Parks and recreation in Lisbon: Keaton at NYCFC (on loan from Benfica)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Sep 24, 2015.

1. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    6 years of residency before citizenship eligibility, so summer 2021 at the earliest, though I expect his loan move affects that timeline.

2. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Ah, last time I read about it I thought I read 5... no clue how the loan affects his residency requirements, but it's not like Benfica is above bribing the government to get what they want lol

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  3. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's 5 years of residency to be eligible for permanent residency, 6 for citizenship (but only 3 if married to a Portuguese citizen).

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  4. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keaton started tonight. We’re 9 minutes in. He’s playing an 8. Or something.

5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    #3580 Suyuntuy, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    Since losing Quioto to a red early Dynamo has bunkered. Parks is playing further back than usual for whatever reason. Looking like a typical 11 vs. 10 MLS game, with the winner (they're 1-1 at 72') likely coming in the very last minutes.

Parks has been ok, nothing to write home about.

PS: And Manotas scores in a counter, NYCFC 1-2 Dynamo. Parks lucky to not have a yellow, he keeps putting his hands on the shoulders of the other guy when he jumps. The ref has already had a word with him.

Castellanos evens it 2-2. Parks assist while the Dynamo players were complaining about a foul (that should have been whistled, tbh).

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  6. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Picks out a beautiful cross to assist Castellanos on the equalizer

Pl@ymaker and Gacm32 repped this.
  7. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    He had all the time in the world because the Dynamo players had stopped to ask for a foul by Moralez, who had gone for the leg of Cabezas(?) in the previous move.

8. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    Probably won't record an assist, but just set up the potential winner.

Gacm32 repped this.
  9. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Dynamo played a solid second half, actually, considering they were down a man. Parks is his silky-passing self, and has good bad control, which is much more obvious in MLS than it was in Portugal, because so many of the guys on the field need a yard to control a pass.

Otherwise, the intellectual part of the game is where he lacks. When you have three possible passes, you want to send it to the guy in the best position to attack, not the one that is the easiest for you to find.

The signal cuts off now, and when it's back, NYCFC has scored. This one seems to have been a proper head flick by Parks from Matarrita to Castellanos, ball is saved but Castellanos scores in the rebound.

10. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    This is the first time I've ever seen this opinion voiced about him... sometimes you'll see people describe his game as 'simple', but more often than not that's used in a positive sense.

WhoScored has shows him putting 78 of his 108 completed passes forward in today's game, which is 2nd only to Ring. He also led the team with 4 key passes.

OPTA isn't crediting him with an assist on the 3rd goal, but he effectively had 2 assists on the night. Obviously you can't take a ton away from a game where they were a man up for the majority of the 90', but still, hard to watch that match and come away with "Keaton doesn't play offensively enough".

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I suspect it's the reason he never got the promotion to the First Division in Portugal. It's one of those things you won't see in statistics, won't be part of the computer scores, and is often ignored by less sophisticated analysts.

"Simple" is good, in that it keeps the flow of the game, but in several occasions, not just today, Keaton goes for the simple (as in easy) pass, instead of the more difficult but much smarter one. That's also a reason why his pass stats are so good: if you don't take risks, well, your percent goes up.

Let's not forget that a very useless Bradley still kept very high numbers in the successful passing % category. And Keaton has his share of passing back when he feels the slight doubt about pushing forward.

12. zlatan_but_a_car

United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    I suspect that it's because Benfica's midfield is absolutely stacked... his midfield partners for 2 years on Benfica B were Florentino, one of the most promising central midfielders in all of central Europe, and Gedson Fernandes, who earned his first senior cap for Portugal at 19.

But I also think you're missing the context of the manager he's playing under: NYCFC is leading the league in possession. Playing simple to maintain possession is the game plan Domme has put together. The fact that Keaton is also providing 4 key passes in a game where he's instructed to play simple as the central midfield shuttler shows that he has vision in addition to simplistic, tempo-setting play.

13. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    I think that’s a bad take. He does play simple but he will push it when it’s there. He doesn’t force it, but I think his feel for the tempo and acumen on when to take the chance are excellent.

adam tash and dark knight repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately he is playing half of the games at futsal court and not much can be learned from those games.

TarHeels17 and justinpaul10 repped this.
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Solid point about Torrent. I've always been high on Parks, mainly for the accuracy of his passing. We could use a guy like that.

16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Marry him to Nelly Furtado, ASAP!! ;)

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  17. Thundering165

Thundering165 Member+

North Carolina FC
    United States
    May 1, 2017
    Raleigh
    While I agree that passing direction can be ignored at times, though that's changing with the excellent new passing sonars. (Tweet included for example, can't find a Keaton pass sonar)

That said, Keaton has shown an ability to be a chameleon in the midfield, doing what his coach asks him to do. In terms of offensive ability in the 2017-2018 season he led Benfica B in assists and was 2nd in goals, better than Gedson, Florentino Luis, and the 126 million dollar man Joao Felix.

In Fall 2018 as Benfica were trying to integrate Florentino and Gedson into the first team he dropped much deeper and was more responsible for connecting the defense to the forwards and attacking mids, much less involved in the attack. There was a lot of consternation as his goals and assists plummeted but his numbers were similar to Florentino's in the same position.

To label him as a back pass merchant is pretty inaccurate.

18. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    So he can play for Canada?

The Irish Rover repped this.
  19. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    From your suspicions to your lips, nothing more.

What's "smart" about turning the ball over? Your team can't score goals when the opponent has the ball.

You'd prefer a clean-up hitter with a .200 batting average with 40 home runs to the same player hitting .300 with 100 rbis and 100 runs scored?

20. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    i think baseball has changed dramatically so maybe not the best comparison. home runs uber alles

21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn’t his best game ever. But they let him go forward toward the end, and he created two goals.

No Sands at the back always causes problems building from deep.

I’m starting to think Ring plays ahead of Sands in that scenario because Dome trusts Keaton to be the better passer.

Also worth noting that Maxi wasn’t playing until late in the game, so everything was clunky.

I like Keaton. He’d do as well as a 6 as anything 3G has put out there.

22. matabala

matabala Member+

Sep 25, 2002
    Fair enough, my baseball bona fides ended with the 20th century.

23. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parks got the start vs NYRB. He played his usual self, went the distance. I thought he could have done so much more. He had a chance to score from 10 yards out with a header and ended up pushing it wide. He has to make those if he wants to move to the next level. NYCFC won 2-1.

wixson7 repped this.
  24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    I'm an NYC season ticket holder and a fan of KP - Maxi Morales is the perfect foil for him - and the perfect tutor. He's got some rare qualities we don't see often in Yanks - he's not a midget :) and he's really composed in possession. He's a possession merchant like Bradley, but he's much better in possession in traffic and better at dribbling. Definitely could work on his finishing and his killer pass - but he's a solid player with a skill set we can use more of.

zlatan_but_a_car and LouisZ repped this.
  25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Maxi is tiny and compensates for it being cerebral. Not just Parks could learn from him.