P/I/P, Wednesday, Rapids host Chicago, 7PM; June13th.

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by AlbertCamus, Jun 11, 2018.

1. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Took the dog out, I'm only at the 64th minute. I just want to say this Chicago team is very poor. They are so slow to move the ball across in the offensive half. Maybe they think the away is enough.

JasonMa repped this.
  2. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    My analysis, while brief, is highly technical:

1. Dog.
    2. Shit.

3. Period.

3. SccrDon

SccrDon Member+

Dec 4, 2001
    Colorado Springs
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A good news/bad news joke...

Good news - we broke the losing streak! But in the most Rapids way possible - by blowing a 2 goal lead at home to a mediocre Chicago team.

fortcollins, jayd8888, COMtnGuy and 6 others repped this.
  4. Andy126

Andy126 Member

Mar 31, 2017
    1. Moral Victories = Irrelevant

2. “So-and-So” player had a decent night = Irrelevant

3. The team is “still fighting” = Irrelevant

4. The team is “still gelling”/lots of offseason changes = Irrelevant

5. The team “still believes” = Irrelevant

6. 9 game losing/10 game winless streak = Very Relevant

7. Blow a 2 goal lead, at home, against a VERY mediocre team, prior to halftime = Very Relevant

I am a lifelong, inherent optimist in all that I do....This glass is not half full. This glass is not even half empty.

There is no glass.

There’s literally nothing to see here. Just go on about your lives. This is what Irrelevant looks like.

5. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    The Rapids got really lucky with calls. Streak over, oh well. We can still aim at historically low points I guess. The team is better to watch than last year.

jayd8888 repped this.
  6. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    #81 Totoro, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

The Rapids can't even suck right.

Granted, that was as a surprisingly entertaining game. 4 goals in 17 minute stretch, and then both teams got chances after that. But sheesh. SccrDon said it, that's the most Rapids thing ever. Stop a losing streak by losing a 2 goal lead in 9 minutes at home.

Observations:

-McBean still looks useless. Is he supposed to be a target man? He's not very good at winning headers. Skinny Badji is better at holding up the ball.

-What was up with the VAR on the high boot? Why not do it right after the play before the substitutions? One, just take care of it while the crowd is sitting around during a dead ball anyway. Two, that helped the Rapids. Did the Fire know they were reviewing the play for a possible red card on one of their players? At the dead ball but before the VAR was signaled they used their 3rd sub to put in Gordon for a fullback.

-More McBean: I was pissed at his slow, time-wasting walk off the field for his substitution. Why were we going for the draw??

--Schweinsteiger: He was a very strong player, but I'm surprised at how many people seemed to be there to see him. I did get a good angle on his shot that Howard saved. Low and that was some swerve.

--I was surprised how many people were there on a Wed night during a losing streak. Youth soccer tournament?

--Some quiet boos for Hudson when he was announced after the starting lineups. I didn't hear boos during the match though (my seats are on the west side).

--The contrast between substitution patterns still reminds me of Pablo, like for like. Chicago puts in 3 strikers for a striker, mid, and fullback, on the road no less, and the Rapids at home do striker for striker, wing for wingback (with the original wing moving to wingback), and wide mid for wide mid.

--Smith had him quite the eventful game. Good: stole the ball, fed Badji for the first goal. Good, stood there minding his own business at the far post off the short CK, then put the ball away for the 2nd goal. Bad: let Katai blow by him for the tying goal.

Well, the game got me to give a crap, that's more I can say for a lot of games recently.

AlbertCamus, Deep Wilcox and JasonMa repped this.
  7. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

jayd8888 repped this.
  8. Rod1916

Rod1916 Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Didn't get to watch the match as I am traveling this week. Followed a bit on the gamecast link.

Bottom line to me is I am very bummed to have missed the record in this manner. Missing the record through a big win would be outstanding. Missing it through a tie (and own goal contributing to that tie, no less) just masks the problem from a PR perspective....

Andy126, COMtnGuy and JasonMa repped this.
  9. mikebob

mikebob Member

Feb 21, 2002
    Denver, Colorado
    The Rapids played like they were terrified of the losing streak. They came out relatively strong with two goals in the first 15, then played scared the rest of the game.

They maintained very little meaningful possession! You will never hold a lead if you don't have the ball for 2/3rds of the game. Possession was 34.9% to 65.1%!

This was destined to be a tie despite the first 15'. Chicago was terrible and Minnesota is likely a bit worse for a couple of weeks out... so here's to a new streak - TIES! ...and a nice little break with no Rapids "action."

Andy126 and JasonMa repped this.
  10. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

11. Paranoid Coyote

Paranoid Coyote Member+

Oct 21, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I watched the highlights...

eye twitch.gif

fortcollins repped this.
  12. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids hold the record (shared) for consecutive league ties at 6.

mikebob repped this.
  13. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    After sleeping on it...

On the positive side, it was an entertaining game. The Houston game was an abomination to soccer, but yesterday had my attention. I also thought Badji had a particularly strong game. He's really learned to use his body to win and shield the ball. If you would have asked me three years ago who would be a better player, Hairston or Badji, I would have said Hairston. But Badji has really improved.

On the negative side, can they please replace the five man back line? They don't know how to play it. Every week there are holes, lack of marking, with no help defense. Hudson, you are not smarter than the other coaches. Just do what they do.

Last thought: both of the Chicago goals can win an award--goal of the week and own goal of the week. Man, Wilson roofed his shot in the top shelf. That one has a chance to be own goal of the year!

14. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    You could tell the players were confused at multiple points in the match. Everyone was pointing at each other not sure who was supposed to do what. Wynne is a bad defender he never steps to attacker and collapses far too deep. Bad positioning and decision making.

Sports Yak and Andy126 repped this.
  15. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "In the end when all is said and done, we've stopped the bleeding. That was really important because psychologically we got into a break down tonight. The most important thing after a run like this is we didn't lose. So we've stopped the bleeding and also at the end we probably did enough to get three points. We created some good chances at the end. I'm disappointed not to get the three points, but we've stopped that run."​

Bleeding also stops when the heart stops beating.

AlbertCamus, COMtnGuy, Dom. FC and 5 others repped this.
  16. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado

How many times over the past few years have we heard the team did enough to get three points? We're doing great in the fantasy league.

17. Rabidratz

Rabidratz Member

Jul 17, 2001
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    "Man, Wilson roofed his shot in the top shelf. That one has a chance to be own goal of the year!"

Isn't this the 3rd own goal the team has scored this season already? Looking at the "glass half full theory" we would have won this game but for that own goal. Just wondering if anyone has kept count of the other 2, if we would/could have won without them. Castillo got the last one, who got the first? Maybe we could get a record for own goals this season now that the losing record is lost.
    At least this game was exciting for the first 20 minutes.!

18. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    We stopped the bleeding by tying a mediocre team at home. Classic. Schweinstieger was fun to watch, good player.

19. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    FYP?
    More like we saved the village by burning it to the ground (with sparks from our unquenchable dumpster fire).

JasonMa and AlbertCamus repped this.