P / I / P Revs @ Dallas 3/18

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Mar 14, 2017.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

mrt/MLS repped this.
  2. Andy_B

Andy_B Member+

Feb 2, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is is ~ not a - sign. The font sucks.

The guy who runs the twitter said he just estimates from crowd shots if he does not hear any real numbers from the supporters themselves.

3. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, away at Colorado and Dallas, did people really expect that we'd come away with any points?

I thought the Revs actually did okay against Dallas, particularly defensively. Through three-quarters of the game, Dallas was scarcely dangerous. I thought the Delamea-Angoua combo was pretty solid. I'm reasonably confident that when we look back at the end of the season, those will look like good signings to us.

Kouassi was decent, better than I expected.... but Koffie was better. Letting him leave feels like a missed opportunity to me.

The offense wasn't brilliant, and yet I get the feeling that there will be games this season when this exact combination of personnel will be devastingly effective.

Still, the Revs being the Revs, I fully expect that those days when the offense is good, the defense will be bad, and vice versa.

4. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In short, "The Revs are going to fail to make the playoffs in style ! "

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Should have been a straight red - end of story.

First goal, Tierney didn't actually get beaten for speed. He mis-judged a long-ball directly over head. Maybe it's a nit, but he's spent virtually all of his career defending faster players.

Second goal, I think that's a "welcome-to-MLS" moment for Angoua. He was clearly pushed aside and obviously expected a call from the ref. It's a hard way to get the lesson that defenders can't count on protection from the officials like they can in most leagues.

I think we played a pretty good game vs. an extremely talented team. But, what happened was what typically happens when you attempt to sit on a lead for 80 minutes - you get worn-out defending and leave yourself open to some bad-breaks/bad-luck (since the ball is always in your end).

The Revs didn't get a point or three because they couldn't continue to threaten after they got their early lead - not because the defense failed, IMO.

rkane1226 repped this.
  6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Continue to threaten implies tey had threatened at some point previously. Apart from 1 or 2 attempts on goal they did nothing offensively.

rkane1226 and NFLPatriot repped this.
  7. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    As you say, a few attempts. But, after getting a lead, we rarely even held the ball very long, particularly in the attacking half. That allowed Dallas to completely control the game.

----

Wanted to add to my overview: after Dallas went to their bench, they totally changed the game and the Revs had no [effective] response.

8. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno, but it always seems that whenever the Heaps-era Revs get an early lead, they stop playing the way that got them that lead. They don't continue to push for another goal. They fold back and absob the other team's attacks, which always come because--wait for it--they are behind a goal.

As Rocky used to say to Bullwinkle every time he tried to pull a rabbit out of his hat, "But that trick never works!"

NFLPatriot repped this.