P / I P Revs @ Cbus 6/24

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsLiverpool, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FWIW, he did mention last night that our prior game against Columbus they were in the midst of a multiple games in two weeks situation.

That said, Brad and Revs (if you're using this as an excuse), carry on and man up, dammit.

2. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't surprise me if that happens. A win this weekend (unconvincingly) would be possibly the worst thing that could happen to this team. It would provide false hope to the FO that this team is "fine as is" and "getting JJ back will be enough to make the playoffs". That will be a dangerous philosophy to embrace - especially if anyone else goes down to injury.

I'd rather them keep losing consistently so the problem becomes more obvious and the owners buy us another Jermaine Jones during the window (hey, it worked last year).

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The next time my boss sends me to the west coast, I'm going to complain about the cross-country travel and "meeting congestion."

Oh wait, I'm not a pro athlete. Nevermind. :D

4. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For me, the big issue yesterday was the that the passing was horrendous. Its either, players with "heavy legs", non-starters not being on the same page, or we the players just suck. The Revs couldn't keep possession, and it killed whatever chance they may have had.

All in all, the game was a huge waste. Not really enough rest for the starters, Dorman out for Saturday

5. orangebook

orangebook Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Boston-ish
    Club:
    New England Revolution

What would bother me is if Bilello uses this as an excuse for another loss.

6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm bringing 7 first-timers to the game. That pretty much guarantees a 0-0 draw...

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    great minds think alike!

NFLPatriot repped this.
  8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One player (jones) should not make that big of an impact on any team. Unfortunately for the Revs that seems to be the case. Its like this team lost its way because Jones is not on the field to kick their asses if they screw up.

9. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've heard rumors that the players respect him more than Heaps, and sometimes you can see it on the field because they certainly do listen to Jones.

dncm, RevsLiverpool and NFLPatriot repped this.
  10. Crooked

Crooked Member+

May 1, 2005
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    That's somewhat to be expected in this league. You'd expect that most young players would have more respect for a world class player like Henry rather than their coach who was a career MLS player (Petke).

It's not great, but it's the state the league is currently in. The biggest star players are far bigger than their managers, and often times their also bigger than the rules/discipline from the league.

11. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was weak sauce all the way around. I love how Heaps said at halftime, when Mariner commented that the passing was a bit off, that "both teams are off, but we are playing our second game in 2 days." Nothing like making your excuses in advance because we all could see what was going to happen.

And Bilello blaming the ref, that is really weak. Hey Brian, your team is in a slump, because your GM was not able to bring in adequate rank-and-file players during the off-season who can provide depth for exactly these kinds of games, and your coach has no clue on how to manage substitutes and lineups based on the flow of the game. But it's the ref's fault, huh? And you put it out on Twitter?

At least when Jonathan Kraft called the MetroStars "a bunch of thugs" it was verbal, behind the scenes and less than 5 minutes after the end of a frustrating game, something we all were thinking. He didn't post it on Twitter, saying he's "never done anything like this before."

Where's the accountability, Brian?

12. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Minnow mentality...we always make excuses

13. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am convinced this team will continue to tread water until Jermaine Jones comes back. We are totally mediocre without him and a true contender with him. We can only hope that we are still in contention when he is ready to return.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  14. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    any professional league. Lebron James/David Blatt, anyone?

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I as wondering if they were playing some kind of zone in the box, since I frequently see opponents take headers with one defender on each side of them, about 5 feet away.

Maybe Jay will start addressing this after he figures out some more ways to squander corner kicks. He needs to get past that pesky "we should try *this*, it worked when I was playing youth soccer in western Mass" phase he's in.

16. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Sure, but when he comes back he'll still be spending much of his time providing cover in central defense, since we don't seem to have much interested in having any backups at that spot on the roster.

17. RoyNJ

RoyNJ Member

Sep 23, 2000
    Las Vegas, NV
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is very true. Management was foolish to pass up on Parkhurst when we had a chance to get him back. Now that Soares is gone we don't have a good situation anymore. Farrell was much more dangerous in an attacking role at right back, we have totally lost that now.

18. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parkhurst wasn't coming back.

19. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Was just able to watch the game. Shouldn't have bothered.
    Higuain could have been red carded in the 42nd for kicking Kobayashi in the chest after Kobayashi's foul on him. Crew lucky there.
    Revs asleep on first goal, got to mark Kamara
    Finlay assist wasn't a handball and besides it doesn't matter, still need to mark Kamara
    74th minute, Goncalves has ice in his veins...
    I actually liked heaps' subs. Agudelo had a nothing half, someone needs to light a fire under his ass. Caldwell hasn't been as defensively sound lately with his additional offensive forays. In his position he needs to take care of defense first. Higuain found a lot of space all game.
    Crew were winless since May 9th. We're the new slump busters...
    And by the way, somebody should mark Kamara.

ktsd and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    Neither is Soares or Barnes. at least this year. It would be great if the team would hire someone to try and address this, as well as similar situations when they occur in the future.

21. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Soooooo. What exactly are you trying to say?

22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I'm saying that, if Jay Heaps used a fancy decision tree management process that he learned at Duke to determine his tactics for the game, and he had as one node in that tree "Should we mark Kamara, Y/N," I think that Heaps probably chose the wrong branch in that tree.

ktsd, RevsLiverpool, NFLPatriot and 2 others repped this.
  23. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But what would Coach K advise him to do? At least Heaps rejected the tip to use a pork chop to comb his hair.

24. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It thankfully wasn't a 0-0 draw. Just curious, what did your first-timers think of the revs / MLS?

25. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Despite the light rain (which wasn't bad at all), my father-in-law had a great time. The rest of the group was mixed, but overall I think they enjoyed it. This was a Father's Day gift from my wife and her brothers to their dad. My nephew, age 8, seemed to enjoy being able to yell at the refs without repercussion. :) By the end of the game he sounded like Simon Borg, with every Vancouver foul he would yell "That's a red card!"

We knew we were in for an interesting evening when during warmups, we saw a long shot from one of the Revs go to the right of the Fort (towards the Bridge) and hit someone in the face, taking them right off their feet. Don't know who it was, but they were taken out on a stretcher by the EMTs. Whoever kicked it (might have been Tierney) came over and gave them his warmup jersey, then ran inside to get another one.