pace of US Coach search

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by juvechelsea, Jun 21, 2018.

1. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes he is. I was merely pointing out that I saw him at the game yesterday. Folks in these parts seem to believe that he's pulling or should be pulling double duty.

Marko72 repped this.
  2. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup. Not like he was watching Bethlehem Steel last week looking for a coach either...

3. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The more friendlies against strong nations we win, the more seductive the position becomes for a top manager. Right?

4. False9

False9 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 31, 2018
    Is this really a thing? People are complaining that we haven't hired a coach fast enough?

The next cycle begins in September. The World Cup is going on right now. There's no need, and certainly no reason, to hire a coach right now.

ifsteve, Winoman, onefineesq and 2 others repped this.
  5. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Based on what? Your armchair rhetoric in each thread in this forum?

Please tell us all why not having a coach or GM starting until August is unreasonable.

Are you a troll or working at the soccer house in Chicago?

If you are the latter, at least give everyone he time of day to back up your statement.

6. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Its reasonable if some of the coaches the USSF would really like to speak to for the position are currently at the World Cup. Like say, Juan Carlos Osorio.

I think we'd all rather that Earnie get the decision right rather than rush into it.

Right when the World Cup ends we should have an interview schedule set up. It shouldn't take that long. I think the position is more desired than some make it out to be. While the USMNT coaching position isn't the highest paid in the world, theyr'e also not cheap. Of the 32 coaches at the 2014 World Cup, Jurgen Klinsmann was 10th highest paid. 32nd? Miguel Herrea of Mexico. People realize that, right? Jorge Luis Pinto of Costa Rica (who had a legendary tournament) was 26th. Klinsmann was the 2nd highest paid coach of the Western Hemisphere at that time. [His salary was a little higher due to some responsibilities as technical director. What he actually did in that role is anybody's guess.]

And as USMNT coach right now you have a pretty stress-free job of rebuilding this team for a couple of years. And the cupboard of talent is nowhere close to bare as we've seen over and over again over the last year. There's young talent all over the place. It may be seen as quite a nice position................

beamish and Winoman repped this.
  7. ttrevett

ttrevett Member+

Apr 2, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The search should look no further than Carlos Queiroz.

8. False9

False9 Member

Atlanta United
    United States
    May 31, 2018
    It's not unreasonable to have a coach in August hence why I never made such a claim.

Do you notice the words 'right now' in my previous post? It's not August right now, is it?

Good one, though.

9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Quieroz turned down the USSF for "failing to make a firm offer" or something of the sort back in 1998.

Funny how things are.

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Hmm... if you look at the Country by Murder Rate table and see the USA around the likes of Sudan, Ecuador and Lithuania, I can't blame you if you have second thoughts about moving there with your family.

11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    :rolleyes:

TOAzer repped this.
  12. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    For many people (like myself) such is a major consideration in choosing where I want to live. It's true, don't shoot me for it.

13. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
    The moral obscenity of America's segregation and wealth inequality isn't really a personal safety concern when USSF is paying you gated-community-in-Calabasas money.

And the palatability of the political situation in a country obviously isn't the #1 concern of a westerner who is currently coaching Iran.

superdave repped this.
  14. jaykoz3

jaykoz3 Member+

Dec 25, 2010
    Conshohocken, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I've been telling you: Sarachan stays until the end of the year and maybe longer, depending on whether the 100 fans of the USMNT give signs of getting mad as hell or not.

16. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    If we don't have a coach by the time of our cash grab/TV deal make-weight friendlies Pulisic should retire from the national team.

17. Jersey1

Jersey1 Member

Oct 8, 2012
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly I don't even care when we hire a coach or who it is because the program is such a shambles I fully expect the new coach to be fired before we ever get to 2022.

18. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Earnie should hire the coach just to fire him, show everyone who's the boss, the big tough guy. Let everyone know we are doing things, things are being done!

DoctorD repped this.
  19. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    This is absolutely ********ing ridiculous! I'm glad I saw this while not being logged in - otherwise I never would have realized the sheer manure you are trying to spread to people too lazy to check your data..

The intentional homicide rate per 100,000 in U.S. - according to World Bank data from 2015 was 4.9 - in other words in the same category as your beloved Canada. In Brazil it was 26.7 and in Argentina it was 6.5. Any chance someone would turn down their National Team gigs based on that?

Additionally, according to FBI statistics, violent crime overall in the US fell 48% between 1993 and 2017. The Bureau of Justice Statistics numbers during that same period has it as falling by 74%.

Yeah, let's just sit here and admire your erudition while you claim the U.S. is no better than the Sudan where 1.9 million people died in their civil war and where there are still 17,000 UN peacekeepers in the south.

I'm sick of this unchecked propaganda. Why do you even bother claiming to support the USMNT.

Enjoy this article while I put you back on ignore:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/london-murder-rate-beats-new-york-as-stabbings-surge-f59w0xqs0

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is actually well-sourced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

with data from:

https://dataunodc.un.org/crime/intentional-homicide-victims

You can't lie online. You should already know that.

21. Fighting Illini

Fighting Illini Member+

Feb 6, 2014
    Chicago
  22. FirstStar

FirstStar Hustlin' for the USA

Fulham Football Club
    Feb 1, 2005
    Time's Arrow
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sarachen signed through the end of the year (although, supposedly, with an out clause if USSF hires someone sooner).

Actually, that is pretty good business from USSF. They can negotiate a little harder on financial terms now that they don't look as immediately in need of a coach.

23. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    They're still licking their financial wounds after having to pay Klinsmann and Arena for the privilege of watching the World Cup from home.

24. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Millionaires don't have this problem. Anywhere in the world. You don't see Dunga crying about living in Rio. Because he's got the money. They could use Jurgen Klinsmann there, what with the fact that you need to use helicopters to move around and not get murdered...

25. soccerusa517

soccerusa517 Member+

Jun 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Patience. The longer we wait, the longer it'll take for the new coach to implement a style of play and see different players/combinations. Not like there's the Gold Cup next summer. Haha!