P/I/P: Revs @ RBNY, 8/28

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    And central defense :(

2. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd love to know how Kljestan avoided a yellow for diving. Four flops, all signaled as non-fouls by the ref (correctly). Isn't there a persistent infringement rule for flopping?:eek:

3. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    one thing that kinda pissed me off was when BWP was subbed off. Koffie was joking and laughing with BWP as he left the field. I noticed earlier in the game he was also pretty relaxed with his defending. Your team is for the most part a doormat but you have a good time with your buddy.

pwykes and dncm repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They aren't professionals. Most of the revs players have quit mentally and don't give a shit anymore. After all, their job isn't in jeopardy.

dncm repped this.
  5. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected far worse starting that team. Bunbury is USELESS. Juan looked like something as did Diego. Oh well over to the fire Heaps thread

6. Magira

Magira New Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Newark, VT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This isn't the players fault as much as the Revs currently being a team that lack strong leadership from the top down. You can have a bunch of good mLS quality players players but if they aren't properly coached and lead they can be beaten by a good college team. This team has quit on Heaps and I don't think there is any way he can get them back. When I was an Inspector General I say this phenomena a number of time and the only resolution possible was to change the personnel in Command. Sorry Jay. ---and BTW, take Blooter with you.

I don't know what you all have done but I have been sending feedback to Reve management strongly suggesting they make the essential changes we all know are necessary before this gets even uglier.

patfan1, NFLPatriot and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I'm mainly tuning into these games just to see how long this trainwreck can last. While it is depressing, I'm happy Knighton is now getting a few good looks, and seems to be doing well enough to hold onto the next few starts.

RevsLiverpool and Feldspar repped this.
  8. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We need relegation. Otherwise any team could become a tin can w no consequences. Revs were a once proud n feared team. They need a lil kick in DA pants.

revolution1776 and a517dogg repped this.
  9. Reverton

Reverton New Member

Aug 28, 2016
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    #59 Reverton, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    I'd like to see:

Kamara
    Fagundez Nguyen Agudelo
    Caldwell Koffie
    Tierney Goncalves Watson Farrell
    Knighton

If we're not going to play defense, we may as well try to score.

10. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bunbury has been useless for as long as he has been a Rev, that is why we keep him I guess. We might as well re-sign Khano Smith again as he would be just a useful.

pwykes repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Khano had 8 goals in 85 appearances.
    Teal has 9 goals in 76 appearances but is sold to us as a "striker" while Khano was a winger.

Not that different actually in terms of production.

12. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The sad thing is these games just aren't entertaining anymore. My brother visited yesterday while my son was napping and my wife insisted on watching the game on the only TV we currently have. My brother's a Revs fan too so normally that's fine, but the game was such a drag. I would have vastly preferred to have put the WWE Network on and caught up on my wrestling backlog with him, compared to yet another comatose performance from this team.

13. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I dunno man, your wife insists on watching games? That's a pretty damn good spot to be in.

But other than that I agree. I dropped cable this year and the few games I've streamed have not exactly left me seeking ways to watch more often.

a517dogg repped this.
  14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    An early quality chance stood out for me: Bunbury receives a pass at the 18 with time and space, traps it verrrrrry slowly and deliberately [and still quite sloppily] and then fires into the onrushing defenders shins. He's got to know, even before receiving that pass, that you have about 1/2 a second to settle and shoot, yet he's so slow and deliberate there's no way he's got a chance at an open shot. :mad:

Farrell with the blunder, losing the ball in his own end [again]. You'd think he'd be wary of that, having made the same mistake earlier. But, more unconscionable was Goncalves. We know he's capable of so much better - what in the world was he thinking - taking an extra touch in a crowded box? Its just completely unacceptable for a veteran with his experience.

Agree that Agudelo was one of the few standouts - why in the world did he not start?

Nguyen is looking more active, but still not more effective. Looking more like someone named "Gwynn" [eh, Alejandro?].

I hear people picking on Rowe, but I thought he was clearly among our better players. Still, his shot from the half-line was laughably pathetic.

Overall, we didn't play awful - we played just well enough (or badly enough) to lose. As Moreno said throughout the 2nd half, there were chances there for the Revs - but they didn't or couldn't take them.

15. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I did not see the game and from the sounds of it I don't think it is worth watching.

Did Heaps use a formation similar to the one used Wednesday or did he revert back to the single striker?

16. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game and am not sure. It was announced as a 4-2-3-1 and felt like it most of the time, but the announcers seemed convinced that it was two strikers (Teal as second, I guess).

17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We had the possibility of stealing a result, but the difference in quality eventually emerged. We're down a goal on the road with 10 minutes to go, and KOBAYASHI IS OUR LAST SUB? The whole edifice is rotten from talent acquisition down to game management.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Down a goal, Daigo is our last sub, that's all you need to know.

5 league games in August. 1 goal scored. 1 point gained. 11 goals given up.

Another failure by the Revs FO. Amazing.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, no depth the coaches are willing to play at least.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bolding mine, this is a joke by the revs coaches. Playing Teal Bunbury at striker should be a fireable offense.

21. CottageRev

CottageRev Member+

Jun 13, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yes, I am very lucky to have my wife in a lot of ways - she was the one who introduced me to MLS in the first place.

However, we've got a 1-year old who obviously needs our complete attention when he's awake, and we're sticking hard and fast to the "no extended TV until he's at least two" rule. That means my free time/entertainment time is pretty limited and precious. I have a massive backlog of TV/movies to watch (we saw basically none of the previous TV season live), an XBox One with an equally large game backlog that's touched maybe once a week if I'm lucky, and a book I'm writing that gets addressed rarely - often during my "lunch break" (*wink wink*) at work.

I'd rather not use two hours of it watching the Revs attackers putter around with the ball and refuse to shoot at the goal, and then watch their defense (looking at you specifically JoGo) act like traffic pylons. These games have been absolutely brutal to watch. At least when the Revs were bad from 2010 - 2012, they were bad in an entertaining, MST3K sort of way. The 2016 Revs are just bad and boring, outside of the occasional flash from Kamara since he's gotten here.

a517dogg, Doublecard, ToMhIlL and 2 others repped this.
  22. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're in the same boat man. I have a 13 month old who never stops moving. Fitting in a Liverpool match for my 2 hours of soccer is a priority and counts as my week's worth of entertainment. The revs are more of a "nice to have when there's time". Other sports are purely a bonus and never, ever watched in full (unless he's sleeping but that's temporary). Anyway, I hear ya.

a517dogg repped this.
  23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Congrats on the kids, guys! Priorities are tough as a new parent, but sounds like you've both got it right! 25 years from now, you'll look back and wonder: a) where did the time go? b) why was I so stressed that I didn't realize what a wonderful part of life I was living!

ktsd, RevsLiverpool and BERich repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Don't get me wrong, I'm equally unexcited seeing Daigo sub in when we're down, but ...

... this wasn't a man-for-man swap, it was a midfielder for a defender - essentially a move from a 4-4-2 to a 3-5-2. Daigo actually isn't a bad candidate for that switch, someone who will do the running and is pretty safe with the ball, making it a little less likely that back 3 gets exposed.

Should Heaps have better options on the bench? No doubt about it.

25. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I finally got around to watching this game. I thought the Revs were clearly the better team.

During the hydration breaks, I mean.