P/I/P Seattle @ Revs, 7/7, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 5, 2018.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think average is a good description. They are currently 8th of out 23 teams in PPG, but they have had a favorable, home-heavy schedule.

They still have only 1 win in 7 road games, and that was in March. Now, they have the hardest schedule in MLS the rest of the season:

Strength of Schedule Rankings update: Who has the toughest road left?
    July 9, 2018, 4:12PM EDT
    Benjamin Baer

Ten of the last 15 are on the road. Let's see where they end up after that.

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't agree with this - it's not like going to the acquisition super-store and plucking one off the shelf. Jones was a pretty unique player and, as it turned out, an ideal fit for what the Revs needed at the time.

I'd be interested in hearing who was a "like" player who the Revs could have acquired at that time.

3. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Two points. Kupp:

[1] "Like for Like" doesn't mean "Identical", it means someone with a commanding presence in the midfield to allow the skill players, such as Nguyen, space and freedom for attack. Shalrie Joseph, for example, used to play that role beautifully for the Revs. But no one would claim he and Jones were the same player.

[2] The Revs made no effort whatsoever to engage with and make a serious offer to anyone close to the Joseph/Jones level. They couldn't be bothered to make a serious offer to Jones himself. A serious FO would have paid to retain Jones for at least one more year, and then used that time to make a genuine effort to bring in a DP worth his salt.............

.But our FO is not serious, and did not, and multiple years later still have not. Although we certainly don't have to worry about the likes of Nguyen mucking up the opportunities for Herivaux and other Friedel approved future "stars".

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    1) they did sign someone - Kouassi, who for various reasons (the main one being a really unfortunate and ill-timed injury) didn't work out.

2) Jones was not interested in a one-year deal. He knew he was near the end and wanted one last big payday. He was pretty outspoken about the fact that for a short-term deal he would need to be close to his home and family in LA - that he wasn't going to move them for a short-term contract.

5. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Repped because for some reason, I thought this combination name you came up with made me laugh! Good one!