Parma in the UEFA Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Italy: Northern Clubs' started by SueB, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Parma is losing 1-0 at the half. I think Carmignani has to put in Gila to get some attacking options going...

2. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Gilardino is in for Furlan 5 minutes into the second half (not sure why he didn't just start the second half, but whatever ...). Uh oh, there's the second goal for CSKA. Looking like Parma's luck has run out.

3. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game over, 3-0.

4. Vfbstuttgartfan

Aug 3, 2004
    Stuttgart
    Club:
    VfB Stuttgart
    i don't understand why Parma care so little about the uefa cup. After having made it to the semis, surely they would finally go and just try to WIN the competition. But no...

5. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Oh well, it was turning into a wonderful story until today.

UEFA CUP was just simply not on the to do list when the club is fighting for relegation, I guess I can sympathize.

6. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Parma weren't in a relegation battle they would have tried to win this cup. But since they have a very small squad they need all the rest they can get for Serie A. The cost of getting relegated far outways the benefits of being UEFA Cup champions.

7. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what will happen to CSKA since a flare hit in Bucci the head an he had to be replaced.

8. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't know about the flare. Well, only Italian rules have the automatic 3-0 loss rule, but UEFA can severely punish CSKA by awarding them a loss, or a stadium ban....

9. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    They DID try to win it; they just kept to the same formula - never fall behind and only play your best players when you have to. Unfortunately, today they fell behind and that was it. Funny, the report on uefa.com doesn't mention a flare as the reason Bucci had to be replaced. But if that's the case, you can bet the Italian federation will raise some questions.

10. Sempre

Sempre ****************** Member+

Mar 4, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    This result is OK for Parma.

Serie B means oblivion--loss of money, loss of prestige, no
    hope for Europe; and worse.

Winning the UEFA Cup on the other hand does very little for
    Parma. It's a competition that has been made meaningless by
    the Champions League, which now includes clubs in the 2nd,
    3rd, and 4th place. The 5th and 6th place teams has second
    rate written all over it.

11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    So maybe UEFA will award Parma a win? (I highly doubt it)

13. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, Parma is definitely registering a complaint. GdS has changed its headline from "Parma, the dream is over" to "Parma, the dream is over. Perhaps".

14. phillips10

phillips10 New Member

Oct 15, 2001
    Cranford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    bet we're looking at a short stadium ban and a small fine at most for CSKA...

15. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I agree. I have a hard time imagining they'd overturn the result, even given the recent precedents of forfeit losses given to Roma and Inter. The main difference between this case and those seems to be that the referee stopped those games. And, although this shouldn't be taken into account (IMO), it was also easier to award those wins to their opponents because they were already ahead. It would be highly highly controversial for UEFA to take this victory away from CSKA.

16. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    IMO UEFA have two options: 1. Award the match to Parma, it will be controversial but it will hit them hard & send out a clear message to supporters in europe. 2. Replay the game behind closed doors.

17. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Well, I can tell you 2) is the last thing Parma wants. They're in the midst of a relegation struggle. Play another game with their thin squad? Unthinkable. I think the other option is along the lines of what phillips10 suggested. They'll cite the lack of precedent for this type of thing at CSKA or some such loophole (assuming that is the case), fine them a bit and perhaps give them a stadium ban for a game or two next season.

18. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    That is actually true, i would think Parma dont give a crap about the result as they have shown with the teams they put out. The only reason they put in a complaint is to protect their keeper.

19. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    What was the score when the flair hit Bucci(sp?)?
    BTW The ref did restart the game in Milan after the flairs died down. In this game 1 flare hit 1 player, which is very hard from far so I don't think it was intentional to compare that with the rain of flares before and after the restart in Milan is extremely pointless.

20. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    I think it was already 1-0. In fact, the fireworks may have been thrown in celebration of the goal, but I wasn't watching so I'm not sure. Don't forget the Roma incident. That game was stopped (and forfeited) because of one well-aimed coin.

21. THFC1

THFC1 New Member

Oct 2, 2004
    South East London
    Yeah it was celebrating the goal. It was surely accidental but i find it incredible that flares were thrown onto the pitch, surely they have televisions in Moscow they must have seen what happened in Milan.
    Now thinking about it the likliest outcome would be what phillips10 said as the game did finish & the games in Rome & Milan did not.

22. The Old Lady Hertha

The Old Lady Hertha New Member

Dec 15, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    I think its safe to say UEFA will sanction CSKA, but not overturn the result IMO

I'm surprised with Parma...at least show some effort in winning a EUROPEAN trophy. I understand that priority is Serie A survival, but what good is survival if you don't have money? Winning the UEFA Cup and getting the money from it would ensure that even if Parma got relegated, they would have some money to rebuild their squad. And the fans would be happy, surely, wouldn't they? They have suffered enough IMO.

23. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The money Parma would receive from winning the UEFA Cup is only a fraction of what they would receive by staying in Serie A.

24. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  25. Spartak

Spartak Member

Nov 6, 1999
    Philly
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly :rolleyes: Imagine in the Juve/Real match this year Juve fans threw a flair that forced Ronaldo to leave the match injured in the first ten minutes of the match. Would UEFA still say it "didn't have a decisive impact as regards the regularity of the game."?