P/I/P: Revs vs IMFC, Sat Sept 9, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by A Casual Fan, Sep 8, 2017.

1. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Jeff L's preview of the match:
    https://www.revolutionsoccer.net/po...impact-another-eastern-conference-six-pointer

IMFC's preview of the Revs:
    https://www.impactmontreal.com/en/post/2017/09/06/10-things-new-england-revolution

All things #IMFC:
    https://twitter.com/search?q=#imfc

I always want a win for our Revs, but the team is at a tipping point - any additional wins will only serve to further obscure (from the broader ticket-buying fan base) the issues many here have seen and discussed for a while.

That obscurity sustains the inertia-based organizational equilibrium that is in place now. If obscurity reigns, then we can expect another year (or even more) of the same sort up-and-down slog. I'm not looking forward to that - I think many here are more than ready for a change.

In that sense, I suspect that a win is not the best outcome when looking at the bigger picture of what needs to happen. A few more losses might (might) serve to tip the team far enough such that equilibrium is disturbed enough that even Krafts feel impelled to act. (Might...)

That being said, back to the near term "small" picture - Allez Les Revs!

TOAzer, CynicRev, BERich and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To quote that great 20th century philosopher, Robert A. Heinlein, "never underestimate human stupidity." I'd guess that 1/3 to 1/2 of the Revs ticket buying fan base hasn't much of a clue about where the Revs are in the standings.

TOAzer and pwykes repped this.
  3. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect the Revs are not done screwing with us yet. We'll win this, and may even pick up enough road points to give us hope. Then the final collapse will happen.

TOAzer repped this.
  4. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough being a Revs fan. We find ourselves hoping they'll lose because it's the only way we might win more often next year. To that end, I'll quote another great late 20th century philosopher, Tony Soprano: "Whaddayagonnado?"

5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight we'll see if the last game was actually anything or just a good result against an even poorer team. It's been long enough that the new guy should play more that 5 minutes. Lets see what he's got

Be good to see the football lines again. Hope they dont jinx the Revs as they did with the Pats

6. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Tierney captain. Not Lee. Tierney... the guy benched for most the season.

Conspiracy theory. Lee playing like someone in the shop window.

Farrell doesn't start.

TOAzer repped this.
  7. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was actually a fun game to watch, which can't always be said of the Revs. And the Revs just don't lose much at home. For a team on the brink like Montreal, they couldn't have been looking forward to this date.

BTW, did the Revs have a single corner kick this game?

dncm repped this.
  8. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall, I thought we did quite well. Only one brief period that they threatened while we seemed dangers far more often. Nice jobs in getting the football lines off the field too. Does our field get more narrow once football starts? It seemed that way to me

My one comment for a change here will be this.... I want to see more Nemeth than 10 minutes and less Kamara. I really think Kamara is holding this team back at this point. He is getting way too involved in bringing the ball up and is not where he should be when that is happening. I dont want to see Kamara handling the ball unless he's shooting. He's not a good dribbler and not a good passer either. Do what yur paid for... be a target forward and let others bring the ball up the field.

Nemeth - two short appearances, two good results. He looks very dangerous... maybe another Lee on the ball. I want to see him up top and not Kamara. I think he can be something from the few minutes we're see him.

Heaps now has the problem of too many players for the forward positions. Everybody can't play 90 minutes. I think he has to get it thru some of their heads that he intends to spread minutes around to help us keep our tempo up. We're far better when we do the short, fast passes then when we resort to long lobs in the goal area. If it were me, I'd try to move Kamara in the off season. He doesnt fit my short, fast pass model and is screwing it up by trying to be involved

a517dogg and dncm repped this.
  9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Must win, did win. Still, fire Heaps. Montreal didn't look very good, and while we took advantage of their mistakes, we never really created our own chances. I wish we weren't so dependent on the other team being crap. A failure of the brain trust, imo. All too often, our "creative" moves failed with attackers on different pages or making low percentage moves on Impact defenders. Without an "on" Rowe or Diego, we just sort of lumber into the defense. Sometimes that works out and the bounces go our way, like they did last night. But it's never going to take us much past the lowest tier of the playoffs.

If Heaps is still the one dealing with this problem in the offseason, it's not our biggest problem.

firstshirt, patfan1 and TOAzer repped this.
  10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    For as critical as I have been of Heaps, he did not put Farrell on Left Back - instead started Tierney which was a good move to me.

But Tierney as captain was just so interesting to me. Heaps youth soccer, spread it around approach?

Or suddenly now Heaps believes in Tierney with 2/3 of the season gone? I wish we actually had some reporters that didn't do fluff pieces.

Otherwise the team played well, minus Kamara in my opinion. Sure we got lucky when Montreal did not score the sitter to go up 1-0.

But I was happy with how the Revs played and they definitely frustrated Montreal. And they got a needed 3 points. That was well done.

Going to Atlanta on Wednesday will be a whole new ballgame. And Orlando is 1 point behind us.

11. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMO there is a significant story there/I do think Tierneys leadership qualities and his play are prized by Heaps and with him not playing and not on the injury list--
    there must be something else they just don't want to talk about. I can think of a few realistic possibilities but prefer not to speculate

TOAzer and dncm repped this.
  12. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too many forwards? Heaps should go super old school and line the team up in a 2-4-4.