Paxton Pomykal Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jond, Jun 25, 2019.

1. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    wow

2. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    If we looking at numbers then let say Eddie Lewis has 3 assists less than Reyna, 2 goals more than Reyna in 30 less games. Reyna was better player than his pretty modest numbers. In assists per game ahead of him:
    Lewis
    Ramos
    Fabian Johnson
    Bedoya
    Mathis and Zardes! among others.

3. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    #103 FeedhimtothepigsArold, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    Top 3 for me. Might be no 1. Most cultured midfielder

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  4. FeedhimtothepigsArold

Apr 7, 2014
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Many of these players are wingers and attackers. Didnt Reyna play deeper for us?

5. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Not as deep as Eddie Lewis or Fabian Johnson. Wingers have much better goals per minute.
    Much maligned Michael Bradley has better G+A per minute numbers.

6. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Definitely not in top 10. Probably top 20.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG a Reyna debate!
    I've missed these SO MUCH!!!!!!

Bajoro, Mr Martin, Grumpy in LA and 2 others repped this.
  8. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No problem, just turn it into a Claudio Reyna thread! :thumbsup:

9. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    Reyna wasn't flashy. That's why some people can't see how good he was.

10. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    2001 MLS Cup champion with 7 goals and 10 assists in just 22 games wants to say hi.

Of course, clever readers will have deduced that that's Landon Donovan, which may strengthen instead of contradict your point.

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was pretty great against Germany.
    You're really going to the mat arguing against someone who stated an objective fact.

majspike, Bajoro, Smileton and 3 others repped this.
  12. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll jump in! Reyna, at the time, was the best we had ever had at the position he played at the time he played it. He had some success in Europe and was internationally recognized for his achievements. Of course, he was eclipsed in time by others who took his position, a young guy named Bradley comes to mind, but he will be remembered for his contribution to our National team program. What I like is that when his time was up, he gracefully stepped off. Some of the next generation players at his position should be as graceful. As for PP, yes I did, I feel he has a great future ahead. He has a little more bite defensively than CR and a better motor, like a young MB. I also feel he will have the luxury of players of better caliber around him and pushing him. Within a year, he should be overseas plying his trade and take it up a notch. This is the natural progression of sports. Have players you can look to to form your game and take it higher. I would also like to see him integrated into the MNT's set up soon.

Bajoro, Smileton, rlrcpa and 1 other person repped this.
  13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

russ repped this.
  14. ebbro

ebbro Member+

Jun 10, 2005
    I'm not sure how that quote got attributed to me. butters59 said that. I'd agree he was great against Germany.

DHC1 repped this.
  15. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Can't wait for his highlight reel, known as "the PP tape."

xbhaskarx, jackiesdad, rgli13 and 2 others repped this.
  16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I love that we're arguing individual player perfomances from a single World Cup game 17 years later. Imagine the spirited discussions we'll have in 2035 about Pulisic in last year's World Cup ... oh. crap.

sXeWesley repped this.
  17. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be 84 so I'll still be talking about Captain for Wife Johnny Harkes.

18. Smileton

Smileton Member

Richmond Kickers, Ipswich Town FC, FC Kaiserslautern
    United States
    Feb 7, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now you're comparing Reyna to people on his own team who didn't even play his position? That's not how a Best XI works. As several others have pointed out, he is fifth in assists despite frequently playing as a deep lying distributor. That's how I remember him in the several games that I saw him live with the National team. As such, he did a lot of work that doesn't show up on a stat sheet. Of course this stuff is subjective, but no way he isn't a top ten all time US field player.

As for Pomykal, I have only watched his U-20 performances. He certainly has considerable phyiscal tools and is quite good technically. He showed his vision with some great line-splitting passes against Nigeria. For me, his most impressive game was against France, both because of the high level of the competition and because he showed his mental strength. He clearly wasn't right after the knock he took but he fought through it and played quite well in the latter stages of the game. I don't think that there is much doubt that he can contribute to the USMNT right now, but who knows what his ceiling will be or his best position? I would be delighted if he surpassed Reyna, JOB, etc., as a fulcrum of the US attack.

Bajoro and TimB4Last repped this.
  19. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    #119 Scotty, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    I mean that Reyna has a better assists-per-game ratio than the guys who have more total assists that him (except for Donovan).

Yes he did. Earlier in his career he played as more of an A-mid, but over time got shifted to a deeper CM role. He also had long and successful club career in Europe (Bundesliga, Premiership, Champions League with Rangers) that none of those players listed above can boast (except Johnson, who is not a product of American soccer).

FeedhimtothepigsArold and russ repped this.
  20. manfromgallifrey91

Swansea City
    United States
    Jul 24, 2015
    Wyoming, USA
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry I should have also said, this was not in disagreement with that sentiment, as I think for him the U20 was much more important right now. I speak more of going forward from here. And not just in Pax's case but in general as well.

21. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Donovan among many others played for the Olympic team. Didn't seem to set him back.

tomásbernal repped this.
  22. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait until another year or so when his son starts entering the debate like Pomykal is now.

majspike, russ and DHC1 repped this.
  23. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, using fulcrum makes me think of one of my favorite shows Chuck. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulcrum_(Chuck)

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nepotism aLerT!!!

majspike, xbhaskarx and Pegasus repped this.
  25. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At any given time, I would have picked one of Pope, Friedel, O’Brien, McBride, or Donovan ahead of Reyna.

xbhaskarx and butters59 repped this.