P/I/P Revs @ NYRB, Sat 7/21, 7:00pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 20, 2018.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York Red Bulls vs. New England Revolution | 2018 MLS Match Preview
    Dylan Butler
    Jul 19, 2018

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Officials
    Referee: Ismail Elfath
    Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Greeson, Adam Garner
    4th Official: Rosendo Mendoza
    VAR: Jorge Gonzalez

3. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  4. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it when the Revs are this much of an underdog ;)
    My left hreat toe says they will come away with point)s) ;)

5. Doublecard

Doublecard Guest

I'm expecting the summer slump to continue. Will be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong.

6. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    i dont think its a summer slump but rather other teams have improved and we havent

7. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As happens in 8 out of 10 Revolution seasons, there comes a time where one is forced to admit: The roster is in-adequate, the coaching is inadequate, the front office is inept and the ownership is disinterested.

Same shit, different year.

a517dogg, Jon Martin, goussoccer and 4 others repped this.
  8. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This sums it up "spot on" Im done with Anibaba by the way. An Athletic bonehead that will always get beat and give up goals. Also makes good plays but he's too much risk

10. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great defensive header by Teal in the 51st minute.

patfan1 and BrianLBI repped this.
  11. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Now what Brad? You had your best team out there and we still lost. We can't score goals and have few quality chances. You keep Rowe on the bench for much of the game and have little beyond him that can even help. If I was Rowe, I'd be buying a ticket on the Nguyen bus as soon as possible. This team is ruining his career. Even your much acclaimed Zach H. can't seem to find a place on the field...ever. Tell me again how he's better than Lee was. Lee is starting on a better team than the Revs. We're into the transfer season with no help insight (I expect NONE) and we need 5 or 6 players ... maybe more if we got rid of a bunch of very average players were playing with. So what's the plan? 3 losses in a row now, no help on the bench?

Tell me one reason I'd bother to come to a game

TOAzer and CynicRev repped this.
  12. mefster

mefster Member

Jul 31, 2007
    East Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You enjoy watching soccer at the highest US professional level relatively close to home, being out in the fresh air with like-minded people and maybe relatives, being part of a soccer "family" all pulling for the same result, and on any given night you might see a play or outcome that you will remember for the rest of your life? That's why I keep driving to Gillette, just sayin' [oops, I guess that was five reasons]...Corollary: If you are going to be a sports fan, sometimes (or maybe most of the times) your team is going to break your heart. But when they make your heart swell, as they say in the commercial...priceless!

rkupp, a517dogg, teskicks and 2 others repped this.
  13. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 Mike Marshall, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    It seems to me that there are a lot of Heaps Era holdovers that don't bring the kinds of qualities that Friedel is looking for.

This is OK, but Brad's been in charge for eight months now. With this many high-salaried pieces that don't seem to fit, I don't understand why there hasn't been more roster turnover.

At this point, a little urgency would be nice.

TOAzer repped this.
  14. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    For me the answer is simple. You cant cut players unless you have replacements that are as good or better and this team has not shown the ability to sign players with enough talent to make it worth while. Who knows why? low ball offers, bad rep, Burns, turf. For whatever reason, were into another season, starting the move to the bottom of the table again with no help in sight. It was easy to blame Heaps and easy to fire him but now we are no better off with Friedel, even though he's changed a few players.

If Burns really is the problem then Friedel should study the history of this franchise and learn from it. In the end, the coach is sent packing and Burns hangs on. The Kraft's could care less about the team so they're not going to rock the boat. Firing Burns might mean they would have to do something and they aren't interested. So it comes down to Brad or Burns. If Brad wants to hang on here, and not start his coaching career with a failure, he better find a way to get more talent in here and do what ever it takes to make it happen. Otherwise he will follow a string of previous coaches that were made the fall guys for failing to win with substandard talent. It takes money to win in MLS these days and the Revs/Cheap business model cannot work anymore.

We have a few good players but nowhere near enough.

TOAzer repped this.
  15. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel may believe he is a Keeper, but unfortunately for him-and the Revs-- Burns guards the near post.....;)

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With that dismal second half performance, the Revs have now fallen to 7-7-7. Mediocrity at it's finest.

TOAzer repped this.
  17. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the first goal it looks like Farrell and Caicedo lost their marks. Anibaba was alone with two attackers. On the second Anibaba with the matador defense allowing an easy goal for BWP

18. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    NYRB definitely carried the balance of play, unlike the last 2 results this doesn't feel like the revs let one get away. Turner missing the punch on the 1st goal definitely changed the balance of the game, although poor play from the back line created the dangerous free kick in the 1st place. Every game it becomes more clear that the revs not only do not have a bench, but also don't even have enough guys to field an xi if there is even a slight dip in their form. No reserve squad/affiliate certainly only amplifies that problem. Rowe and Nemeth are fine players when they are on their game, but the team visibly regressed after their insertion. When your "offensive" subs not only don't make you more dangerous going forward, but also further expose your already shaky back line you know your team is in trouble. Well, maybe the FO doesn't know but that's a separate problem.

I'm starting to come around a bit on zahibo, although clearly his fitness needs improvement. Bunbury too, even though I dont care for poachers, at least he regularly feels like he is making an impact on the game. Would have liked to have seen him finish on the revs only chance, but I think that was more an example of the keeper making a great save than of incompetence on his part. Diego and Agudelo are also starting to win me over a bit. I still wouldn't mind seeing any one of those 4 positions upgraded, especially because the squad just needs competent depth throughout, but the first 2 (maybe even more) moves this summer need to be to fix the backline. But, because burns isn't going to make any, I guess the team will just continue to fall apart down the stretch

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  19. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel needs to demand an infusion of better talent, or this could be his first and last stint as a head coach. He has to realize that.

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doc, you'd better get that toe checked!

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Friedel will be the manager here for at least the next 3 years, even with a Chivas or 1999 Metros level of disaster. The Krafts simply won't change coaches for the sake of consistency. Both Nicol and Heaps were here 2 full years longer than they should, and it takes forward thinking/strategy, effort and money to make a change, and the Krafts don't want to spend any of those things.

Doublecard and Feldspar repped this.
  22. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I thought we went toe-to-toe with them pretty well, until ... unnecessary foul, poor-marking on the free kick w/ some naivete by Turner and bingo, we're behind and flailing.

23. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Really feels like the revs are a team who fall apart in the final 20 min lately. Not sure how to solve that (beyond the obvious have really players on the bench instead of the card board cutouts brad currently uses)

24. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Montreal's draw in Portland pulled them even on points with the Revs, but the Revs have a game in hand.

The Revs have a bye this week (while several teams have double games). But at least PHI (4 points back) can't catch the Revs for that last playoff spot while they are on bye. PHI is at HOU tomorrow, but off this weekend.