News: Paladini suspended

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Placid Casual, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ouch. Crew been on the News recently drumming up for the playoffs, pushing the rebrand...

Now we have a violent player who beats his wife (probably how they'll spin it). Great publicity for the Crew.

Now we sound like the Ravens.

4. crew2112

crew2112 Member+

Jan 25, 2008
    Dayton, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It's been a tough couple months for Paladini. I'm sure the broken leg isn't easy. He's probably looking at being cut this off season. Not to excuse his actions but we really have no idea what happened.

5. Grouchy

Grouchy Member+

Evil
    Apr 18, 1999
    Canal Winchester
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or we could Hope Solo spin it...

Probably best to wait until more details are released. It could be a simple misunderstanding.

6. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like the part where the say the league and the team are cooperating. How exactly are they doing that?

Youll note that nowhere is the term "violence" used. Let's not jump to the conclusion that Paladii hit his wife. The news item says nothing of the kind.

Absent even the slightest details - like one of Hope Solo's famous 911 calls - it's hard to know what to think. The polic were called for "a domestic dispute", which can mean as little as a couple of people yelling at each other.

The fact that no arrest was made and apparently no one was removed from the home would seem to suggest that no physical violence was involved.

Unlike USSF with Solo, the player has been suspended pending an investigation, which is particularly meaningless considering that even if the team was playing he'd still be out with an injury.

7. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does me underlining, bolding and italicising it help?

I didn't say he did - I said that's how they're going to spin it.

8. BG13

BG13 Member+

Jun 25, 2007
    Hopefully he didn't hit his wife or something similar. Getting in a fight with a shithead father in law is also a domestic dispute, too

9. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    If no arrest was made it's unlikely he struck anyone.

I was told by an officer (don't know if it's actual law or common practice) that if there is an accusation or any physical evidence of violence they are always required to arrest one or both parties.

This is also assuming the police were even called at the time of the incident. If he's "under investigation" it could just mean someone made an allegation and they are looking into it.

10. DAFCrew

DAFCrew Member+

Feb 27, 2007
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    That's an essential point to consider. Domestic violence is a very serious issue, and it's all the rage now, thanks to the NFL and the media's need to fill up twenty-four hours a day with something . . . anything at all.

But the fact of the matter is that the majority of domestic disputes that officers get dispatched to are just that. Disputes. Obviously, we don't know enough about this one yet. But a suspension seems a bit much here if there was no physical contact.

Bill Archer repped this.
  11. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the league and Crew playing "CYA". If it turns out to be he and his wife were yelling at each other and the Cops were called, then they can say "Look how proactive we were - we're not like the NFL, et all". If it turns out something happened (unlikely given the fact nobody was arrested), they can still say, "Look how proactive we were - we're not like the NFL, et all".

Plus, it's really a non-punishment because he's already done for the year due to his leg - it's not like he was a vital cog in our Starting XI. So we lose a guy to suspension who was already canned for the season.

That's all it is.

12. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just a detail but we do strive for accuracy here in Crewville:

It's his fiance.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  13. Tycon5

Tycon5 Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you for the clarification. I saw that but was too lazy to post it.

14. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
  15. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Due to my many years of watching the TV show Cops has made me an expert and this is in fact true. I have also learned from the show that you must take your shirt off to be arrested in the US.

16. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    The NFL is still trying to figure out what to do with Adrian Peterson while the Ray Rice investigation plays out. Peterson pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor that means no jail time so he's ready to report to practice. The league probably would like to keep him away for a while longer but doesn't have good grounds so they're stalling.

17. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    For all we know ( which is not much) this could boil down to....One pain the arse neighbor with nothing better to do than stir fry a skillet full of trouble out of thin air.
    alice.jpg
    aka Alice Kravitz

Robbo Crewfan repped this.
  18. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    Rule #2 is if they find something on you, you say you have no idea how it got there.

It's also acceptable to say it's a friend's.

19. FootyRef

FootyRef Member+

Apr 13, 2007
    Westerville, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She looks like she just caught the two Darrins (Dicks - Sargent and York) having a go at it.

porchlight repped this.
  20. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Would you say that is more likely than an actual altercation between Paladini and his fiance? Let's not be ostriches here.

21. porchlight

porchlight Member+

Jul 27, 2013
    Crawlumbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    From another source: "it was neighbors that called the police."

22. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm asking what is more likely. About 1.3 million women and 835,000 men are assaulted each year in the United States by their partners.

Of course it's possible that Paladini's neighbor is an officious interloper, but it's far far far more likely that something happened which merited the police's involvement.

23. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    It could also be something like an argument at 3 AM. There was no violence or citation written that we know about so the league suspending a guy with an injury sounds more like he is being used by the league to make a social statement. I don't know Paladini at all but this is one of those things where his name is being smeared and I don't know what he did.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  24. Lucky Day

Lucky Day Member+

Nov 12, 2008
    Columbus
    I agree it's much more likely that something did occur, but I believe his original post about a snoopy neighbor was slightly in jest.

I guess that's possible, but the fact that there is no citation or arrest at this time doesn't prove it one way or another.

If he's "under investigation" it could also be something as serious as a person coming to the police and saying he assaulted them. That doesn't necessarily lead to an immediate arrest if they're still trying to piece things together.

That being said, the fact that we haven't heard of an arrest a few days after the fact or any more information by now makes me suspect this isn't going to be anything extremely serious for him.

25. Bill Archer

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of everything I ever wrote the most violent and vicious personal attacks I ever got was when I wrote that someday in the future you'd turn on your TV late at night and catch an episode of Cops where Hope Solo was standing outside a doublewide with a Marlboro light in one hand and a baby on her hip screaming at the popo as they stuffed her old man into the back of a black & white.

I forgot to mention that her old man would be shirtless.

DAK77 repped this.