PBP Match Thread: Argentina vs Croatia, 21 June 2018 [R]

Discussion in 'GROUP D: Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria' started by bigsoccertst1, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Fair points in comparing Messi with Cristiano Ronaldo. But there's another factor at play here: perception.

The overall comportment, body language, and of course, performance we have seen of Cristiano Ronaldo so far is of a boisterous, brash, confident, and combative player who is beaming with competitiveness from the anthem to the final whistle. Messi has a different personality, but he didn't seem to try as hard so far. In the match vs. Iceland, he participated more and unfortunately (for his team and fans) missed that PK. With Croatia, he touched the football less than Cabellero did - and the rest is well-known.

Ronaldo scored a historic hat trick vs. Spain and his team's lone goal vs. Morocco - all of Portugal's goals in this World Cup are Ronaldo's. Had Ronaldo played lackluster football and scored no goals, his "walking" would likely have earned more criticism. Likewise, had Messi scored a game winner in the 94th minute vs. Iceland and had Messi scored a hat trick vs. Croatia to end it at 3-3, no one would be complaining about his walking. But Messi has not only not scored, he has also given the impression that he's lethargic, that he knows it, and that he doesn't care.

This may be far from truth; perhaps Messi's competitive spark burns brighter than Ronaldo's. But based on what is observable and was indeed witnessed, the impression is that Messi is apathetic and that his walking is proof.

Cristiano Ronaldo has many detractors and he's certainly not a nice, humble person, but no one can deny he's spilling his guts out on the field and that if Portugal has any chances in this World Cup, it'd have none without Ronaldo. The perception he generates is backed by his conduct.

Ditto with Messi.

2. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Like I said, bringing up the fact that I was born in a different country of the one that is my nationality, my fandom, and the country I live currently and lived in for decades to undermine my opinion when I was just talking about football is more than inflamatory. People SHOULDN'T be talking about the fact that I wasn't born in Argentina (eventhough im argentinian and all my family, parents and grandparents are and i lived here for decades) to call me traitor, or a fake, or whatever they want. I SHOULDN'T be insulted or invalidated for the country I was born in or the team i decide to cheer for. I hope that's clear and I hope not everything is allowed in this forum and I hope you aren't undermining this poster actions just because he is also brazilian. I clearly deserve an apology.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are a matter of interpretation; @Century's Best literally didn't say any of that.

As far as the intersection between nationality, residency, heritage and football fandom, it's a convoluted, controversial mess...but fair game to discuss (e.g. the footballing preferences of people of Mexican heritage in the US, or people of Turkish heritage in Germany).

I don't see the insult, but can see the argument for taking a shot at your fandom being out of bounds, hence the posts being deleted.

...I'm willing to bet that's not going to happen, and I'm not going to force it either.

Oh, snap - I'm Brazilian? Close the thread, y'all, nothing more to see there! I'm off to Bahia! :D

Hayaka and Century's Best repped this.
  4. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I sure didn't. It was this poster's own interpretation, which I have no control over.

Repped for truth.

Make sure you eat some moqueca!

5. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    So is it ok to bring facts about someone personal life when we are talking about football? This is not the first time Im insulted for daring to cheer for Argentina.

If someone says

"Cristiano Ronaldo haters are boring" and the other person responds "Boring is the fact that your wife cheated on you and you had to move out of your city" You don't see anything wrong with that? Responding to something futbol related to something NOT RELATED TO FUTBOL at all and something about my life that I shared years ago and for what I ve been insulted in this forums many times.

Is there really nothing wrong to answer to something futbol related with something PERSONAL LIFE related?
    This person is talking about an event in MY personal life, and I cant believe that goes unpunished.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    There are two games going on, and you're here demanding an apology from somebody online whom you've never met and whom you'll never meet and who is thousands of miles away from you?

7. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If someone's wife cheating on them and running them out of their own town has something to do with which national team they cheer for...that's a story I have to hear. Facetiousness aside, while the question of where you were born is a personal one, it is absolutely football-related in the discussion of why you cheer for one NT or another.

Again, I would not take kindly to someone targeting you; in this case, I have only seen one such post and deleted it. No more action will be taken.

8. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I put far too many people on ignore in this forums in the last 4 years. I was just tired to take underserved BS without saying anything back for years. But I know you are probably right :)

Thanks celito for being nice and not insulting.

9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No prob. Just stop making calculations on what would eliminate Brazil in the group stage :ROFLMAO:

10. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazil will go through and has high chances to win the whole thing.

Argentina, on the other hand...we suck :p Top 4 worse team alongside panama egypt and saudi arabia? Maybe