You never really know what side is gonna show up. Added to the fact that Australia looks like much stronger side than what most expected.

I believe in a Danish win but I'm really worried. I still remember when Japan trashed Denmark 3-1 in the last WC Denmark attended.

9. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  10. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    #135 Ceres, Jun 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Well Peru looked at least a level better against Denmark in compare with Mexico that we beat 2-0 in our last friendly before this WC, so I suspect that Peru is also better than both Germany and Croatia at the moment ... Argentina seem to depend even more on Messi than Denmark depend on Eriksen, considering that Eriksen is more of a team player, while Argentina seem to leave everything up to Messi, like if they are affraid of doing much on their own without first getting his approval... and this is not really good for the team ...

11. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I didn't see any panic. Concern, yes. But I believe any team in this tournament should be concerned about facing Peru. I actually thought Denmark handled the pressure well. They were never going to match Peru in quickness and energy.

Well, goalkeeping and central defense is one of the strengths of the team. It's normal for a team to rely on its strength. If Denmark is to continue in this tournament, they will have to keep getting these performances from Schmeichel and Christensen.

12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Next match threads are now open. :)