P/I/P: World Cup Opener: Rapids-Minnesota United

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by Totoro, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    That scenario would be offside if they weren't in their own half, gained an advantage, and the mascot was not taking a goal kick.

JasonMa and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  2. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Playoffs?

Andy126 repped this.
  3. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    In this sea of misery, one fine moment emerges.

Great header by Smith, but that cross by Gashi was perfect. He is so much better at it than Price.

COMtnGuy, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  4. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

COMtnGuy, Dom. FC, JasonMa and 1 other person repped this.
  5. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No :D

Andy126 and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  6. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    I feel..................lukewarm.

A result is a result. A win is a win.

But it took being at home, against a below average side, riddled with injuries, down a man, in the 96th minute.

Also can’t help but notice that 2 of the 3 goals came in the final 30 minutes and both involved Gashi or Mason. Funny how that works, huh Coach?

A win is a win. I will take it....but not sure I’m ready to qualify this one as “corner turned.” String a few results together in a row, then you’ll have caught my attention.

RapidStorm and JasonMa repped this.
  7. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    Yes our clever like a fox time wasting probably contributed to the minimum of 6 minutes stoppage time. ;>) Gashi and Smith were clearly inspired by watching that Germany match I mentioned way back up thread as well?

COMtnGuy, Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  8. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #33 Totoro, Jun 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
    They finally turned the corner!

It was really good of that defender to fall down and let Mason get the clear shot.

COMtnGuy and Andy126 repped this.
  9. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I think Wilson kept Ibarra onside, allowing him to slip in behind Castillo. Then Wynne and Wilson didn't track Ramirez on the other side, either. Smith was counting sheep or something.

Keeps happening. What's the point of having a back 3 if they keep allowing players to slip in behind them, etc.

10. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pinch me.....
    The Rapids like always do this, overcome a 1-0, 2-1, and actually *win* (this is a term many of you are unfamiliar with, it what those teams do to use most of the time...).

Was it me, or was Gopher goal #2 as offsides as possible and do we not have VAR to say that? I will watch the replay. That said, normally we would fold.

Agree Dom, Gashi on the field makes goals WAY better than when he is not on the field.

Great tailgate (rib rack with Chinese spice BBQ with grilled nectarine for desert. OK Champagne too. Could have saved some for post game, but didn't. Great game from a team I have not seen like this yet this year.

R

Andy126 repped this.
  11. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Quintero was interesting. He is making $1.65 million...was there really no one in LigaMX willing to match that?

He does not look happy. Motioned several times to teammates in frustration after non- or bad passes. (Minnesota did not look good...) Absolutely did nothing close to pressing and rested when the team was on D.

He still has some quickness and set up the 1st goal, but he's the kind of guy that would not make the Rapids' 18.

12. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Rare win, and rare game where the Rapids had more possession and more shots. They should play a man up every game!

13. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    I thought they did review it. It would be helpful if the ref would signal that with the VAR signal.

It did not look offside to me. Wilson held Ibarra on, and then Ramirez was behind Ibarra and the ball.

Rod1916 repped this.
  14. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be damned. It takes me waking up in a foregin country after traveling all goddamn day for the Rapids to break a nasty winless streak. Just saw the highlights. Way to go boys! I'll have to down a little vodka here in Kazan for them. it's not too early right? It's only 8:25am :D

AlbertCamus, Dom. FC and MrPerfectNot repped this.
  15. Stuart95

Stuart95 Member+

Mar 11, 2012
    NoVA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When you've had so few, wins feel good ... especially ones like that.

Sports Yak repped this.
  16. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mason's goal makes him our second leading scorer behind Badji. Gashi's two assists puts him one behind Smith/Blomberg/Price for the lead. That from our 10th and 16th placed players in minutes played.

Hudson, play the quality players.

(I have to admit though, I was surprised when I realized Mason has played 162 more minutes than McBean.)

Rod1916, Andy126 and Deep Wilcox repped this.
  17. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good grief! What happened?????

Right after the Rapids leveled the score 1-1 I got a call and had to go into work. We had a water pipe break and turn the office part of our building into an indoor water park, so I had to help rescue equipment and didn't get to see the rest of the game.*

A win? Seriously? I'd forgotten what one of those was like. I don't care if it was a two-bagger, any win right now is awesome!

*I just swung by work again. I'm happy to report that the nice people in space suits who fix messes have made a lot of progress since splish-splash time last night. It isn't a water park any more, but it still has about the ambient humidity of a botanic garden. My Norfolk Pine is happy.

JasonMa, Rod1916 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We played?! We won! That's nice.

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just watched the replay of the part of the game I missed. What a weird half of soccer. It was played with the skill of the Wooden Spoon title match, but the Rapids actually looked like they cared, and that's a good thing.

On the soggy acres front, after a day of the office smelling like a rain-soaked Wookie, we now have bare concrete floors. It's a definite improvement.

SccrDon and Andy126 repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Was at the match Saturday. The first 20 minutes or so the Rapids were under constant pressure and at times were luck to have not conceded a goal. After that they did a bit better job with possession, but of course they then had the inevitable defensive breakdown that gave Minnesota its first goal.

However, once the change came where Hairston came out and Nicholson moved into the wingback the Rapids attack was more animated.

From my vantage point in the stands, as soon as Castillo hit the ball I could tell it was going in. It was a heck of shot - really high quality.

And going back to Nicholson's move to the wingback, he really makes a difference in the attack. I would start him there.

Got to hand it to the players for not giving up these last two matches. Last season a goal deficit would mean the end of the match.

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  21. COMtnGuy

COMtnGuy Member+

Apr 5, 2012
    Higher than you
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has a team ever had a "defender" win their Golden Boot?

22. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Repped for "Wooden Spoon title match", which you should definitely copyright