P/I/P: Revs @ NYCFC, Sunday 10/25

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Oct 21, 2015.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know we'd have to have a massive falling out on Sunday to make the playoffs, but I'll admit ... I've barely even thought about this game on Sunday. The last few games have just sucked the energy out of me. We're just not a good team. Mediocre, with some good talent. But lacking depth.

Anyway, "big" game Sunday. So there's that.

2. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When being 6th out of 10 teams constitutes a "successful season," it's really pretty hard to get excited about this.

What I am really hoping for is that Seattle loses and San Jose, Kansas City and Portland all win! In the east, I pretty much hate 'em all, except for the Canadian teams who I don't totally hate. Does that make me a terr-ist if I would rather see the Maple Laffs or Limp Act go through than the MetroFilth, Dog Crap United, or the toothless inbred cow-shaggers?

3. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in seeing who plays, since the Revs will play on Wednesday or Thursday and then again on Saturday or Sunday. The only big advantage is to get a home game at seed #3 and #4, so if towards the end of the game you see that only seed #5/6 is up for grabs, Heaps might elect to protect those guys.

I wonder what kind of line-up NYC will put out on the last game of the season also.

bottom line is the DC/CREW and TOR/MTL games will be bigger than this one

4. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It hadn't even occurred to me, but we get the NE vs. NY double-header! Hopefully both of Krafts franchises are up to the task.
    I don't think anyone considers just making the playoffs a successful season at this point - the bar has been raised on that. But, next week a big tournament starts and it's a lot better to be part of it and have a chance to win than it would be to be starting vacation early.

5. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next off-season will be the judge of that. Let's just say I'm not holding my breath. Unless somehow we don't make it and even Burns realizes he damn well better do something. Otherwise, it's just more "yabbut, if only we didn't have that losing streak, we wooda wonded the Shield" thinking

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best of both worlds for Burns:
    1. Revs make the playoffs on tie-breaker with expansion team - built playoff roster
    2. Revs go one-and-done in playoffs - justifies his failure to re-sign Jones this coming winter.

TheLostUniversity and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big game. The field, not so much.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. snootie

snootie Member

Dec 9, 2007
    LET JONES GO! He's getting long in the tooth and his teammates will not miss him :)

Brian Gockley and BUSA Bulldog repped this.
  10. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This just dawned on me as I was looking at the standings; we have an 8 goal advantage in GD. Everybody knows that; but did you know that we don't have to lose by 8 goals. We could lose 4 - 0 and Orlando could win 5 - 0 and we're out of the playoffs!!!
    I had in my feeble mind that we needed to lose by 8; not going to happen. But lose by 4, that's possible; Orlando win by 5, that's also possible. I don't believe that that scenario will happen, but it's not a zero possibility; probably more like 2 to 3 % probability. I just ruined my lunch! :eek:

11. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think that's actually good news. This team has no business making the playoffs if they lose 4-0 on Sunday

Achowat and Minuteman repped this.
  12. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But if that happens and Orlando only win 4-0, we're in and Burns will call it a "success."

TheLostUniversity repped this.
  13. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fortunately, all PHI has to do is lose or draw to ORL to lock up the number 2 pick in the SuperDraft. Losing by 5 doesn't gain them anything...

14. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think Burns is anywhere as removed from reality as you seem to think he is (or like to pretend). He knew (and said) last year that he needed to bring in some players. Obviously he wasn't able to do it, but making or not making the playoffs isn't going to change that one way or the other.

FWIW, there have already been more rumors involving the Revs than there were at any point last year, so I think it is pretty well known they are hungry to make some additions.

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? Like who? Seriously, you'd think that this would be the place where rumors would be discussed, since this crowd has been starved of any significant news regarding new players we might get, no matter how remote the chances are.

Kinda like the Stadium thread. Any time someone pulls a public records doc that says someone associated with the Kraft Group spoke with any public official, it generates pages and pages of discussion...

16. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's two straight years that this has happened, with Burns comments. So I really don't care where he is in comparison with reality. He's just failing.

17. Minuteman

Minuteman Member

Oct 16, 2003
    Abington, MA
    Just remember: Fire burns.

Soccer Doc and TheLostUniversity repped this.
  18. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    OTOH --- we win by 3 goals, Toronto and Montreal tie, the Crew tie or lose and we jump up to 3rd!!! :):);)

19. Brian Gockley

Brian Gockley Member

May 20, 2004
    Lewisburg PA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is he our next Shalrie?

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rumors? Who?

21. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, those rumors don't seem to be rumoring very far...

22. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 more goals to go, what a shame Bunbury wasn't available last week...

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What rumors?

24. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I've searched the Interwebs and the only thing I've turned up is USL defender Josh Phillips training with the Revs. He'd more likely be a candidate to play with Rochester than the Revs.

On a separate note, Heaps set them up to play a more direct game on that skinny field. Worked well. Helps that the NYCFC back line is a shambles.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  25. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I checked the Bent Musket's transfers page. - a reliable source of trialist and potential signings. Zak Whitbread trialed in early Sept then opted for England 3rd division primarily (it sounds like, from his quote) for family reasons since he just had a son. Can't fault him or the revs there.

The most recent trialist is Josh Philips, a USL defender who was reported to be trialing with the revs in mid October. That's 2 "rumors", both American defenders, only one is still available. Defensive depth is hardly what I'd consider exciting or noteworthy additions when I look around the league and see the likes of Drogba, Lampard, Gerrard or Kaka. Please produce some evidence it's "pretty well known they are hungry to make some additions." I don't see it (and I'm not alone).

goussoccer repped this.