PBP Thread: Match #16, Colombia vs Japan, 19 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Member+

Jun 23, 2002
    #326 shnaggletooth, Jun 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
    I'm being facetious implying that Colombians will kill their soccer players for making a mistake in the World Cup; the overwhelming vast majority would obviously do no such thing, and, back in 1994, were outraged that Escobar was murdered.

However, unless you have some evidence to the contrary, there's no reason to think the low-lifes who killed Escobar did it for any other reason other than the own goal.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/05/13/world-cup-countdown-6-weeks-go-own-goal-killed-andres-escobar

2. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Exaggerating much? Interest is a bit more than zero gauging from the celebrations there ...

KAPIJXM repped this.
  3. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    i was in shibuya last night. More police than celebrants.

4. monere

monere Guest

Thanks buddy. I will be fully honest, I am insightful indeed (like many others on this forum), but I do troll quite often, so I wouldn't dismiss his observation :)

I jump from one state of the mind to another quite often and easily (yes, I'm a bit mentally unstable), so I get triggered quickly, but I get back to normal as fast :D

For the future, when you feel like I'm trolling just ignore me, and only mind my serious replies. It's better for everyone :)

5. monere

monere Guest

Colombia got beat fair and square indeed, because they made a mistake and it was only natural for them to suffer the consequences. But nah... I'm not gonna stop being a troll. I like it :D

6. fademan77

fademan77 Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't think you watched the same game we did.

7. monere

monere Guest

everyone is free to think whatever they like, so no problem

8. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    Morocco keeps waiting for referee to solve their scoring problem. I don't understand why they don't just calm down and score a goal themselves.

9. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Furnaccio and KAPIJXM repped this.
  10. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
  11. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I obviously respect your opinion but before the tournament not many saw Japan fighting for the qualification. Also, if we take it squad vs. Squad on paper Colombia is a clear favorite here. I don't want to underestimate Japan's victory because they did a wonderful job, but it's clearly disappointing that we didn't able to take the 3 points vs. The less strongest team of the group.

12. KAPIJXM

KAPIJXM Member+

Nov 18, 2011
    Illa de Arousa,Spain
    Club:
    Celta de Vigo
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I respect your opinion too. About that Colombia is a better team I'm agree with you, but we are talking right now, I mean, what I understand for a "modest" team is a national (or club) with not much history and titles. And since early 2000s I think Japan has accomplished a good amount of success (1999 u-20 WC runner-up, some Asian Cups and even they play a Confederation Cup final in 2001, a minor title, but is an official one after all). Maybe you have a different meaning of modest, so if is that, I apologize for my comment.

And with all of my respects to the other 2 teams in the group, I don't think they are better than Japan, if you quit Lewandowski, Poland has some good players, same as Japan, and with Senegal is something similar with Mane. Maybe Japan doesn't have a World Class player (not my opinion, but yes the majority one) but it has a solid squad that can fight against most of the team in this World Cup. Sorry if I sound biased, but is my humble opinion about the group.

13. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In this case, it's basically trolling. Japan comprehensively outplayed Colombia for long stretches of the match and had the better chances. Colombia simply isn't nearly as good as hyped, and Japa certainly looked every bit their equal on the day. Maybe Colombia wins 6 of 10.

(I just checked eloratings.net, and they have Colombia winning 7 of 10)

KAPIJXM repped this.
  14. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    They were playing a man down the entire match, you can't take much away from this match.

15. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    From what the players and coach has said, they're planning on making up for this terrible mistake. They feel the weight of the fans and their responsibilities to play their hardest come Sunday.

That being said, this is nerve wrecking because their mentality is what holds them back from their potential.

16. AKITOD

AKITOD Member+

Apr 5, 2007
    Hobart, Aust
    Club:
    JEF United Ichihara
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    no worries, 3 points will do ;)