Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs New Zealand. June 1st at 7 AM (ET)

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 28, 2017.

1. Sebsasour

Sebsasour Member+

New Mexico United
    May 26, 2012
    Albuquerque NM
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA vs New Zealand U-20's
    Thursday, June 1st
    7 AM (ET)
    Fox Sports 1
    Incheon Football Stadium
    Incheon, South Korea

New Zealand Squad:

NZL.png

Mostly A League players with a few in England, and actually the most NCAA players in the tourney including us. 5 players have played for The Senior Team, 2 of which played in our friendly at RFK last year. They have 3 players that are returning from The World Cup squad 2 years ago (a team we romped) and a mildly interesting fact is that Hunter Ashworth was born and raised in Arizona.

They do not appear to have any players suspended for this game.

Qualifying wasn't too challenging for The Kiwis (as it rarely is). They opened up with 3 goal romps of The Cook Islands and Tahiti but were actually held to a scoreless draw in their final group game against The Solomon Islands. In their do or die game against New Caledonia they actually conceded early but scored 4 minutes later and went on to win 3-1. In the final they pummeled Vanuatu 5-0, a team that might be more formidable than you would have guessed Pre World Cup.

In the World Cup so far they opened up with a scoreless draw against Vietnam, then beat Honduras 3-1 (a team we couldn't beat in qualifying), and then lost to France 2-0, finishing 2nd in Group E

Our Hypothetical road to The World Cup:
    Round of 16: New Zealand
    Quarterfinals: Venezuela or Japan
    Semifinals: South Korea, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, or Uruguay
    Final: France, Italy, Zambia, Germany, Mexico, Senegal, England, or Costa Rica

2. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I don't care how many players we are missing, we should beat New Zealand.

This is who I'd play.

Marcinkowski (Klinsmann will play)
    Glad-Redding-EPB-Acosta
    Williamson-Adams
    de la Torre
    Lennon-Sargent-Saucedo

TheFalseNine, Gacm32, ProudNatRN and 3 others repped this.
  3. Maitreya

Maitreya Member+

Apr 30, 2007
    Providence, RI
    Probably best to envision NZ being fairly bunkered in and not wanting the game to get stretched. That doesn't make Sabbi or Kunga seem like good choices as starters, so maybe Tab should go with Saucedo even though he isn't very good. I wonder though if Ebobisse would be the right choice, get some more size and back-to-goal play in the team.

I don't like having to tell Adams to stick back and play more of a d-mid role when his runs out of midfield have been a key part of lot of this team's best attacking play. But moving EPB to d-mid creates too many holes on the backline and breaks up chemistry, so I agree he should stay at CB.

Patrick167 repped this.
  4. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When do we hear about a potential decision on rescinding CCV's red?

5. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Saucedo was doing well early in this match. I'm not saying he's good, but New Zealand isn't either. Williamson can play the #6 role, if you want. Its not like we'd be asking a pure finesse player to be playing that role. Williamson is athletic, physical and good defensively. He's no Jones, but that'll have to do. No way can you move EPB because he keeps the defense from falling apart. Its physically impossible for a player to blanket the whole defensive midfield area, its too big, meanwhile a CB can pretty much lock up the box. Thats what he needs to do. I'd consider playing Ebobisse, but I'd also like to have him off the bench. I'm not sure going direct against New Zealand is such a good idea. They are probably pretty physical and direct themselves.

TheFalseNine repped this.
  6. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing to watch for is NZ far and away best player Clayton Lewis, and defender Dane Ingham, have both been called up to NZ's Confed Cup team and may be with the senior team for their training camp

7. eainterplay

eainterplay Member

May 11, 2008
    Alabama
    Club:
    Rangers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another thing to watch for is NZ far and away best player Clayton Lewis, and defender Dane Ingham, have both been called up to NZ's Confed Cup team and may be with the senior team for their training camp

8. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    can a non straight red even be reviewed?

9. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this pretty much has to be it.

I guess Ramos could shift Acosta to RB and bring in Trusty at LB, but that seems worse. Two players out of position instead of one (Glad) and a guarantee that we'll get minimal offensive support from both fullback positions.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea. You'd have to review one or both of the yellows. Maybe that makes it impossible.

11. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Not too worried about losing CCV. Glad is solid and will do a good job at CB. Hopefully Tab doesn't get too creative and try Glad at LB and pair Redding with EPB. We have seen that pairing and it doesn't work. Glad is a future national teamer, Redding is not. Pair EPB with Glad at CB and you have stability then just move Acosta to the Right and if necessary and play Trusty at LB.

Williamson could probably play DM with Adams as the b2b guy. Start Saucedo and Lennon on the wings with DLT in the 10 hole and Sargent up top. If Sargent is nicked up then start Ebobisse in his stead. These three losses are not really that big. CCV is the most worrisome one and we might lose a little width without Herrera. CCV's passing range will be missed a bit but I expect another cagey affair like the Saudi Arabia match.

NZ would be happy to take it to pens so they won't be too aggressive in possession. Just be careful of the counter and make our chances count.

12. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Let's not underestimate this team. Their senior team looked much improved against us last year. They beat Honduras by two clear goals and France is the most stacked youth program in the world right now. 0-2 is very respectable.

It is not always easy to eliminate teams you should. We will need to be sharp.

13. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Which U.S. players are suspended for this game?

14. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Per US Soccer's game report ...

• Center back Cameron Carter-Vickers was sent off after being shown yellow cards in the 40th minute and during the first minute of first-half stoppage time. The U.S. played down a man the rest of the way and will also be without Carter-Vickers as he serves an automatic one-game suspension against New Zealand in the Round of 16.
    • The USA will also be without right back Aaron Herrera and central midfielder Derrick Jones against New Zealand. Both players were shown their second yellow cards of the tournament in the eighth and 32nd minutes, respectively.
    http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/201...draw-group-f-finale-2017-u20-world-cup-may-28

Pl@ymaker and Scotty repped this.
  15. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    352. Lennon and Acosta wing backs. Lennon a little more freedom to go forward. You can play DLT as a withdrawn striker, if not as a 10 behind 2 strikers.

16. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This New Zealand team can't be any better than the one from 2015, right? Last time, we beat them 0-4 and they were the hosts.

17. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Can someone confirm they are losing players for the Feds Cup?

Pl@ymaker and Starman* repped this.
  18. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    I'd definitively take Redding at CB over Trusty at LB.

19. schlomo

schlomo Red Card

F.C. Dallas
    United States
    Apr 6, 2017
    The US will be wise to play with some size in the back.

Set piece defense will be what keeps NZ off the board.

20. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Announcers said it during France - NZ (which I watched for some reason)

yabo repped this.
  21. salvikicks

salvikicks Member+

Mar 6, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was any other team but NZ i'd be more worried about the suspended players.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Don't make things difficult for our defense by playing Adams at dmid.

Let's look forward to having everybody healthy in later fixtures by playing EPB in dmid - in case Jones is out. Saudi's were a better team than many think. The fact that we shut them out in the run of play tells me our defense was clicking with Adams pushed forward.

I'd be worried about over estimating them. Our players didn't look psychologically fresh against Saudi's. There's a lot of pressure.

I think we should think about giving the players some recreational time off. For the game against NZ I'd like to see EPB in dmid and Adams forward with Ebobisse and Sabbi so Sargent can get some rest on the bench. Wiliams and Saucedo can help EPB in mid. With the Kiwis tiring we can bring on Sargent and Lennon in the second half if we are leading by less than 2 goals.

23. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    This is why depth wins tournaments. If you can win your group, your backups can take care of lower seed teams. Just can't have players out if we get to the semis.

If we can't beat NZ with these players we wont go much further.

24. SUDano

SUDano Member+

Jan 18, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    If we can't beat NZ with these players we'll be out of the tournament immediately.

25. tbonepat11

tbonepat11 Member+

Jun 21, 2001
    yes yes I was referring to advancement in general but I worded it poorly. I don't think the meaning was lost.