PBP Thread: Match #15, Poland vs Senegal, 19 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan' started by Paul Calixte, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Portugal seeded is fine. Poland on the other hand...

2. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I just finished watching today's games on DVR, and I found Poland's apathy very strange. They didn't even seem to have a sense of urgency, after they got one back. Time running out, and players exchanging who should take a throw in? Poland strangely didn't seem to believe that they could still tie the came.

Anyway, finally an African team was able to do well, and I liked this part. But this game wasn't as entertaining as many others.

As for Colombia, South American teams continue to do poorly. Only Uruguay won the first round, and with a late goal, after struggling a lot. It doesn't seem like this Cup, played in Europe, will be favorable to South Americans (as usual; only one South American team ever won a Cup in Europe).

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Spain & Croatia should have been seeded over Poland & Belgium.

4. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Toss up between Croatia and Belgium. It isn't as Croatia have had overwhelmingly better results in ofiicial games than Belgium (in fact, it's been the opposite).

5. deyna199

deyna199 Member

Sep 6, 2005
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Congrats to Senegal - I think defensively and physically they shut us down really well, we could not find any space and our passing became poorer and poorer.

I think Poland could have at least gotten a tie out of this game, but here we are. I thought the second goal was terrible at this level, and should not happen. Poland morale/confidence seemed low and more nervous after the second goal - I think all Polish fans knew it was over.

I hope we can find the courage/spirit and quality to win the next game and ultimately qualify, but it won't be easy. Poland too soft again mentally on the big stage :(

6. vancity eagle

vancity eagle Member+

Apr 6, 2006
    Hopefully Senegal will have 6 points by then and just be playing with confidence and not under pressure.

I think Senegal matches up best against Japan, they should not underestimate them, but be ruthless and finish the job, I didn't like the way Senegal ended the game today.

Senegal can beat this Colombia team but I think a draw is very likely.

7. RadixG

RadixG Member

May 25, 2018
    Ok Poland has been very disappointing so far especially when they have a very good generation of players Lewandowski Krychowiak Milik etc, but what about this Senegal with a new talented generation also something fresh and quality Mane Koulibaly Gueye etc that barely anyone talks about it. They are at the same (or even a bit higher) level.

TheHitman47 repped this.
  8. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    I'm not sure, but they didn't look convincing today. Senegal outplayed Poland but not in a way that would sway anyone. Let's see how the teams do on Sunday, if Senegal puts in a stellar performance that shows it has attacking potential people will hop on that wagon.

9. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    A bit weird game. Senegal dominated physically, while Poland looked apathetic and passed the ball poorly. Hence Senegal dominated the midfield. Poland rarely threatened going forward and Lewandowski was isolated sardined in between Koulibaly and Sane. Lewandowski did have one nice run which ended with a Salif Sane yellow card, but that was the extent of his involvement yesterday. Apparently Milik was playing, but he was missing in action.

The Polish coach really made a weird setup with Zielinski playing as a holding midfielder.

Not a half full of chances. Senegal got penetration and looked the more threatening of the two, but always seemed to be tackled off of the final ball. Senegal were fast, physical, confident on the ball, but the finishing department is still a bit of a worry. The goal when it came was from a shot by Gueye, which deflected off of Cionek, ending in an own goal. Nothing that could be done there.

The second half continued with Senegal not really being pressured and venturing on the odd counterattack. Sadio Mane was the worst of the Senegalese forwards. Poland getting almost no penetration, but managed one or two dangerous situations. The lethargic approach was reminiscent of the Nigerian performance vs Croatia. The setup was all wrong, people out of position, plus Blaszczykowski failed to finish the game.

The second Senegalese game came after a massive fortunate turn, when Niang was waved onto the field, but just a few moments later Krychowiak made an odd high ball back pass. The GK and the Polish defender were left napping, when Niang ran onto the field to nick the high ball from between the two and score to an empty goal.

After that Poland never looked like they would score, but did off of a well taken freekick. It got a bit nervy for Senegal afterwards, but in truth they didn't panic and was a fairly comfortable 2:1 win.

Froboy69 repped this.
  10. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Actually in the initial group thread it was mentioned that Senegal probably has the slightly better set of players.

RadixG repped this.
  11. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Class.

1009162974551035904 is not a valid tweet id

EDonEnta repped this.
  12. gumishq

gumishq New Member

FC Barcelona
    Spain
    Jun 19, 2018
    Poland was the worst of the teams that have played in this tournament - just plain lousy and I am saying this as a Polish guy - those other underdogs in this tournament at least had spirits to fight - Poland has shown neither skill or the will to fight - I had illusions about our team but I was rudely awaken from the dream

13. spc3sc

spc3sc Member+

Jul 24, 2008
    Club:
    Sporting Cristal Lima
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Enjoyed seeing Aliou Cisse here, a legend as a player in WC 2002 and now leading Senegal as their passionate manager.

14. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    I think that's the way forward for African teams. Getting their former players to become coaches and to lead the way. Not each such coach will be a gem, but there is a big chance for them to play football optimally suited to the team mentality.