Panic's Pizza Thread revisited

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by panicfc, Aug 29, 2002.

1. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

That place was on Food Network last night on Mario Batali's show Ciao America or some shit like that. I heard the sicilian slices are unreal.

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Ok, revisiting this thread...
    I seem to remember mentioning egg on pizzas last time I was in here.

I'll ask again, for good measure (y'know different faces, plus the fact I can't remember what every answered last time:) ) - What say you all?

Have you had egg on pizza? Liked it?

I've always been an advocate of it - it adds a little something. It doesn't suit being eaten in slices by hand for the obvious and sloppy reasons, and if done right, you have the runny yolk as a 'sauce' (?I guess). Plenty of black pepper and you're away. Lovely.

Unfortunately, hardly anyone (bona fide Italian restaurants, not just the chains) does it. I've looked it up and it seems to be a speciality of a certain area in Italy, so not even widespread in the home of the pizza. Nevertheless it does crop up occasionally, and when it does, I grab the opportunity firmly.
    I've heard that the actual liking in those specific areas, is for the egg to be cracked over the pizza after the pizza has come out of the oven, i.e. raw. I'm not that hardcore, I hasten to add.
    I found a pic of the hardcore version:

[​IMG]

I'm making my own tonight - well not strictly. I'm buying cheap pizzas and tarting them up.
    Went to the local Lidl's (wierd German place that sells loads of foreign brands) and got some thin base ham+mushroom pizzas for about 50p each. The price would suggest crap, but since they're for our more discerning continental friends, they're actually pretty good.
    So, with a goodly sprinkling of more cheese (you can never have enough), a few slices of cheap salami (which I also bought there), a few of Black Forset smoked Ham (also...yes), then (making sure there's enough of a well in the middle) you crack an egg in the middle (though, the runnier you like it, obviously the later you crack the egg ontop). Oh and make sure it's a fairly fresh egg, as older ones tends to spread too much.

Man I'm hungry.

3. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn I'm hungry.

I don't think I have time for a slice or two for lunch today, but I'm hungry.

4. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to Carmine's in West Hartford last night.

Ham and Pepperoni - top class. Had the leftovers for lunch and it was damn good today.

5. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Randy's Wooster st. pizza finally opened in Enfield this week. Went there last night and they get the big thumbs down. Was not impressed at all with their "new haven" style brick oven pizza. Something about their mozzerella just made my stomach upset. On the good side the "wicked bread sticks" and the boneless wings were pretty good

6. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had a bad experience at the one in Southington. Putrid was the word I used to describe it, if I remember correctly.

Service was poor for us as well.

===
    Carmine's on Sunday afternoon. Ham and Pepp again. Excellent.

Sunday night - friends took us to West Main for pepperoni and green pepper.

Very good.

That's right - two different pizzas in one day.

7. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax
    Without the egg, that is my dream pizza. Tomato, fresh mozzarella, basil...thats all a pizza needs.

I'm a bit leary of the egg... its not cooked and I don't feel like Rocky.

8. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    I know what you mean about the egg - yes, I'm not sure about raw but 10 minutes in the oven and that egg would be utterly fabulous.

9. andygus

andygus Member

Dec 13, 2001
    No. Va.
    Has anybody in the LA area ever had Z Pizza? I had it a few months ago when I was there, thought it was fantastic. Even better, they told me it was coming to Northern Virginia this summer! I can't wait.

10. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Food Network is showing the pizza shows.

Oh, had Carmine's in West Hartford yesterday:
    Pepperoni and ham
    Pepperoni/bacon/**********s/peppers

I'm so freaking hungry now.

11. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    What the hells' so offensive that it gets bleeped by the censor, but is still ok to put on a pizza?

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on - yuns.

the blow up with the nyc soccer store a few years back caused this problem.

"bulge in the old on yun bag"

13. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002
    **********s

hey you're right. And we now have to make a post 10 words long?

Seriously, where did that ban come from. How can the word oignon (Francais n'est pas) manage to get to censorship standard?

Can't believe that.

14. Bilbao2Brooklyn

Jun 20, 2001
    Brooklyn,U.S.A.
    If you never been to Spumoni Gardens in Gravesend, Brooklyn you have never eaten Pizza.

Mikes on 20th ave Bensonhurst(my local joint)
    second Ginos on 74th and 5th
    third My little Pizza on Court street (squares only)

BTW Fries it is Gravesend not Bay Ridge

I think I'll go tonight for some.

15. eric d

eric d Member

Sep 9, 1998
    Spumoni has by far the best Sicilian slice I have ever eaten anywhere in my entire life.

16. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax

Panic, was that "Follow that Pizza" with Gordon Elliott? I wish I had that on video. It is an amazing program, which fueled my love for the Neopolitan style.

Bilbao, it cracks me up but you just made me think of the Lordz of Brooklyn again. They have a song called "Gravesend."

There is a killer place in Brooklyn Heights called Fascati. Its basic NYC style and I haven't been there in years, but I remember it being awesome.

Last night I got a couple premade pizzas at the Dekalb Farmers Market (fresh, not frozen.) One had the biggest slices of pepperoni I have ever seen. They looked like salami slices. It was deeeelicious.

Onions. heh heh

On-yuns.

17. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, it was the "Best of Pizza" - I've seen the Gordon show, and eaten at 3 of his places.

Fascati: Never had it.
    -
    Onions - does it work?

-====
    Last night:
    Carmine's in West Hartford: ham and pepperoni and a pepperoni, sausage, bacon and onion. I don't like red peppers on pizza as much as green peppers.

Thursday night: 1/2 cheese 1/2 bbq chicken. Preparing for Lent and no meat Friday.

18. El Toro

El Toro New Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Fountain & Fairfax

I gave up beer for Lent and this whiskey is killing me! :)

19. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow - been a long time.
    Carmine's the past few Saturdays. Usually a ham/pepperoni and some combination of spinach, tomato, onions, whatever.
    ==
    New place: Mack's in Bristol. Not too far from ESPN. Good flavor, crust needed to be crispier, but very good. I'd go again.

20. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well you can rest assured that I have not given up pizza the past 6 plus months.
    Carmine's - countless times, pepperoni and bacon is a fave, as is the meatball/tomato.

West Main -
    Ray's original in Manhattan
    Rocco's in Newport, Rhode Island
    Grimaldi's - Brooklyn
    John's in Manhattan
    Pizzaria Reggina in Boston

Olee's of Farmington...

21. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Howdy! Check my signature for my reason for being here. ;)

22. Frieslander

Frieslander Member
    Staff Member

Feb 14, 2000
    North Jersey
    I miss this thread.

I still really like Puzo's in Hawthorne, NJ. I had a regular pie (not a white pie) there with bacon and broccoli that was out of this world.

Eddie, if you mention going to a Ray's in Mahattan you need to mention the location. There are a ton of them with every imaginable combination of 'Ray's,' 'Original,' and 'Famous' in their name.

23. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Original Ray's in Times Square and 48th , plus another one on the East Side I think.

Had a pie in West Haven - Zuppardi's. Top class.

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Having recently moved to Florida and discovering California Pizza Kitchen, I must say their Chicken and Roasted Potatoe pie is outgoddamnstanding.

25. RandyNA74

RandyNA74 Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Some outstanding places in Naples:

1) Da Michele near the train station which I already mentioned in another thread, they only make marinara, mozzarella (margherita), or double mozzarella. That place has been around since the turn of the century. Like, the previous turn of the century. ;)

2) 'o Calamaro in Bagnoli

3) Di Matteo on Via Tribunale in Old Naples, somewhere in the endless alleys. Went there once in 1997 and never forgot it.

4) Il Pizzaiolo del Presidente ("The President's Pizzamaker"). So named because the owner once cooked a pie for Clinton himself when he was in Naples for the G7 (1994). Although this isn't the place where Clinton ate (that would be Di Matteo).