Paxton Pomykal Thread

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by jond, Jun 25, 2019.

1. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even if he's sold this winter, he will still be under contract with FCD until the end of the year.

Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  2. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Until people start calling him "PP".

Stan Collins, superdave and butters59 repped this.
  3. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is true, and I usually agree. But, FCD has been producing a sh*t ton of high quality youth talent for last last several years. I think that makes it far more likely that Pomykal becomes Reyna than Gil. Of course, there's always the injury bug...

4. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He is already way better than Gil has ever been. So new Gil won't happen. If he doesn't become a better player than Reyna I'll be disappointed.

5. Smileton

Smileton Member

Richmond Kickers, Ipswich Town FC, FC Kaiserslautern
    United States
    Feb 7, 2012
    Richmond, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Reyna sucked. Only a best XI player in a quarterfinal World Cup run.

6. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The nation's best players" is very subjective, though. Don't read more into that. "Best" is usually a combination of quality, form and experience, for every team everywhere. Hot and young isn't the only qualifier.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  7. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    So what's your point? Seriously? A concise answer Plz. That Bradley's huge added experience more than makes up for his form and quality being lower than Pomykal? So we should keep having him start?

sXeWesley and FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  8. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is why I said "don't read more into that". The point was as I stated; that there are several factors in determining "best" players at any given time. Different people will put different weight on each of those factors. You seem to put most of the weight on age, and then on league.

9. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Age? Wasn't I also arguing for Morales?

League? MLS and Bundesliga? Which do I prefer?

I put it solely on ability and potential. By your definition, it would have been very difficult for Pulisic to find a spot in the team in 16/17. And our last cycle pretty much renders your added experience criteria useless.

Mate, I don't think we're gonna see eye to eye so I'm just gonna drop this, much like I did trying to reason with my alter ego.

Cheers.

FeedhimtothepigsArold repped this.
  10. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers, mate! I'm going to the pub for a pint, want to join me, seppo?

Your support for Morales is why I said that age and league are what you seem to value most.

I don't have a definition for best player--I just laid out some basic criteria that ALL coaches (and fans) use to judge who their best players are. There are many variables that come into play. Sometimes, the teenager is just so good that he'll bench the 31 year old perennial starter. It happens, but there's always more to consider than "teenager is doing good things".

11. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Reyna was a solid mid table team player in top 4 league. Nothing more, nothing less. He wasn't anywhere close to best XI. There were few players on the team that had better WC than him. He was the only player on our team whose name was known to the "experts".

12. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_World_Cup_awards#All-Star_Team

superdave repped this.
  13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure Pomykal will get a fair shake to earn a spot on the team.

Unless it's Trapp or Bradley's spot.

14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    And so? JOB was better than him, Friedel as well, probably Donovan and Sanneh too.
    That was kind of a team prize for surprising USA, given to the captain whose name was well known. He didn't even play in Portugal game, was anonymous against Korea and Poland,
    good against Mexico and OK against Germany.

xbhaskarx and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  15. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree 100 percent. Reyna was never our best player at any point in his career.

16. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as he stays in the MLS too. But hopefully he moves soon. The best and the brightest need to challenge themselves at the highest level they can.

17. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i agree other players were better, i was just pointing out that "best 11 in a world cup" isnt just something smileton said, or a personal ranking. you can argue others were better, where reyna fits in all time us mids or whatever- but you cant argue a fact that happened. reyna was recognized on that team. its a thing, not an opinion.

Smileton repped this.
  18. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    As I said, Reyna was a solid player from mid table team in top 4 league. That's good, kind of where Wes is now. Should we be happy if our top prospects stop at that level? No.

19. rgli13

rgli13 Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you also said this

he was, in fact, named to a world cup best 11. i have zero interest in reyna other than recognizing facts about him.

20. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Was he named? Yes. Was he one of the best 11? No.
    I even forgot to name Pope who was better than Reyna as well.
    And if you quoting me, please don't skip "That was kind of a team prize for surprising USA, given to the captain whose name was well known." I never argued that he was named into best 11.

21. #1 Feilhaber and Adu

Aug 1, 2007

[​IMG]

22. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    If you mean than Reyna is today, you got a shot.

russ and Scotty repped this.
  23. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    #98 Rahbiefowlah, Jun 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    He was our best player for at least half a decade.

He was a unique midfielder who needed to be accommodated with a destroyer next to him, and it can be argued he under-achieved in ways, but he was our best player for a long long time.

Bajoro, CMeszt, ardubois3 and 3 others repped this.
  24. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    He is on my shortlist for best American ever. But then I am partial to intelligent playmakers over goal scorers. My favorite all time player is Pibe Valderrama. I also respect and agree with Reyna’s frank criticism of the state of Soccer in the US. Took balls and likely put him on the outs with much of the establishment.

25. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Reyna also had 19 assists for the USA. That's fifth of all time, and when it comes to assists-per-game only Donovan stands ahead of him.

If Pomykal can reach such numbers it would mean a stellar international career.

sXeWesley, CMeszt, freisland and 2 others repped this.