P/I/P Revs @ NYC FC, 9/5/2018, 7:00pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by firstshirt, Sep 4, 2018.

1. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Next up, NYC FC with their 10-0-4 home record. Won't put NE away record because we all know its bad. What will Brad's excuses be after the game? NE is now in 8th place being passed by Wayne Rooney United

2. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could see us tying here. NYCFC has been a bit shaky lately, and we should lose, so defying expectations feels possible. I wouldn’t expect a win, but a draw? Maybe.

TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Excuses? Brad's excuses are typically that his team wasn't good enough, made too many mistakes, failed to do the things they worked on in practice, that the coaches and players weren't good enough, etc., etc. He's pretty big on accountability. I don't hear him making excuses.

Soccer Doc repped this.
  4. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Oddly enough, I'm not as scared of NYC as other people are, even on the road. The revs also play on a relatively narrow pitch so I expect goals from both ides and an end to end match. Expect Rowe to have a good game, he always does against those guys.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that after they lose to NYC, they will have ten days to rest up for the trip to LAFC...

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Playing at yankee stadium might be the only bigger joke than playing at gilette. At least the revs will have that going for them.

7. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs are 0W-2T-1L on Wednesdays this year.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That part about the coaches not being good enough? Strangely, I haven't heard that. The players lacking skill, intelligence, caring, character? Yeah, that I've heard. The players being behind the famous Herivaux Line? Yeah, that I've heard. The players not executing set pieces? Yeah, that I've heard. The players need to play for their contract? Yeah, that I've heard..............
    But Brad telling us about how Brad hasn't been good enough? No, not a freakin' peep.

firstshirt and rkane1226 repped this.
  10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    NYC will be missing some key players due to international break.

Friedel is towing a very dangerous line - he has to motivate and some of his public comments are being picked up and commented on by national media - especially the "we are learning what has been going on over the last couple of years".

Remember - we drew against Portalnd B Team - they rested 7 starters and then the starting goalkeeper went out injured. We are now going to play the NYC B team. On the worst looking optical illusion of a field.

I will reserve judgement until the LAFC game in 2 weeks.

11. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    If you listen to when he said "the players need to play for their contracts" the next sentence out of his mouth was "the coaches are coaching for their contracts"

dncm repped this.
  12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I strongly suspect that at lease one LAFC player will be highly motivated to show well during this game.

13. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has been a long summer swoon. I feel like I’ve heard a lot of halftime and post game BF interviews which have focused on the players. The comment you cited seems rare (maybe the only one where he has expressed that the coaches could be part of the problem). But at least he addressed it this time.

14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's rare because that's the one and only times he's ever referenced the coaching staff in context of accountability.

dncm repped this.
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    This will be interesting to see what Friedel does with Fagundez tonight, given what he said about Fagundez's last game.

The back 5 pick themselves - especially with Somi away on Int Duty (even though he has been banished anyway).

Teal starts up top. Caldwell and Penilla definite, right? No Caicedo.

That leaves 3 midfield spots between Fagundez, Rowe, Zahibo, Agudelo. No Anking and Herivaux with Intl duty too.

He says he wants to press them like crazy.

16. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Yes, he's said that.
    On that small and congested field, it's pretty much always that way.

17. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Machado is also in the conversation in the midfield. Segbers is still on loan, but maybe its Femi time?

dncm repped this.
  18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Segbers has been back for a bit.

19. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New York City FC vs. New England Revolution | 2018 MLS Match Preview
    September 3, 2018, 5:42PM EDT
    Dylan Butler

20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Great point - definitely sad that I had forgotten all about him...

21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can almost guarantee Rowe starts. He's been good against NYC and can be used to press them.

22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    He played orange county's last game in august, and i havent seen an announcement that he has returned yet

23. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would have been reassuring if he had said "I am coaching for my contract". The assistants, yeah, they'd better be on their toes with ol' Friedel.

24. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Feldman: Interesting tonight, Paul, is that Mike Lapper doesn’t seem to be on the bench
    Mariner: Yes Brad, I wonder where he could be. I’m betting he is off scouting a future opponent
    Feldman: Lets go to our Reporter on the field to see what’s up there.
    ROF (I forget name): Paul, Brad, coach Friedel was very tight lipped when we asked him why Mike was missing from the bench. All he said was, « Mikes a professional and he coaches very very hard in practice. Everyone is competing for a spot. »

Later that night on Instagram: Photos of Somi, Dielna and Lapper having dinner together in Boston.

a517dogg and TOAzer repped this.
  25. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Wow - no Bunbury - Wright starts, Bunbury not on bench and not on injury report. I thought it looked like Bunbury tweaked his hamstring against Portland, so hoping that is not bad news.

Fagundez and Turner both sent to bench - clearly based on the coach's displeasure in both their play last week. Machado and Knighton in.

Rowe, Caldwell, Penilla, and Zahibo round out.