Park City jersey unveiling (March 12, 2005)

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by PumaJohnny, Mar 12, 2005.

1. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I already can't stand you RSL scum, but the uniforms are quite nice.

Bums.

2. Papin

Papin BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 19, 1998
    le côté obscur
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    now, correct me if I'm wrong, but seems like the official jerseys shown in the photos released before the unveiling are slightly different from the real thing:
    looks like the real (scuse the pun) versions don't have the alternating red and gold adidas stripes on the white jersey and blue shorts. Also, no Spanish flag on the right sleeve.
    So there you have it, RSL's kits aren't AT ALL like Spain's! ;)

3. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    I'm having trouble finding this on the front. :confused:

[​IMG]

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking for myself only, I don't preach from a bully pulpit about purity. You seem to take an approach that promotes nothing, or very little, on the front of a jersey. I'm with you there. But the jerseys that "true footy fans" know are fronted with advertising except in rare club team cases, and national teams (some frightening "UGANDA" jerseys and the like being the exception). Given a choice between advertising (true footy jerseys in the Spurs74 case), simplicity (your prefered option), and the team name on the front, I choose simplicity. But in responding directly to the Spurs74 post, I stated a preference for the team name instead of advertising. Not quite a bully pulpit about advertising.

5. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I think it's a killer kit. Way better than what we Revs fans have as options. Can't wait to see them on the field against Columbus's all-yellows. Gonna get me one today.

6. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Actually, you obviously haven’t heard that Utah is a monarchy. The king is Dave Checketts and we all render obeisance to him in the form of a regal name: Real Salt Lake.

We decided to call our team “Real” after King Dave agreed to be the honorary president of the club. By the way, Dave speaks only Spanish. Otherwise, we would have called the name “Royal.”

7. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Flippin sweet! Too bad those hats aren't part of the uniform. :)

8. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

9. Arelius

Arelius Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Yea, that would be cool, the boys’ headers would go in all kinds of directions…

10. Freddy Garcia Lives

Feb 28, 2003
    Tumwater, WA

11. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. RSL is still trying to introduce themselves to the uninitiated people in SLC. The badge with 'ReAL' helps in identifying the team to those unfamiliar with them. When they see the badge with 'ReAL' on it through some media, like newspaper or TV, they are more likely to identify it with the team. I bet in a season or two they move to the simpler (and more popular) badge.

12. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    From your loyal opposition:

1. Of course the uni looks classic: it's Spain's. It's not just the jersey, its the blue shorts too.

2. Doesn't matter what you say about branding, the badge doesn't need to say "ReAL" when the shirt blares it three inches away. In fact, it would make more sense from a branding perspective to have that second, simpler logo on there.

On the white shirt, yeah, the badge should say ReAL.

3. More than half of MLS claims red as their first or second color. Welcome aboard!

13. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously. On the home shirt it just looks cluttered and busy.

On a totally off-topic note- does all of this insane commenting on what amounts to clothing make us metrosexual or just graphic design freaks?

14. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    ACTUALLY, that is ON-TOPIC... Queer Eye for the Soccer Guy would care less about these uniform discussions than half the dorks who post here!

News flash - It's not about what you wear, it's about what you do on the field...

I'll give everyone the "tie" to Utah - it's the two words that come after Real ... "Salt Lake"... Just be happy that:

1) We have a team
    2) We have players that just might win a few games

Man, fans get spoiled fast...

15. Steve H.

Steve H. Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Slovenia
    I'm sorry, but as my wife pointed out, the "e" with the crown on it looks like a logo for margarine or something. It looks like a joke, like the Anaheim Mighty Ducks, and not a team that should be taken seriously.

And I am "real" disappointed that they cluttered up the badge as well.

I guess I will just have to go with the road jersey.

16. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville

And they presumably want to develop recognition of that second version.

17. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Newsflash - you haven't played a real game yet.

Until then, this branding stuff is not only noteworthy, it's important.

But I see where you're coming from. Utah. I'm not, so you can file these comments under "Irritating/Worthless" and thank us for instigating a healthful xenophobia for your fan community.

So far from MLS Utah, I've seen a bunch of poor concepts well executed. But to your main point, I gotta admit your team looks decent (can't believe some pundits were predicting Chivas USA would do better.) And I wish you luck, esp with that stadium thing.

18. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anything, it looks like a logo for Royal Crown (RC) Cola. :D

I think the Mighty Ducks comparison is a bit extreme. Cheesy logos are nothing new in American sports. RSL's is better than Columbus, Kansas City, Dallas and the Metrostars in any case.

19. jasoncox

jasoncox New Member

Jun 28, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps but remarkable considering the amount of time spent to accomplish all this. Let's all remember that SLC wasn't even on the expansion map until about June last year. They've basically hit the ground running since October and done well all things considered.

20. BulaJacket

BulaJacket Member

Columbus Crew (hometown), Minnesota United (close ties), Colorado Rapids (now home), Jacksonville Armada (ties)
    United States
    May 9, 2003
    Ashtabula, OH / Denver, CO / MN / Jax
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hadn't said it better myself.

It is a tremendous compliment to the front office that they can assemble and package a bunch of horrible ideas in a fashion that people sheepishly & passionately follow.

re: MDoA - Identity = comparison not extreme; Jerseys/logos = extreme comparison

As for logos, I agree with CBus & the Wizards, but IMO the Metros and FCD's new one both are on par with RSL, and better than the version that actually says "Real."

21. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC

I beg to differ.

[​IMG]

Jerseys are one of the simplest ways of conveying the professionalism of the league. Why mess up the easiest things?

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    wow. take something from 10 years ago and it looks out of fashion. Who would've thunk? For their day, they weren't horrible. Keep in mind some of the colors baseball, football, hockey and the nba were introducing.

23. YNWAYNWA

YNWAYNWA New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    New York
    as I understand it, "Real" is a title/recognition bestowed by a Monarch

Kings, Royals, Trojans, Spartans, Lions, Tigers and Bears are cute nicknames

is Mr. Checketts now referring to himself as Sir or Baron Checketts?

as for English Royalty, I'm proud that some of my ancestors helped remove the Monarchy and its Loyalists from these shores (at least south of Canada) two centuries ago

and speaking of the English and Loyalists, do you realize what a loaded term "Loyalists" (with a capital L) is in the UK? why didn't they choose a Spanish name in keeping with their RSL branding theme?

you don't want to be associated with the likes of these:
    http://www.chelsealoyalists.cjb.net/

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Why should a bunch of people in Utah care what people in England think?

Sachin

25. aosthed

aosthed Member

Jul 16, 2004
    40º30' N 111º52' W
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    If you think "Loyalist" is loaded in the UK - try it in Spain.

To the rest of the jersey discussions - Say what you want about the jerseys but they are not bad... and very few people outside of the hardcore soccer fans have any clue that they look like Spains. AND for those hardcore soccer fans in the Salt Lake area, if they don't attend the games for that reason - they don't deserve a team.

For the hardcore soccer fans OUTSIDE of RSL, Checketts isn't selling to you - just like Vergara isn't selling to me.