Paddy McCourt to Quakes?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Earthshaker, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. JohnWP

JohnWP Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Monterey, CA
    We could use another wide midfielder. Although we could use him, like, NOW with Chavez leaving for Gold Cup duty. He seems to have a similar skill set to Hucks, cutting in going around defenders and creating his own goals. Oh well, if Birmingham makes a decent offer, I wouldn't hold my breath on him coming here.

QuietType repped this.
  3. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great skill with the ball at his feet and beating opponents on the dribble. Reminded me a bit of Huckerby.

4. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Now that's more like it. Reminds me more of Dawkins in that he uses relatively long strides but manages to keep tight control of the ball. And looks like he can finish just fine thank you. Don't see it happening though. I don't know how the Quakes would clear room under the cap for a guy like this, especially after signing Goodson. And then it seems that he prefers staying closer to home and I'm sure there will be offers.

5. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clear room by dropping Hernandez

6. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Don't think they can because Hernandez's salary is probably guaranteed, and I believe that means that it continues to count against the cap even if they waive him. I would guess that if someone picked him up on waivers that would clear the space? Or they could trade him, but who in their right mind would trade for an older average / mediocre defender at >$200k?

7. SWOKI

SWOKI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    TFC - DCU - Chivas

Lets hope for waves or a trade. When do trades open up?

8. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That guy looks better than Huckerby and Dawkins, but looks like he hasn't scored in 2 seasons.

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I love the control and confidence... those were his best 5 and the defending was atrocious as was the goal keeping on that last goal.

10. Das Moots

Das Moots Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, those are some sic goals.

would love him on the team. maybe a years supply of sun screen would sweeten the deal enough to bring him to sunny norcal;)

11. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, some of those goals remind me of that classic George Best goal as a Quakes where he dribbled around a bunch of traffic cone-like defenders. Looks impressive, but the defending looks really poor. Hard to tell how this guy's skills would translate in MLS.

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that video is from 2010. he had a great season in 10/11 but didn't do jack in 11/12 or 12/13:

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/paddy-mccourt/leistungsdaten-detail/spieler_43925.html

13. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    article says birmingham city are interested in him. the good news is birmingham's accounts are frozen right now b/c their owner carson yeung is literally on trial as we speak in Hong Kong for money laundering and fraud. so they are the one championship club that we could theoretically outbid.

14. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I've seen Paddy plenty over the years and he's no where near as good as Huckerby, and is possibly a bit more effective over Dawkins. Also let's bear in mind MLS is stronger than the Scottish Premier and he was somewhat of a bit player there. Style wise he's direct, quick and tricky. He'd be a decent back up for our current wingers.

I think it's a non point anyways, I've met McCourt a few times and he's a home bird, I don't know would he be prepared to live so far from home. As much as I'd love to have another Irishman at the club...

Marinquake and FUAEG repped this.
  15. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Hmm, I would rate Dawkins pretty close to Hucks in terms of his effectiveness as a Quake, so I find it hard to find a place for him that is "nowhere near" Hucks and yet "more effective" than Dawkins.

16. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I only know of one Northern Irish professional footballer.....:)

17. Ultan

Ultan Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Pacifica
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Fair point, I was basing that more on career wise observations. Huckerby was super for Norwich and that's where I seen most of his career.

18. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    OK. I would just say that if he's as good as Dawkins was with the Quakes, he'd be a very good pickup. I'm kind of ignoring their respective careers overseas, looking at it with my Quakes blinders on :).

QuietType repped this.
  19. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here is another article about McCourt.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/talking-reds-paddy-mccourt-would-1947686

20. bigdumbgod

bigdumbgod Member+

Jun 25, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know of a certain Wee Man, who does hesitate to make known his allegiance to "Glasgow Celtic". Even says so on his license frame. Send him to arrange terms...

21. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great he's a lazy and unmotivated has been.

My prediction if we sign him ...
    He'll spend so much time on the bench he'll earn the nickname Paddy'O Furniture.

TyffaneeSue, markmcf8 and Earthshaker repped this.
  22. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh my gosh... /drool .... This is exactly the type of player we need in the midfield. Someone who isn't afraid to take on opposing player head on, at close range, and has the talent to back it up. Keeps opposing teams and GKs guessing, isn't afraid to pull the trigger, nice touch, amazing control in close quarters, tons of experience in Europe. He could eat some of the MLS back lines for breakfast looking at some of those runs.

I'll try not to get my hopes up... :x3:

23. jussen1

jussen1 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    SJ
    Tommy Armstrong. Former NASL Quake?

24. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    Nice! We should sign him just for his name "Paddy" if nothing else. So many possibilities.

25. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, if we come to like him we will be known as Paddophiles.