P/I/P Revs @ Louisville FC (6/5)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Sachem07, Jun 4, 2018.

1. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Embarrassing, no excuses for the lack of effort. I guess we'll focus on the MLS cup now? Or however else they'll spin it

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eh it's the USOC who cares? Just fewer chances for our bottom of the roster guys to get minutes now.

3. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    What really pisses me off is that at the beginning of the telecast, the announcers were talking about all the injuries that Louisville was dealing with. Then we go out and lose to them ....unacceptable.

4. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Youre talking about a player ahead of Lee there

Congrats Friedel....a new low. Heck of a team you've built here. We really are BAD. The two goals we scored were basically scored by them

TOAzer repped this.
  5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a pick up lineup, and a harsh lesson for BF that he should have known - lower division clubs live for knocking out the big dogs in cup competitions. Couple this with the fact that Somi is too damn slow, Zahibo and Caldwell each need Caicedo, not each other and the inability of any attacking players to play together, we got what we deserved.

6. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    Great clock management by the Revs. Both Wright and Femi rolling around with cramps and then they get into a scrum in injury time after a cheap foul (I think but feed was terrible) by Aguedelo

Maybe they thought they were ahead?

7. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's been a cute meme for a while, but Herivaux's minutes in MLS don't bear that out.

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Players tonight who can leave with their head up:
    Knight- all 3 goals were pretty good looks, would have been nice to get a stop but his defense did him no favors
    Farrell- brought a lot of effot playing on his old turf. Wasnt as good once they went to a back 3, but acquitted himself well as a CB
    Bye- did well going forward in the first half. Was not great tracking back everytime, and got roasted on the 1st goal but showed good vision and decision making in the offensive half
    Segbers- Did ok for his 1st time in a professional kit. He asked questions of the defense and worked hard to leave a mark on the game

Players who were awful:
    Somi - what does he actually do on the field? He feels like the Rev's version of Jorge Villafana
    Wright - He needs to do more on a breakaway against 2nd division talent
    Zahibo - For such a big strong guy who moves he seems to disappear on the pitch for large stretches of the game. Not a destroyer at DM or creative enough to play the 8
    Herivaux- see Zahibo. Just what does he do?

9. mrt/MLS

mrt/MLS Member

Oct 11, 2003
    CT
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd include Femi in that list as well. Not much in combination play, and overcooked crosses.

Somi, when he looks half decent, is the beneficiary of our high press, and the ball winning qualities and combination play of Caicedo, Penilla, Diego, Agudelo and, to a lesser degree, Caldwell. Last night's cast of characters had none of that, and Somi flat out lacks the speed to recover when the press is routinely beaten

Similarly. Zahibo seems most effective sitting behind our normal attackers and CMs, making effective use of the space they create, and cleaning up when the press breaks down. Last night he had too much to do and it showed.

a517dogg repped this.
  11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs had 60% of the possession, yet were out-shot 15-9. Shots on goal was 7 to 4 in favor if Louisville.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well I tuned into the stream last night (until I fell asleep) and thought we looked terrible. How Friedel thought he could roll out that group and hope for a result is beyond me. If he's not furious at the lack of effort, he should be. Our defense, with the exception of Farrell, was a joke and was shredded. We have no offense, with any group playing. Cross and pray is about it. One own goal and the other a defensive give away... that was our attack. Tell Somi to miss the bus...cut him ASAP
    So how much longer will people continue to stand behind Friedel? Other than big talk, he's really not much better than Heaps at this point (pointed out in earlier thread). We need a bunch of real players... a bunch. Starting with someone that can create. Will Burns deliver enough talent to make us competitive? Doubtful... he never has. That costs money and people don't want to deal with Burns. The whole FO needs a face lift, starting with Burns. If he can't deliver players and if agents don't want to talk to him, then he has to go. I'm not a big Friedel fan but to be fair, nobody can "make chicken soup out of chicken s**t" and that's what he's being asked to do. At some point, Friedel needs to realize that his survival depends on results and that means he has to build a stronger team. Burns has meant the death of Nicol, and Heaps and Friedel will be a third unless Friedel fights and pushes for the players we need. We're not even close right now

13. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I understand wanting to give players a rest but if you are really interested in winning you can't throw a lineup like that out there. I honestly think BF underestimated his opponent. That or he really wanted to be done with the Open Cup. This was not good

NFLPatriot repped this.
  14. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good point. Louisville are the defending USL champs and the end of the Revs bench (Segbers, Samoya, Femi, especially Femi) are pretty much USL quality, which makes the match more even than it should be.
    I can understand resting a bunch of the starters, but in hindsight he should have gone with his starters on defense and probably given Aguedelo and/or Rowe (both of whom would have benefited from a good 60 minutes) a start.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    - losing Samayoa hurt, because it forced Friedel to burn a sub early - for a defender. In games like this you want to be able to bring on your starting-level attackers in the 2nd half if you need them. This injury prevented Fagundez/Nemeth/Bunbury from coming on for the last 20+ minutes to get on the end of Rowe's crosses.

- the Revs really stunk. They were fortunate to be tied at half-time, seriously outplayed and beneficiaries of a gift goal (I think the 2nd was earned, even if it did go down as an OG).

- I'm sure many won't accept it, but going from playing in 40's 50's and 60's degree temps to hot and humid in the 80's is incredibly difficult. The Revs were slower to ball all night long and I don't think you can put it down to lack of effort - most of those guys have been waiting a long time to show what they can do in a real game situation.

- Likewise the transition for a perfectly smooth artificial surface to a bumpy, patchy grass field seemed to be-devil them as well.

- The BIGGEST takeaway from this IMO is that we desperately need a league for our reserves to play in. Our lineup looked like a bunch that had never played together - which, pretty likely, they hadn't.

16. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I like that Friedel voiced his disgust with the players' effort after the game. He didn't make any excuses, even said LouCity deserved the win.

Doublecard repped this.
  17. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MM66 repped this.
  18. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It's the only thing they maybe were going to win this season. I suppose they could make the playoffs, get red hot and take MLS Cup, but that seems like a long shot on a few levels.

a517dogg repped this.
  19. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    This is the 7th time the Revs have been knocked out the USOC by a lower division club.

20. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Based on Friedel's comments after the game, it seemed like he wanted to chuck some players into the deep end and see if they swim. They sank, and now Friedel knows what he has on the back end of his roster. I don't think we'll be seeing much of Femi, Herivaux or Segbers anymore. It's a shame about Herivaux, because IMO he's a natural #6/#8 type player, and putting him in a #10 spot is not putting him in the right spot to succeed.

21. Minutemanii

Minutemanii Member+

Dec 29, 2005
    Abington MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you think about Brian Write? I think he has a future. FWIW

22. BrianLBI

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like him, and not just because he played at UVM. But he's mostly pure athleticism, and I question how suited he is to our style. Happy to see him get substitution appearances.

23. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, we got some questions answered about our depth.

24. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I think Segbers actually showed some stuff last night. He actually looked like he belonged on the field, unlike the majority of the roster the Revs fielded last night. He, along with Caldwell and Wright, were palatable enough to see time as reserves going forward.

Somi was actually able to get minutes last year for a team that advanced to the knockout stages of the Europa league, which is an absolute stunner because every game he has dressed for in the MLS has been a flaming pile of dog shit. He wouldn't even start in the USL playing like he is.

25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    #75 A Casual Fan, Jun 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    As always, another clear indication of the need to obtain true top level talent at the high end of the roster, and to push existing players down the ladder.

There's no meaningful "return on investment", nor impact on outcomes, of just shuffling players in and out near the bottom of the roster.

Yet a fair amount of discussion continues to be "how do we fix the lack of quality at the bottom". That is where confusion reigns, year after year -- the real issue is there is not enough true, legitimate quality at the top. Fix that, the issues with the bottom of the roster follow suit.

The day that the Revs can put 2 or 3 "MLS Best 11", or "Best 22", or even Best 33" players on the field at once will be fun to see. (i.e., something along the lines of fielding Twellman, Shalrie, Dempsey, Reis, Ralston etc., all at one time.)

Until then, this team is treading water, hoping and praying every year that they will inexplicably stumble into a desirable outcome despite odds and probabilities strongly aligned to the contrary.

And that's nothing that Friedel can fix on his own. You can only send your top players packing once (they're gone once you do!); you can only send other top/middle players to the bench so many times; and you can only yell at the Herivauxs, Farrells, Somis, Wrights, etc. so many times (and even that doesn't necessarily correct the problems)

...and he's used up a number of those tricks already. And just used up another one of those chances yesterday, calling the reserves out in a big public sort of way.

Not sure how many arrows he has left in his quiver - he has been letting them fly at a good pace so far this season. He's using up his capital quickly, as I see it.

VTSoccerFan repped this.