Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs New Zealand. June 1st at 7 AM (ET)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 28, 2017.

1. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    We need our best player (EPB) player where he will have the biggest impact. In an elimination game, we can't try fooling around with that.

As I mentioned in my last post, no player can cover the whole midfield as a #6. EPB will not be able to shut down every single attack that happens in midfield. There is simply too much space on the field for that to happen. But, he can shut down attacks once the actions are taken to make a cross into the box, a pass into the box, an attempted dribble in the box. He can stop New Zealand from getting good chances, if he's playing centrally at CB. At DM, he can do a very good job turning play the opposite way when New Zealand has the ball in our attacking third, but he will not be able to limit the quality of chances New Zealand gets as much as he would as a CB.

TheFalseNine and Patrick167 repped this.
  2. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When pigs fly...

Tom Collingsworth, Gacm32 and Guinho repped this.
  3. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I think you underestimate EPB. I happen to be someone who doesn't like the 4 man back line with a dedicated 6 because I don't think there are many who can play the position. For example, Bradley isn't good enough to play the 6 for USMNT. Nobody is. That is why I prefer a 3 man back line. I saw EPB as somebody who could play the 6. Jones is out for the NZ game. We don't have a midfield. EPB is a great dmid at this level.

With Jones out, who do you have as dmid? Adams?

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I have never seen a #6 who can cover the ground required east to west in a 30 yard segment of the field to completely suppress the other team from getting in position to create quality scoring chances. If that player exists, they will be the best defensive midfielder ever. I think EPB could do most of that, but he inevitably won't be able to completely do so, and I worry that the back line with a shift RB, LB, along with a completely new CB pairing and a bad goalie will be susceptible to giving up two or three goals, even if its only on 4 or 5 quality chances. OTOH, I think New Zealand might get into more positions to create chances if EPB isn't at the #6, but I think the chances will be of a way lower quality with EPB at CB. If we can limit them to only like one or two good chances from the run of play, we should be okay. I'd have Williamson come in for Jones.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  5. Techsan111

Techsan111 Member

Jul 8, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Been preaching it in these threads since the tourney started. Still believe it's the right move:

LW Saucedo
    ST Sargent
    RW Lennon
    LWB Acosta
    CM Adams
    CM de la Torre
    RWB Williamson
    CB Glad
    CB EPB
    CB Redding
    GK Klinsmann

CB's are the strength of this team. Use them

6. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Unless they have practiced and tested a 3 man backline in qualifying well enough to make it work they should avoid just a radical change but this roster is built for one.

7. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just because it seems like a good idea in theory doesn't mean its easily replicable in practice. US youth teams have stood by the 4-3-3 because it encourages player development, and I seriously doubt Tab has spent a single second trying to implement of 3 at the back formation with the current U20s.

Klinsmann got lambasted for playing in a back 3 against Mexico because his players weren't prepared, and now you guys are suggesting it like we're playing a FIFA career mode.

Gacm32, bballshawn and Anderson11 repped this.
  8. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    "The U.S. should switch to a three-back system" is right there with "All our young players must be sent to Holland by any means necessary," "We are just one dumb coach and a few bench players away from winning every match 9-0" and "American soccer is at a crossroads" on the list of Songs As Old As Time...

TheFalseNine, blacksun, Gacm32 and 7 others repped this.
  9. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's amazing how many people don't understand this. We went over the same thing last year.

This is not FIFA 17 or Football Manager. Developing a system takes time. Lots of time. Particularly for young inexperienced players who do not represent the pinnacle of the sport.

TheFalseNine, Gacm32 and AutoPenalti repped this.
  10. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ----------Sargent
    ----DLT----------Lennon
    -----------Saucedo-----
    -----Williamson--------
    Acosta------EPB-----Adams
    ---------Glad----Redding--------
    -----------Klinsmann-------------

11. Master O

Master O Member+

Jul 7, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? With the way that ref acted in the previous game, who knows what will happen here?

Will the USA have to play with only 7 or 8 players? The US players should certainly be on guard for any strange behavior by the referee as a result.

12. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Asking too much of Adams.

13. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    You'd be fried because the cm's become key and we don't have any.

ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    2 in the back?! The good ol 2-3-1-1-2-1

TheFalseNine, ttrevett and PalmettoSpur repped this.
  15. Coolwhip

Coolwhip Member

Jun 27, 2010
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is anyone elses TV guide showing France vs Italy on Thursday morning and not the usa game?

16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe in the Ecuador game Williamson played the 6 next to Zelalem. So, he should be ok as a replacement.

17. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Glad played much better during the qualifiers, during the WC he was exposed a few times. Currently, his game has a few holes to even be considered a "national teamer"

18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, really. He's only played a half + cameo out of position in the WC, and is coming off a significant injury. That doesn't constitute a strike against him. The sample in qualifying + his early MLS play are both arguments in his favor and the most substantial ones either way thus far in his career.

19. 2in10

2in10 Member+

LA Galaxy, Internazionale
    United States
    Jun 19, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? It worked for them.

20. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah my directv schedule shows the France -Italy game on BOTH Fox Sports 1 and 2. Pretty sure thats an error. Our game is on one of those channels, and I suspect its Fox Sports 1.

21. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My Comcast guide says exactly that. Can't believe that they would show that instead of the US game, but who knows/

22. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    I am sure it must be an error. Don't lose sleep over it.

23. AutoPenalti

AutoPenalti Am I famous yet?

Sep 26, 2011
    Coconut Creek
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late. I've lost sleep since this tourney started at 3:50am

TheFalseNine and Gorky repped this.
  24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    It's not an error. It's just not updated with the group F results.

beerslinger23 repped this.
  25. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Tab was part of the team that wrote the USSF DA curriculum, of which one component is that teams are recommended to play a 4 man backline.

I see a slim to no chance we all of a sudden implement a 3 man backline at the World Cup. I can't remember us playing it once this cycle. That would be putting the boys in a pretty bad position in a do-or-die knockout game.

We're not playing France here. We're playing New Zealand. We can plug in the holes with other guys and be fine. We should also be able to be a little more adventurous in terms of our midfield as our backline will be solid...............and we're playing New Zealand. For instance, we don't need to start both Adams and EPB in the midfield.

I personally would like Tab to start Brooks Lennon at right back just to see Giggsy come on the board to say "HA! I told you so!"