News: Pablo re-signed to a 3 year deal per ESPN FC

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by JasonMa, Dec 13, 2016.

1. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, let's hope he doesn't return to year 1 or 2 PM like my gut thinks.

3. jimijam28

jimijam28 Member+

Nov 9, 2010
    Denver area
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if he does- warm up the plane with the banner -#pabloout

4. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3 years? Really?

kucsdat and AvaiBunton repped this.
  5. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rapids fans resigned to 3 more years of Pablo as head coach.

6. AvaiBunton

AvaiBunton Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I totally agree. I was hoping for a 1 year with options...I guess that could be there like a players contract, but don't know that yet I guess.

JasonMa and UxSxAxfooty repped this.
  7. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I don't know why anyone would have expected less. (As opposed to what one wanted.) The Rapids were always going to extend him. 1 year plus options is what you offer when you don't have the guts to fire someone but don't want them, so you insult them.

8. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really, there wasn't any other option given what he did this season. Let's just hope they also require him to find an offense guru that can talk him into playing more offensive/ technical players & sub earlier.

9. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see what you did there - resigned, resigned - very clever

10. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So which will it be? Pablo improves in coaching the attack, the FO replaces JJ & Pappa with attacking talent, and the Rapids are even better next year? Or we continue to be too defensive and too limited in the attack, and some of the 1-0s and 0-0s turn into 1-1s and 0-1s and we're back below the line?

I have no idea what to expect for next season. We'll see who comes in.

11. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If/When Pablo makes it to game 27 next year he'll have coached more regular season games than any other coach in team history.

Also at some point next year (still looking for some gameday rosters to do the final calculation) he'll have played in or coached half the competitive games in Rapids history.

zapem_10, fortcollins, jayd8888 and 2 others repped this.
  12. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Personally, I find it a bit sad that someone coaching 3 1/2 years becomes our longest tenured coach. Lack of stability at it's core. Let's hope PM does well enough to become a long tenured coach (and brings us many championships).

rod.

13. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pablo is actually tied with Berhalter in Columbus for the 5th longest serving active coach in the league. Vermes, Olsen, Heaps (who should have been fired by now) and Porter have been in their positions longer.

4-5 years is about the average tenure of a MLS coach. Notable ones that have gone longer have been Kinnear in SJ/Houston, Hyndman in Dallas, Nicol in NE, Arena with LA, Kreis at FSL, and Sigi in Seattle.

zapem_10 and fortcollins repped this.
  14. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    So, it seems like a sad comment for the league. Other sports find success when the coaching staff is tenured (Oregon had the longest tenured staff until this year. and we all saw what happened when they had to rebuild!)

I am curious as the league matures if those teams who typically find success are also the ones with longer tenured coaches like in other sports.

rod.

15. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    22SteveD repped this.
  16. Waterboy66

Waterboy66 Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    SccrDon repped this.
  17. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Although I am always happy to complain, I really think this was an obvious choice. What organization in their right mind (OK this is the RFO) would change things up after easily the best regular season out of 21 years. It is like only the third or fourth winning season, if i remember correctly (how to could the shoot out years?).....certainly the first in a while. I am happy not competing for the most losses for a while.

I liked Pablo as a player, and so far he has learned a lot, and now given some talent, how can we argue for his ouster, do you really think Sir Alex could have done more with the '14 and '15 squads? I understand he plays Italian style defense with lots of counter, specializing in draws and 1-0 victories, not the easiest to watch at times, requiring antiacids and excess alcohol to get thru the second half.

Re-wind the Playoffs: If Howard was healthy, might we have won a shootout with Seattle and Toronto?

OK for 3 years. Maybe I am wrong, but I am in.
    Dallas missed another chance to host MLS cup at home. *Why* does that make my heart warm? Am I a bad person?

R

p.s. in the Bahamas, 84 today....how is the Denver weather?

18. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Weren't the 2014 Rapids (Pablo) basically the exact same roster as the 2013 Rapids (Oscar)?

19. 22SteveD

22SteveD Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2011
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's face it, how many teams would have ever let PM coach a third season, given the results of his first 2?

PM will now be here a few more years, My main concern now is the need to find the players who can score/ have high technical ability, speed that PM will actually play. Doyle is not the scorer PM needs given his 4 man attack, but looks like he will be the CF again next year. Plus I grew tired of wing having the ball at end line with absolutely no one in front of goal.

COMtnGuy, jayd8888, zapem_10 and 2 others repped this.
  20. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, save Thomas, Wallace, Sturgis, Smith (all of whom can play) and only adding Mari (one great game)....but as *I so call remember* we were doing OK, top part of the west, until July, then in August when Moor, arguably the best player on the squad went down, we went the last 10'ish games with a couple ties and no wins? The thinned roster vs. a MLS West with teams adding strength didn't work. Yes, I suppose young PM coulda' done better, but in an odd way the experience of losing games without a competitive roster may have helped him evolve into the coach he was last year, blunting other teams talent advantage and exposing their weakness.

I would make you a nice gentleman bet that 2017 is another winning season (They have had 7 in 21 years, 2016 they finished 2nd. Never before above 3rd.....some of their winning seasons they were 4th in the West with a crappy East).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Rapids

I would not like Oscar-the Wiener ( or Weiner). I am OK with the Pablo.

R

21. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, now, that's just evil. ;)

22. Centennial

Centennial Member+

Apr 4, 2003
    Centennial
    We had a beautiful sunny afternoon with a very light breeze with a chill in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soaker888 repped this.