Panic's Pizza Thread revisited

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by panicfc, Aug 29, 2002.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    There's one of those in Edgewater. Pretty good, and I believe they are linked to Grimaldi's in some way.

2. Real Ray

Real Ray Member

May 1, 2000
    Cincinnati, OH
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So far the best I've had here in Cincinnati is Betta's Italian Oven. It's in the Norwood section of the city-it's become a spot to hit before Kings matches.

Wood stove, nice thin crust...I rate it high.

I've been doing a lot of Chicago style at home-this town is big on pork and sausage, which work great on these deep dish style pizzas. I've also been a pesto pizza kick for a while.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had La Rosa's back in 1998, it wasn't good. I like the idea of Betta's though. If I get to Cincy, I'll have to check it out.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    A new pizza joint called "The Pie Hole" just opened up across the street from my office in a space that was once occupied by one of those ****** coffee shops. Pretty damn good. So much better than Guidos and definately better than Pizza Slut. Slices are around $2 (they are all thin crust). Free refills on your drink. However the space is very, very small and once bad weather rolls around there won't be a place to sit inside and I sure as hell don't want to have lunch at the office. Yesterday was my first time in there and I'm gonna be a regular in there several times a week :eek:. My fave regular pizza of theirs is the potato and bacon with an alfredo sauce. YUMMY!!!!

5. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Procolino's Pizza, Chestertown MD.

Of course, depending on the chemical condition of my brain at any given time when I was at school, this may well have been pencil shavings with ketchup...but that's another story. :D

6. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Saturday I ate this wonderful huge giant pizza alla diavola + gorgonzola. I would tell you where but i don't think you all are willing to travel thousands miles.

7. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had Willington's award winning Pototae pizza with bacon - wow!

As for Sardinia - I've eaten pizza in Europe, heck all over Europe. I'm going back to Italy in 2009 for certain, so send me the name of that place.

8. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A bit off the track i guess but hey, you want to know, Nurallao, interior Sardinia, Pizzeria "da Mario".

[​IMG]

Mario is a nice guy from Naples' hinterland, a wonderful "pizzaiolo" who speaks a mix of neapolitan and good sardinian with a funny neapolitan accent.

:D

btw, the bottom line is it's hard not to find a good pizzeria near you if you're in italy.
    nothing new i guess.

9. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That last line is the real deal - I found a great place in Ostia, Capitano's. Ate their twice in one day.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh wait, when I was in Perugia, well Tevre just outside of Perugia, I could not find a decent pizza place.

11. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah but there are plenty of bad ones too! In Calabria I had pizza twice and wasn't impressed either time. The second time wasn't so bad, but the first time... :eek: it was horrible!!

Naples is good to go pretty much 100% of the time...or 99%. Rome is actually pretty good too these days. Modena...yuck. Milano? Yuck. Florence probably makes halfway decent pizza.

My general opinion is that the further you get away from Naples, the more of a chance you are taking in ordering pizza. It might still be great, but the probability of success decreases with every km. ;)

Oh, and Sicily had some great pizza too, so I can see Sardegna also having great pizza. Guess my theory applies more to mainland Italy.

12. sardus_pater

sardus_pater Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Sardinia Italy EU
    Club:
    Cagliari Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The locals know well. Always always always ask the locals.

13. Cassano

Cassano Member

Jul 16, 2004
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In Italy it's also the small places in the small towns that are great. In my mother's small town San Pietro al Tanagro (in Vallo di Diano, provincia di Salerno), there was an awesome pizza place called Bandana. Also, about 30 minutes away, there was a pizza place situated in a castle. You could even see the bats flying around. I went to Florence, but I wasn't that impressed with the pizza. I agree with Randy with his good pizza=close to Napoli statement...

14. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    Oy I think I have eaten at the Pie Hole 4 days last week and already 2 days (going on 3 after today's lunch) this week. I usually have two slices and two fills of lemonade so I'm guessing that I will hit the 230 pound mark by Thursday or so.
    :eek:

They did give me a tshirt yesterday cuz I eat there so much.
    :D

15. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great work

eating Palermo's leftovers

16. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    While it may seem like a tourist trap I thought the Mystic Pizza (II), (the one on the circle before you get to Foxwoods in CT) was pretty damn good. There does seem to be something in the sauce and the crust was really good.

I grew up in RI which has a big Italian-American population so good pizza was abundant (and places that made bad pies went away quickly). Pizza on Sun night was a tradition in our house. This place on Federal Hill in Providence is an institution and what truly makes them unique is that their crusts are rectangular: http://www.pizzatoday.com/features_articles.shtml?article=NzNzdXBlcjcwc2VjcmV0Nzc=

K

17. gerby

gerby Member

Jan 14, 2001
    South of Belgium
    This pleased all our Italian friends for sure !! ;)

18. talina_baby

talina_baby New Member

Nov 20, 2003
    phoenix, az
    I like the mini barbeque chicken pizza that Schlotzsky's makes. Yum!

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerby, its true.
    7,300 independent pizza places and they have less than 3 million people.

20. Gunner Phan

Gunner Phan Member

Dec 12, 2003
    Gramercy, NYC
    (Famous) Ray's Pizza

corner of 11th st and 6th Ave. the original Ray's of NYC and my personal phav slice of cheese.

If you recall 'Elf' - santa's instructions for NYC included a shout out to this magnificant restaurant.

21. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm pretty sure I ate on at least two "Ray's" while in Manhattan.

Had pizza in Odense, Denmark - not great. Adequate at best.

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Worst pizza I've ever had was a seafood pizza in Portree, on Skye. I don't know what the hell I was thinking to order it in the first place, but this was one of the few times I've actually gagged on something I ordered.

There is no good pizza in Scotland.

23. Shabs

Shabs Member

Jun 19, 2002
    NYC
    My NYC ranking:
    1 - Grimaldis in Bklyn
    2 - Lombardis on Spring St., in/near little Italy.

Other good ones:
    -Johns on Bleeker
    -Deninos in Staten Island. Port Richmond Ave. Go in the summer, after the pizza head to Ralphs Italian Ice stand across the street. The original. Awesome.

24. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I need to check out Lombardy's.

25. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver