PBP/Post: Columbus v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 4, 2019.

1. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    So Bill, I do admire your knowledge but where to do see Unkel making contact with Acosta? The only angle we have is from the sideline camera. There's no perception of depth. Yes, as someone who reffed and saw many ignorant parents yelling from the sideline for fouls they thought they saw because of their visual angle, I can tell you for certain that I have no clue if there was contact between the two or not. If someone posts a shot from behind the goals, then we can have a definite.

And, yes, sometimes the toughest call is from "3 inches" away when you're staring at two players coming at you and not looking down at the feet of these players.

Take off your Crew blinders or continue with your "we are victims" rage. I really don't care. I'm looking forward to taking my wife to Wednesday's game and hope we actually score a goal that's not a gift from a keeper.

2. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I saw the freeze frame. Did they show the slow motion on how the foot got on top of Trapp's? Trapp put his leg out. From the video it looks like Trapp puts his leg out there and seems to kick Acosta. It could also be Acosta trying to spin away from Unkel, landing on Trapp's foot and falling down. I don't thing it was enough to overturn but to say that Unkel crashed into Acosta blah blah blah and therefore we got robbed is nonsense.

3. BigStern

BigStern Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Oct 2, 2018
    Columbus by way of Lima
    Here's your West Ham Sandwich Good/Bad/Ugly Presented by BigStern:

Good: At least Porter gets to rail on the officiating. I loved Santos "goal". Not real sure why Robinho didn't get credit for his "goal", it's not like Hamid threw the ball in the goal, he just didn't make the save. Good things happen when the ball gets directed towards the net, who woulda thought. Zack had another highlight save on Rooney and could have had the PK save if Rooney didn't place it perfectly. I love Zack.

Bad: Marking on the set piece goal allowed. Now I know why players line up way offside on set pieces since no one was even close to accounting for Acosta. But not only that, most of the team took off for a chance on a breakaway instead of staying home to make the clearance. The team's mental state was garbage after the bad call.

Ugly: The attack is still ugly. The up the middle attack moved the ball in a different fashion than our all crosses everywhere attack from the previous matches but the endgame was still too many passes, not enough shots. Porter gets a day to bitch about the officiating but his number one problem is still the attack. Even if the disallowed goal would have stayed, I'm not sure Crew win that game.

Table Finish Prediction based on Match 11 Performance: 8th through 12th. It's weird, we know this team can finish middle of the table (they did last year and I can't imagine two missing fullbacks is why it's so much worse). I anticipated a step back but we're beyond that. Right now, we're only ahead of Bridgeview, FCC, and the Revs on PPG (with Orlando and RBNY only slightly better). RBNY is most definitely a better team. That leaves Crew in a fight with 4 other non-playoff teams to stay out of the basement. That is a failing performance by all parties. Porter isn't going to be fired but he should have to answer for the team's performance. Eventually he won't have "but the crosses" or "but the officiating". What will he do then? That's the intrigue for the remainder of the season. Barf.

4. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    DGA KHT

[​IMG]

In case you forgot, DC has a history of divers. Acosta dove and got rewarded.

DGA57v2 and TyphonInc repped this.
  5. Cowtown Felipe

Cowtown Felipe Member+

Mar 12, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Care to start an Unkel Family Fanclub? You guys got hosed by Ted as center ref. We (FC Dallas) got hosed by Christina as VAR ref at Houston

TyphonInc, kgilbert78, TRUJDUB and 3 others repped this.
  6. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I think every fanbase who doesn't have an aged Euro Super Star, or is not Atlanta United nor LAFC is eligible to join this group.

7. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Jimmy and Dee were supposedly at the game. I don’t know how they could witness the event and walk away with a good feeling. Maybe they’ll do something about it, maybe they won’t.
    Dr Pete said many times, the ownership wants this club to win. The inside word from MLS pundits was The Crew would spend money.
    We need a goal scoring winger. We need a goal scoring #8. We need better backup defenders. We’ll need a keeper. Etc etc.

8. 110toyourleft

110toyourleft Member+

Jan 27, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why did they review it? He was standing right there, how could he not see it?

ZipSix and the_rickler repped this.
  9. ibrew

ibrew Member+

Feb 3, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Aside from one of the 2 side angle shots that show's Unkel's leg colliding with Acosta's, I think some additional evidence is that after Unkel collides with Acosta, he immediately puts both hands up making the universal sign for "I didn't just foul that guy that everyone saw me foul" I've never seen a ref do it, but there's a first time for everything. Also Acosta is leaning backwards jamming on the breaks with both feet trying his best to avoid running straight into Unkel Dum Dum. Any contact was going to knock him over.

ZipSix repped this.
  10. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I just looked at the rankings and it seems we are still in a playoff position. I laughed way too hard when I saw that.

11. chr1st

chr1st Member+

Jan 19, 2011
    Dayton
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're out on PPG.

12. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That seems more realistic.

I was looking at that and thinking we are nowhere near ready to be a playoff team.

13. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is such a pathetic hose job, and we'll know the quality of the league if Unkel refs any games in the next three weeks.

14. WhiteHartShame

WhiteHartShame Member+

Nov 16, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is some more video evidence that Trapp did nothing to Acosta, it was Unkel who knocked him down. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...ually-take-down-luciano-acosta-instant-replay

stanger and don gagliardi repped this.
  15. TRUJDUB

TRUJDUB Member+

Nov 22, 2015
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The idiots on this clip agree it’s a foul on Trapp lol

Unkel hits Acosta , Acosta of balance falls down and yes there was minimal foot to foot contact between Trapp and Acosta ( after Unkels contact) and like Bill Archer stated it is not enough contact to ever be a foul it’s 100% the refs fault . The fact that he let it go then decides to overrule that call should get him suspended for lack of integrity

TyphonInc, puttputtfc and don gagliardi repped this.
  16. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It's from the MLS site so I won't bother to click on it. Thanks for the heads up.

17. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was over in the DC stream of consciences thread, where post about the Capitols were being made.

And not one single negative remark was made. Weird. Right?

18. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #193 TyphonInc, May 7, 2019
    Last edited: May 7, 2019
    Oh, "used to be ref" have you watched the play? I would assert that you have your Anti-Crew blinders on and are just arguing to argue.

Here's a soft ball for yah: The Crew wore Yellow on Saturday. Fill free to VAR and argue that statement all you want.

It's more controversial than the reality of: There was no foul by Trapp on the play in question.

Common sense shows us:
    A foul by Zardes on DC defender.
    Possession by DC.
    Unkel calling for a play on, while looking at DC #29 control the ball, and not looking at where he was running. (side bar, I warn my 5 year against this constantly.)
    If not for Unkel, Acosta would have got to the ball first.
    But, Unkel impeded Acosta, Acosta throws his arms up in a defensive position and starts to fall back.
    Trapp beats Acosta to the ball (Due to Unkel's impediment,)
    Acosta barely steps on Trapp, if at all.
    Acosta flicks his foot towards Unkel and falls down backward.
    Unkel throws up his hands in the infamous "I didn't do it", but we all know you did pose.

Assumed outcomes:
    Acosta flopped for the foul, and after the goal was scored Acosta rewarded inaccurately by Unkel and VAR.

Unkel was in the wrong position. Unkel lead to the turn over. Unkel was the reason Acosta flopped backward. Unkel cowardly reversed the call.

19. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Our team gave up 3 goals and only had two shots on goal all game. Our only goal was caught by DC's keeper and thrown into his own net.

It's three days after the match and we are still talking about the ref.

DGA57v2 and hungariansteven repped this.
  20. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Our team needs vast improvement. In multiple places.

In defense of my 3 day complaint of the Ref, it was an all time epic blunder.

21. hungariansteven

hungariansteven Member+

May 29, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    dammit, stop making me feel sad again by giving doses of reality.

22. TyphonInc

TyphonInc Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jul 3, 2018
    Dublin, OH
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reality. Blue Jackets got eliminated last night. :cry:

hungariansteven repped this.
  23. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hamid did not *throw* the ball into his own net. What keeper would actually do that?? You’re doing what you accuse Stanger of doing—making statements to fit your narrative.
    It was a howler of a save attempt and I have no idea why it was called an own goal.

24. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you not see the part where our legitimate opening goal was taken off the board? I don't think anyone reasonable disagrees that this team is a catastrophic mess right now. It just happens to be a catastrophic mess of a team that was subject to injustice.

I'm sure we'll all have lots of time to dissect the fact that Justin Meram's career is dead and buried, and his continuing appearance on the field is an insult to the very concept of human effort, after our upcoming losses to Guillermo and Los Angeles Football Craft.

25. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It also for me cemented that Hamid is behind Horvath and Johnson as backups to BMF in the Gold Cup.