Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how are things going for Benfica so far this season?

2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    It's early days, but on paper Benfica looks to have a good squad. Kinda shocked they lost to Porto at home.

On paper the central midfield looks stacked, but Gedson, Gabriel, and now Chiquinho are all out with serious knee injuries (Gedson should be back late-fall while the other two probably won't be back until 2020). On the other hand, Adel Taarabt played his way back onto Benfica's bench and Samaris just re-upped through 2023, so they remain pretty deep. Tough to say what happens when Keaton's time with NYCFC is up, but I cannot imagine that they want him returning to Benfica B.

I bet NYCFC would be interested in keeping him, but I also bet that Benfica wants at least $2m, which is more than most MLS teams want to pay for a player like Keaton (iirc, there is no option to buy in this loan). It's worth mentioning that he's marketing himself very well... he's constantly involved in NYCFC events off the pitch and appears to be popular with the fan-base. Could be a good investment for them.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Also, I think Benfica is limited to 4 domestic loans, all of which are taken... so Keaton cannot go another Primeria Liga club in January unless Benfica recalls one of the other players.

UniversalAdvice repped this.
  4. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Not called into the u23 camp. NYCFC might've turned down the callup due to their schedule: camps runs from September 1-10 and NYCFC play on the 31st, 7th, and 11th.

Also, a small dumb note: Keaton changed his Twitter branding to support the MLSPA's new social media push, which seems odd for a player on-loan with no option to buy

5. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he will still be around in december when they redo the cba, i think

6. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    IMO the real issue with Parks isn't simple = easy, it's simple = safe. He moves and recycles the ball well, but I haven't seen him play the killer pass through the lines very often, if at all. To be honest, he doesn't seem to be looking to do that either.

Maybe it's not in his repertoire, which is OK - who wants someone trying U-17 level "killer passes" against seasoned pros? - but it does set a definite ceiling on his development. Without it, maybe he can play in Portugal's D1 but Benfica, Porto, Sporting and Braga will be a step too far

7. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He used to do more often when he was the ACM in his "B" team. Now, he seldom does it. The last time he did was early on in this season when he put a ball over the backline for a breakaway goal.

8. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He's hit a couple of great line-breaking passes recently, just none of them have resulted in a goal. In the derby there was one Keaton hit just after half-time to Mitrita, who was almost surprised to receive it... he looked for a cross instead of having a crack.

But I also think he's not supposed to be looking for those passes in Dome's system. From Keaton's post-match comments vs NYRB:

And he is still showing that he can hit those passes. Right now he's averaging 1.6 key passes per 90' in MLS, which is actually more than Ring (1.0 per 90').

9. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I missed his last game, but two interesting tidbits from Twitter:

WheezingUSASupport, Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  10. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't get to see the game either and I don't see the game in ESPN+

11. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I think it was on Univision

12. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I always thought Tab tried him out there in the one U20 camp he was called up to (2017 cycle). Maybe he meant in an actual game though.

13. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    confused...is keaton not thrilled with nycfc or does he want to stay?

14. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    apparently totally unclear:

FWIW, at Benfica Keaton said something along the lines of "I want to play in Europe for as long as possible and end my career in MLS".

On the other hand, he is doing crazy amounts of Press and community outreach at NYCFC and clearly enjoys playing under Dome. So, honestly, who knows...

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He's 22, not 16. At that age you learn to be honest with yourself about your own limitations. He wants to play in Europe like I wanted at 22 to marry a supermodel. But, then, well, reality strikes. And it's not all bad, after all, right?

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Can't imagine anything worse than that.

onefineesq repped this.
  17. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    He also worked hard and won a starting spot for the number 1 team in the east (no. 2 overall) while on loan, so who knows his limits? Maybe it's not Benfica, but maybe it is Monaco (uhh... assuming they stay up) or Aston Villa (assuming they go down) or some mid-table club in Italy. Maybe he's in with CFG now and its one of their affiliates like Girona or Breda.

18. TxEx

TxEx Member+

Tottenham Hotspur, Crystal Palace, FC Dallas
    Aug 19, 2016
    DFW
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I was gonna say there's a ton of options at various levels between NYCFC and Benfica. But you already did so take your rep.

19. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    It's obvious that Keaton can play at the level required by NYCFC and it's also obvious that Benfica likes value for money and has been burned by letting players go for too little lately. I think it will cost a pretty penny for NYCFC to keep Keaton. Is he worth it?

He's achieved a lot for a kid who was playing high school ball not so long ago. If his dream is in Europe I'm sure there will be opportunities. Benfica is a long shot for sure but you never know.

If he gets released for Olympic qualifying I really feel like he has to be on that roster. He's achieved much more than Mendez/Aaronson/Dotson and I think he brings something they don't with his ability to calmly keep possession and keep the ball moving forward. I think he and Yueill are comparable but have complimentary strengths and weaknesses. I would love to see a Pomykal/Yueill/Parks midfield trio.

20. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
  21. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i hope he leaves nycfc tbh but not sure benfica first team minutes are gonna happen

22. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    Keaton off and so is this match

zlatan_but_a_car and Thundering165 repped this.
  23. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I'm fairly sure Parks is going to make the U23 roster if he's released at this point, but I'm not sure how he's achieved much more than those guys. I can see Mendez, since he hasn't played real 1st team minutes yet (even at a higher level), but being a rotational starter for NYCFC isn't much different than being a rotational starter for Philly or being a lock starter for MNUFC.

24. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    If Dotson is a lock starter, then Keaton is too... they've both had 12 starts since winning their spots at the beginning of summer. Keaton's actually played more MLS minutes than Dotson.

bballshawn repped this.
  25. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    I don’t think it’ll work out for him unless Gedson or Florentino move this winter. They’re not going to give significant minutes to three midfielders under the age of 23.

Still, he’s a good player and should wind up in a decent spot.

The Irish Rover repped this.