P / I / P Revs vs NYC, 7/18 [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    • Absolutely nothing has changed. We just about beat a mediocre team. And yet, we're not at all terrible. We have meaningful possession, and create chances. If we had David Villa in that game, we would have won 5-0. It's the SSDD. Regardless of what individual you choose to blame, the club is withering on the vine. I'm so tired of getting promotional emails from MLS about seeing the latest MLS star - most recently GDS - and knowing that Revolution is not part of any discussion. Jermaine Jones, one and done.

• I'm glad Charlie Davies is on the team and all, but there are times when it would be nice to switch to another option at forward. CD repeatedly missed the target from feet away.

• Brad Knighton looked like the real thing last night.

• Very impressed with some of DF's vision and passing.

• Jeremy Hall also brought his game - best I've seen him play in any shirt.

• Farrell is, IMO, one of the top 3 most important Rev players right now.

• NYCFC is still a year away from being a problem, and I still don't think they thought through their selection of DP's very well. Their contingent of Spaniards is impressive, though.

pwykes, dncm, Soccer Doc and 1 other person repped this.
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I especially liked the "You're Not Singing Over There!"

Farrell was my Man of the Match. He looked a little lost at the beginning of the year, but he has really taken to his CB role. Saturday night he reminded me of JoGo circa 2013. One play where he cleanly took the ball from Villa really stood out. Diego and Lee both had great games, too.

BK had a good game, but the 4 consecutive goal kicks into the stands really irked me.

Offense looked good, but should have had more than one goal to show for it. Several good chances, and a few where they passed the ball too many times.

Was it just me, or did it look like Bill Belichick and Rex Ryan were coaching this game? I've never seen that many bear-hug tackles (on both sides) in a soccer game before.

The losing streak is over, "Africa" has it's mojo back, so I'm gonna enjoy this one for a few days.

3. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Villa was taken out of the game pretty effectively. Not just Farrell, but Woodberry ate his lunch several times. Not sure if it was us stepping up our game, or him just going through the motions.

I thought Kobayashi really stood out as a difference maker on both sides of the pitch.

BK's distribution was poor across the board, not just GK's. The rest of his game was solid, however.

The red reminded me a lot of Tierney's from several weeks ago: "Oh crap how'd I get my boot that high on his leg?" Contact, but no real force. Grabavoy didn't seem to protest much.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats exactly what i thought of when I saw it. Ned has never been a dirty player. I am sure there was no intent but it is what it is

5. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The You're not singing over there, fairly closely by There's no Lampard over there (I think?) confused those of us at midfield who try to discern some of the songs.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't ever complain about getting 3 points, but we really needed to finish better. This could/should have been 3 or 4-0. An opponent with a better defense won't give us those kinds of opportunities and we need to punish teams that do. As it is, there was a late chance that (with our recent luck) could have been the equalizer, which would have really, really sucked.

As someone said, the next stretch of games comes against some very beatable teams and we absolutely must get significant points, like a 3-1-1 in the next 5 or something. Of course that will only bring us to a .500 record, so we really will need Jones to lead us on a 15-game unbeaten streak again if we're going to make noise. We'be played more games than anyone else (same as DC), so those lost points will really come back to haunt us.

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    And so, the excuses begin. ;)

Congrats! You must be on top of the world - when you can keep your eyes open.
    Agreed, that shouldn't have had to be a nail-biter. But, it's something to build on.
    Yeah, pretty annoying - all while be herded around like cattle. And, do they really have to usher everyone back out through the tunnel so we miss the first few minutes of the game?

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only plus, it was fun to see some of the people that have been around for a while. I generally only see those in the Fort, or those that tailgate with the Riders, so it was nice catching up with some familiar faces. Don't think I was able to find you though?

10. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks! :) appreciated. Yeah sleep is kind of a luxury at the moment. I remember when Matt Reis and his wife had their 2nd or 3rd child during the season 5 or 6 years ago and he looked exhausted during a subsequent match, shortly after. I didn't fully appreciate his (and all parents') sleep deprivation until the past week or so.

BERich and patfan1 repped this.
  11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you think your having trouble sleeping now, wait till this little bundle of joy becomes a teenager :eek:
    Congratulations :)

BERich, NFLPatriot, patfan1 and 2 others repped this.
  12. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    was finally able to watch the condensed version of this game. how it wasn't 4-0 is beyond me. Davies should have had a hattrick.
    Diego played fantastically well including on defense. Great game, when he plays like that, he's so fun to watch.
    After our first clean sheet, can we afford to change the defense to bring JoGo back in? JoGo and Farrell simply don't work all that well together. With Woodberry next to Farrell, Farrell knows that he's the leader and can take charge. I think that suits us better.

13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Not to pile on, but even the line to get your award was painfully slow based on how many people they had working and their format. Then suddenly, they added some people and changed the format and the line went quicker.

When they told me to go down next to Sec 113 I got to the bottom and asked how we get to the Revs end as I also did not want to watch NY warmup. The guard said I had to walk around the stadium and go down in the opposite corner. So we walked back up to concourse, boogied over there and was able to walk down and be right behind the Revs goal.

Now, what we missed was the walk and getting on jumbotron - but I didn't care. Then when you guys showed up at Revs side, we showed the guard our wristbands and came out for the player intros.

So, I agree - it wasn't the best as I think they were highlighting the walk through the stadium - but they could have done it starting at the Revs end somehow.

patfan1 and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think it may have been a pretty cool idea to get you all on the field depending on the amount of people and have some of the guys that did not make the bench available to kick the ball around with you

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    We got there a little late and were stuck at the end where they kept trying to cram more of us in. :thumbsdown:

16. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States