Pre-match: PBP/Post: 2017 FIFA U-20 World Cup; USA vs Ecuador

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by Sebsasour, May 13, 2017.

1. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    The reaction to Lennon is interesting. To me he's the throwback American player. Decent speed, but can't beat anyone on the dribble. Exceptional guts and effort to the last whistle, works his ass off all game long, but doesn't connect all that well with his teammates. Cuts to the middle well and then can't figure out what next. But he is American v2.0. His 1v1 ball winning is better than the players of old and he has one hell of a driven cross. I love the sight of a driven cross in the morning...it looks like victory!
    RB, Winger, just make sure he's on the pitch.

2. vexco

vexco Member+

Nov 2, 2013
    He kept the attacker onside on the 2nd goal so yes, he played a big part in that goal.

Gacm32 and Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Ecuador and Senegal are considered very strong teams at this level, up there with Zambia, Uruguay & France. Ecuador had a day off in finishing, but their passing in midfield was superb for this age group.

This was a solid start for us.

Looking at the groups, ours is one of the hardest (#2 CAF, #2 CONMEBOL, #1 CONCACAF, #2 AFC), perhaps even THE hardest.

4. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I haven't watched the game so it's been hard for me to have an opinion. Nonetheless, it seems to me that Klinsmann has been singled out way too much. It was Herrera with a nightmare. Klinsmann was put in tough position in all three goals and admittedly didn't do too well but also wasn't useless. I'd have to see the other situations where he was put out to dry to see if he got those right. I'm still pretty neutral on him. He seems like just about at replacement value and also seems to be mentally strong and bounces back from these situations. Anyhoo. I can see him being benched or staying depending on who else is available.

bsky22 repped this.
  5. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    The point against Ecuador was massive because now they only need one win. Any win will do. Four points doesn't mathematically guarantee the next round but it virtually assures it in the 24 team format.

6. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What can I say? I think he's much better than Zusi and that guy went to the world cup. I don't think he's that bad on the dribble or decision making. They're like his speed, good but not excellent. It's the crossing and shooting range that really sets him apart. A bit of seasoning and he could really become a good player. Maybe a top 4 league, certainly a top MLS player.

Dirt McGirt and Patrick167 repped this.
  7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    #582 Clint Eastwood, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Yup. That draw against Ecuador, a team we knew going into the event was awfully good, set us up nicely for advancement. But advancement at the U20 World Cup (in which 16 of the 24 teams advance) isn't really that big of an achievement...........is it?

The Round of 16 matchup for us looks much different if we win the group versus being runner up (or advancing in 3rd place).

Our likely opponent if we win the group is either New Zealand, Honduras, or Vietnam (France should run away with that group). At this point if we finish 2nd in our group, we could easily get Germany or Mexico in the round of 16. Venezuela has almost clinched that group with 6 points after 2 games and a GD of +9 (the first tiebreaker). That's how unpredictable youth World Cups can be. Basically Germany has to beat Mexico, hope Mexico beats Venezuela, and overcome a GD that currently stands at gap of 11 by decimating Vanuatu (a team that held Mexico)..............in order to win that group.

8. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Are people actually calling for Lennon to make his first start at rb without actually seeing if he has any defensive ability?

9. Giggsy1986

Giggsy1986 Member+

Jan 27, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He has played rb in MLS

10. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still a lot to play for since a Mexico win against Venezuela would mean they'd win the group.

And Germany have yet to score. I imagine that will change against Vanuatu, but it's hard to be impressed about their performance.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  11. Gamecock14

Gamecock14 Member+

May 27, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #586 Gamecock14, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Really? When? He missed a significant portion of preseason and has only played in 8 games. In two games, Mulholland was pulled in the 85. Lennon became more of a midfielder, but he still pushed all the way up.

What are you talking about.

ussoccer97531 and bballshawn repped this.
  12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, we saw hererra without actually seeing any defensive ability :whistling:

13. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Was any player more invisible than Kunga?

Tyler Adams seemed to be a bit off with the weight of his passes. He also seemed to miss some tackles that he thought he was going to make. Redding and Adams, who are good defenders in MLS, seemed to be a step slow or they were not expecting the pace the Ecuadorians showed. I expect Adams at least to adjust; not sure if Redding will play again.

Do you think a certain number of NCAA players have to be picked/started for political reasons? I cannot understand how Herrera was out there. He seemed mentally and physically unable to compete. With all the professional players in this age group, why are any college players involved?

kba4life1, TCS35, ussoccer97531 and 2 others repped this.
  14. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Fossey wasn't injured on the eve of the tournament. Ramos and his staff knew well in advance he was injured. That they thought Herrera was a good Plan B is exhibit A that they don't know what they are doing. Ramos has a Klinsman-esque regard for the #6 position too. Zelalem playing there reminded me of Bedoya being played there against Brazil.

EPB always seems to need to take 2-3 touches before moving the ball. He can work on that.

Jones was great, but after 2-2, there was a lot of problems getting the ball from the CBs to the MF. I don't know if Jones wasn't presenting himself, he was being double pressed and the CBs were still forcing it, or what. But from about 2-2 till the 83rd minute, Jones didn't seem to be as effective or able to receive a pass. Hopefully, he will start and training will sort this out.

Gacm32 repped this.
  16. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game very carefully and to me, Jones was covering not only his ground but also the ground for Adams and/or Williams. He was there to clean up other's mess not to be the link between the defense and attackers, the fact that he was involved in one of our scoring sequences was the cherry on top.

17. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    Tab is trying to win. So he won't pick any college players for purely political reasons. Herrera is just more a reflection of some of Tab's bad roster decisions. Hell, we could probably find at least 5 current U20 college RB's that are better than Herrera. Let alone the likes of Olosunde and Cannon.

18. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Well, somebody has to be. They will have to sort it out before Senegal. If the plan was to have Redding and EPB pass through the first line of defenders, that didn't work. Sargent had the toughest time with hold up play; so that route is out.

19. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    I was being sarcastic of course. We all know the only quota is on MLS players haha

But Herrera's performance reminded me of Bornstein in the 2011 Gold Cup final. In that final, every Mexico goal could be traced to Bornstein being out of position or making a poor decision (usually both). That ended Bob Bradley and Bornstein with the USMNT.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  20. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    I'm more at the point where I feel bad for Herrera more than I'm mad at his play. He just doesn't belong anywhere near this level.

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  22. Kombucha

Kombucha Member+

Jul 1, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Acosta is often maligned on here, but plays the same position as Herrera in the same RSL Academy and one got a HGP deal and one is in College. Herrera is so far below this level and then drew a match-up with a one of the best player in the tournament.

I can't get mad at anybody who is out there trying, but he is over his head and it isn't his fault.

23. beerslinger23

beerslinger23 Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    If he can't compete then he needs to get straight with Tab and take himself out of the picture. His teammates probably roll their eyes at him behind his back because he can't compete at this level and is dragging the team down. I don't pity incompetence. I pity the guys who have to pick up his slack.

Is there no other option?

24. Patrick167

Patrick167 Member+

Dortmund
    United States
    May 4, 2017
    Maybe Herrera will get a degree, play in the MLS awhile, then the USL, then get a "real job." He will have done better than 99.5% of the soccer playing population. Nothing but respect for the work it takes.

He is not making Ramos pick him or play him. Not on Herrera at all, it is all on Ramos. Totally agree with that.

Zinkoff, due time, ussoccer97531 and 3 others repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Germany sent a C-team for this competition and is likely to do the same for the Confeds.