PBP/Post: Columbus v DC United

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Kyle Crew, May 4, 2019.

1. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    You've scored an own goal.

Good for you.

DAFCrew, TKyle, redi44crew and 4 others repped this.
  2. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hang, you ignorant slut.

He stood up and will take the hit ( probably around 20k, which he can afford and which the club will find a way to reimburse him for anyway - "So you say that hotel breakfast was 18 bucks and you left a $19, 982 tip coach?") because he has to keep faith with his players.

Screw the fans. He knows that winning is the only thing that will get them to love him, and also that he has a five year five million dollar contract which is not.dependent on whether a bunch of internet shut ins on BS like the cut of his jib.

TRUJDUB and jack sticker repped this.
  3. LaMacchia

LaMacchia Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In my perfect world scenario, Sweet Dee or Jimmy steps up to pay the fine and make a statement out of it: "I support my coach, and I don't see anything wrong with what he said."

And then donates a tidy sum to a youth soccer referee training organization.

Kryptonite and TKyle repped this.
  4. jack sticker

jack sticker Red Card

Rangers
    United States
    Jun 5, 2018
    Please start a podcast

don gagliardi and russ repped this.
  5. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This whole episode stands apart from the losing streak, of course. You can address an egregious reffing error that may have had an impact on the match and have that be a legitimate, even necessary thing to do, while not taking away from the fact that we're still one of the poorest offensive clubs in MLS and that our once solid defense has become leaky, as well. I mean, just when you think it can't get worse, it does.

It is what it is and 2019 is going to be a miserable season. We need new talent on this roster. A lot of new talent. We need ownership to advocate for this club at the league level to an extent that no previous owner has; about player acquisition, schedule, national TV exposure. Shitty refs in MLS aren't new, of course. Porter said himself that he didn't think refereeing to this point had been an issue for us, so he hasn't said anything about it previously. It's a thing, a reality in MLS. But it's not the thing we really need to be focusing on long-term. We need this new ownership, new FO and new coaching staff to get us a roster that can complete and win in this league. We may be the victim in terms of last night's refereeing, but it's never a good idea to play the victim, take on that role. That's for losers.

TyphonInc, crew2112, DAFCrew and 2 others repped this.
  6. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can see Porter pause before unleashing. He has the backing of the owners.

I suppose you could see it as a redirect from the glaring issue that this team is three years past having any sort of on the field contention. Or you could see it as a coach calling out a shit call and shit league treatment.

Maybe even both together.

TyphonInc repped this.
  7. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    There was more than one ref error last night but our lack of intensity showed. We were beaten to balls all night and it's inexcusable. On DC's third goal, what the hell is Mensah doing? It's bad enough he gets stripped but did he even try to make it back?

hangthadj repped this.
  8. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dont know explicitly what the MLS rule is on this but most professional leagues specifically prohibit owners paying fines for coaches. Its bullshit of course - once they allow it one time, every coach and then every player will expect the same thing, rendering fines pointless and (the real point) costing the owners a bunch of money.

But of course its done all the time in situations like this. If you go nuts and punch some refs lights out, thats gonna be on you, but a righteous call out like this...well, like I said, they can find ways to shovel the money his way that nobody will challenge.

And as someone noted above, the owners have his back and he knows it.

LaMacchia and russ repped this.
  9. TKyle

TKyle Moderator
    Staff Member

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Dec 28, 2014
    Nordecke’s Porch
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, that’s exactly what he was thinking about at the time. The fans’ feelings. [emoji849]

10. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    I reffed for many years. Did Trapp commit a foul? Very probable with his right leg. Is it enough to overturn? Probably not. Would we be livid if DC had scored after a similar foul/dispossession? Absolutely.

hangthadj repped this.
  11. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    DC did on the third goal when the handball in the box was ignored. No reason the ref can't VAR that and call back the goal.

Why was sticker red carded?

TRUJDUB repped this.
  12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not that I have a problem with it but hes been tossing around a bunch of threats lately. Punch this guy, kill that guy. I wondered if maybe he was going to run afoul of the po po.

He didn't mean anything by it. Hes just exuberant.

He's a good man. A.good Crew fan. I cant believe he wont be back shortly. A lot easier than it used to be to fool whatever it is.

TKyle, the_rickler and jack sticker repped this.
  13. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Not certain, but I'd imagine he got a big number of points for advocating beating up people, specifically referees. The points will eventually expire. I believe it's the case that with a red, he can view but not post to threads.

Bill Archer and jack sticker repped this.
  14. Kyle Crew

Kyle Crew Member+

Feb 23, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mr. Sticker has a long history of inappropriate posts. To top it off, advocating for refs to be beaten, especially when they are beaten or even murdered with shocking regularity (even here in the US) he hit a tipping point. He’ll be back, its a time out.

ZipSix, Ch(Elsey), Minnman and 5 others repped this.
  15. the_rickler

the_rickler Member+

Feb 9, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Can we have the VAR take a look at Sticker’s posts?

TyphonInc, TRUJDUB, DAFCrew and 7 others repped this.
  16. KHT_Crew

KHT_Crew Member+

Mar 29, 2003
    Queen City, OH
    He's a Crew fan so VAR probably won't end well for him.

TRUJDUB, DAFCrew, Ch(Elsey) and 5 others repped this.
  17. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So now would be a good time for the "Things you want to say to Sticker now that you know he can't reply" thread?

TRUJDUB and jack sticker repped this.
  18. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    We miss you Sticker. Too bad the snowflakes couldn’t handle your posts.
    The Groupthink will continue without you.

TyphonInc, TRUJDUB, CybrSlydr and 6 others repped this.
  19. Flyer Fan

Flyer Fan Member+

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Helicopters are for children...

20. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bullshit.

TyphonInc repped this.
  21. Ch(Elsey)

Ch(Elsey) Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 2, 2003
    Green, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You could just call us “the other.”

22. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone once observed that the worst bullshit he heard in soccer conversations always started with "I'm was a ref for a long time, and....".

I am allowed to observe this because, well, I was a ref for a long time. A very long time.

Bottom line, you can squint, parse and slo-mo yourself into all sorts of knots but at the end of the day it's entirely possible that Trapp made no contact at all - none, zip, nada - with Acosta.

And if there was some contact, it was incidental, contributed nothing to him falling down and does not even begin to fit anything remotely close to what the term "tripping" means to normal humans, or even referee humans.

The absolute least you can say is that Unkel is only 95% responsible for Acosta getting knocked down. To say that there is anything like a "foul" on Trapp there is simply absurd, unarguable, indefensible and, frankly, stupid.

The observation that Crew fans would be livid if the situation was reversed is absolutely true. It's also true of every fan of every team on the face of the Earth. The reason is that the referee bumbled into a physical contact situation which essentially created a goal for one of the teams.

But fan outrage over a goal is not the point here. Not even remotely. It's completely immaterial.

As someone who reffed "for many years" I can reliably attest to the fact that the referee is, at all times and in all circumstances, "part of the field". Exactly like a goalpost or a blade of grass. A player or the ball bouncing off of him has, for practical purposes, no technical recourse; like the ball taking a funny bounce, it is what. Play on.

In this situation, the official, through incompetence and lack of field awareness, ended up affecting play in a manner which led directly to a goal. Dispute that. I'll wait here.

Wil Trapp did not knock Acosta down. Again, any contention to the contrary is nonsense. Maybe there was some slight contact, maybe there wasn't, but if there was it did not, does not, rise to the level of a foul, in any situation.

FURTHERMORE: this supposed "foul" occurred literally three inches from the referees face. His vision was not blocked, his view was not obstructed and the sun did not get in his eyes. Nobody on the planet had a closer, better, more intimate view of what happened, including the VAR official and the TV cameras.

And in the face of this supposed "trip" by one player against another which occurred 3 inches from his nose, the official did:

Nothing. No whistle, no play on signal, nothing. He allowed play to continue for another ten seconds, until a goal was scored. It's inexcusable if not inconceivable that some manner of foul occurred smack in his face and it took consultation with a guy in a trailer 100 yards away looking at a TV monitor to tell him about it.

To even suggest it is to laugh. It's simply absurd.

VAR is intended to pick up on violations which the referee may have missed or provide him with a different angle of view, NOT to provide him with a way to parse previous action in order to come up with an excuse to bail himself out of a bad mistake.

And that's all that happened here; Unkel blew it, big time, and everybody knew it. There was no hiding it.

But rather than accepting that, he decided to weasel his way out of it by abusing the VAR system to make the result of his blunder disappear.

It was simply wrong, disgraceful and gutless.

Period. Full stop.

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    On the broadcast they showed a freeze frame of Acosta's foot coming down on Trapp's. If there was a foul, it was by Acosta.

stanger repped this.
  24. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's a shame that the goal was taken away, but that not why we loss.

We lost because the above statement, while attributed to Ted Unkel in context, also describes the Crew's play and decision making in the final third week after week after week.

25. DGA57v2

DGA57v2 Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Apr 1, 2019
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion even when yours is wrong. ;)

stanger repped this.