P/I/P: Revs at NYCFC, Sun August 20, 6:00pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Aug 20, 2017.

1. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Feel the excitement.

2. CynicRev

CynicRev New Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    The crickets are deafening....we must be in Gillette Stadium.

3. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the back four today, thus far. It seems like Delemea may be in Villa's head a little bit. Hoping we see Fagundez soon -- I view him as the offensive "accelerator" and Nguyen as the "brakes" this year. Quick attacks on the small field (and hideous footing) should be effective.

4. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Guess Geiger must feel like he owes us one (could you please make it up in MLS Cup, though?). No way Angoua should have gotten away with that rant.

5. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another defeat expertly extracted from the jaws of victory...

dncm and TOAzer repped this.
  6. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it classy, NYC fans, booing Fagundez for being down after getting a concussion. Sucks that Rowe is probably out for a while (and Fagundez and Kouassi, probably). On the Fagundez foul, I don't agree with Paul Mariner -- you are responsible for your hands and elbows. I thought that was a straight red (I also thought Angoua earned two yellows, so I'm not blaming Geiger for influencing the match).

The single most important question: How in the world is Jay Heaps still a coach in MLS?

TOAzer, RevsLiverpool and dncm repped this.
  7. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can Paul and Brad please STFU about the Revs chances of making the playoffs. They have a better chance of "catching" DC for last.

dncm repped this.
  8. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Nailed it. This loss was on him. His roster choices, his depth, his backups, thus his subbing patterns - all on Heaps.

Heaps panics and brings in Woodberry who is marginal at best. Let's a 60 yard ball across field get to Villa's feet and gives him time to play the ball back that lead to the shot. meanwhile Farrell is flopping around like a fish. Don;t give me any crap about Koussai going off, or Anguoa and his yellow card accumlation.

At the end of the broadcast you could see Koffie and Woodberry arguing......looks like the good ole days, when at the end of the broadcasts while Brad and Paul were trying to sugar coat it - Soares, Farrell, and Shuttleworth were all arguing with each other.

After the NYCFC goal - at the kickoff, Delemea is up at midfield line for the kickoff - is that a Heaps masterstroke. Now that we are down - Tony, you go run up and try and be a forward. Embarrassing.

No real leaders, no real studs, no real plan, no ambition - just excuses. Panic mode all over the place.

Hope Rowe (and Fagundez are okay). I was never a super Rowe fan before this year - but Heaps has jerked him all over the field - and Row has done his best. He has been way more consistent and does not deserve a coach like Heaps - and probably could be thriving somewhere else (like he did with the Nats).

As far as I know - Lee was not injured. So Heaps decides to bench his captain? Way to pick your captain - reminds me of Calvijo - another guy who could not hack it as a coach. Clavijo picked Harkes as his captain, but then kept subbing him - a clear way that the coach does not have the chops or balls to handle professional men - which the players pick up on.

Thanks, Jay!

VTSoccerFan, RevsLiverpool and BERich repped this.
  9. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Farrell was highly culpable on both goals. He went to cover the corner, rather than going to mark Villa on the first goal, and just lost his mark on the second.

Agree, but in my mind the failure was selecting him as captain at the start of the year. Lee has not been on the same page a Jay/the team IMHO all this year -- Heaps talked last week (or the week before) at the half about attacking quickly and Lee in his halftime interview talked about holding the ball up.

10. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Meh. I didn't find this as crushing as Brad and Paul seemed to, except perhaps on the injury front. We didn't deserve a win. Maybe a point - our goal was pretty fluky. Dielna looked better than I'd expected him to, so that's nice. And I liked the Lee-less look for a change, though Xouassi probably isn't durable enough to sustain it.

My big worry is that Jay and his bosses look at this and see "fluke" rather than faulting the braintrust. We're fcuking dumbasses.

dncm repped this.
  11. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad I missed this one - sounds like it was a real gem of a match.

Hopefully this throws a Gillette Stadium size pile of dirt on the revs' chances of making the playoffs. Dead, buried and now even deeper. Fahgeddabout it. Time to look towards 2018.

Just curious, who captained the team tonight?

Based on the replay of the NYC goals, I agree, Farrell was at least partially at fault on both goals. He has brainfarts wayyyy too often for a #1 overall pick in his 6th year professionally. Time to cut ties with Farrell and upgrade (again).

dncm repped this.
  12. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Xavier Kouassi -- I thought he was a really interesting choice, given how little he's played. I think Caldwell took the armband when Kouassi was subbed.

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Dielna looked promising--he hasn't been infected by Revs loserdom and the Cult of Moral Victories yet, but just wait.

There are simply too many players on the field for the Revs at any one time who are not in their natural positions.

Farrell is not a left back, Rowe is not a right back, Agudelo is not a wide player, Angoua is not a starter period.

Can't fire the owner, so either Burns Heaps or preferably both have to go.

dncm, swedust, VTSoccerFan and 2 others repped this.
  14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BOTH is my vote.

15. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I am as fond of Lee as any Revs fan, but a month+ or so ago I started to feel like he would be more valuable coming off the bench in the role Kobayashi formerly held, and that the keys to the midfield attack should be given to Fagundez.

Lo and behold, when Heaps finally decides to "change up" the attack, BOTH OF THEM are on the bench.

Argh. Blech. Etc.

RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is interesting. Would have thought Caldwell would be the natural choice.

17. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caldwell didn't start.

18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Caldwell was on the bench to start, so not a captaining option.

19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow....what a spectacular melt down. Honestly with a Heaps coached team this should come as no surprise. We have seen this time and time again under his guidance. Not like a change now would do much good but this is and has been embarrassing

socfandan and dncm repped this.
  20. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It is sad to see the responses to this but its been a long time coming. Shame they only care about the Soccer Mom crowd and not keeping their die hard fans

dncm repped this.
  21. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Substitutions still haunt Heaps.

You would think Dielna would be a candidate to get subbed out, given he's not played 90 in a while. However, Angoua forced his hand with more boneheaded decision making. Jay doubled down on the madness by choosing to replace him with Caldwell, pulling Rowe back to fill Angoua's spot as right back, rather than his more familiar LB and returning Farrell to RB.

Kouassi had a good match but he hasn't had a lot of minutes recently and unfortunately had to come out after sustaining a knock. We don't have another CM on the bench, though I assume that Kobayashi and Watson were fit. No problem, we still have two quality CMs on the pitch. However he chooses Diego over the arguably more possession oriented Nguyen.

Finally Teal has to come out, and Jay has to choose from Woodberry, Femi, Tierney and Nguyen. By now, panic has set in, and Jay subs in arguably our weakest defender for Teal. The back line is total chaos, and NYC takes all the points.

Questions for Jay:
    1. why not Nguyen?
    2. Were Watson or Kobayashi available?
    3. Why Woodberry?

firstshirt, TOAzer, dncm and 2 others repped this.
  22. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Watson was suspended for yellow accumulation. Nguyen injured himself in warmups according to Lemeiux.

dncm and BrianLBI repped this.
  23. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Didn't see anything in the highlights package so can anyone describe the various injuries & their severity picked up by Rowe, Kouassi and how Fagundez was concussed?

People on Twitter seemed pretty crestfallen by the injuries, especially Rowe's.

24. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed - or that Heaps has not "settled" on and developed - look at Zusi for KC.

btw - that was a rookie who scored the winning goal. A player Viera has given confidence to, nurtured, and got him in the right spots to succeed.

How are our rookies doing.........for the last 4 years?

How does Brad, Paul, and sideline reporter not know that and report it? Did anyone actually see him get injured during warmups who was at the game?

So what is interesting to me then, is who was NOT supposed to start that did.

If you think Teal, well then Heaps can't figure out how to use him since he has been more valuable that our amazingly stinky who can't figure out how to play in this amazing Heaps' system DP - Kamara. Heaps doesn't look good.

If you think Koussai since he is just coming back from injury, then pushing him because you want to now play more defensive and not trust all that "attacking talent" people say the Revs have, and then playing him so that he injures himself again - Heaps doesn't look good.

If you think Agudelo, well - who cares. Heaps has sent this player so far backwards mis-using him - Heaps doesn't look good.

If you think Koffie, well - then clearly he panicked and figured he better pack it in on the road when he needs 3 points. Where is that attacking mentality that Heaps preaches (but cannot coach) - Heaps doesn't look good

If you think Rowe - well, he is the only player who looks like he bleeds red, white, and blue for the Revs this year. If he didn't play - Heaps doesn't look good. And Rowe should have been the captain. And he should be the Midnight Riders (or whatever it is called now) player of the year

If you think Kamara - well, way to admit that you are not good at scouting and integrating players - but panicking and rushing to spend so much money to get a possible flash in the pan type of player. Heaps doesn't look good.

And to add more insult to Heaps poor decision making, roster planning, looking a window ahead - for Tierney to drop this far down is unbelievable. They spend all off season finding 2 center backs and a new GK - who are okay, but not world beaters. (And frankly aren't the complete reason - our front 6 Heaps cannot coach or get to play/integrate well enough to dominate and keep leads - and if they do, Heaps subs wreck it all).

And then in a panic - buy another CB, move one of the CB's to right back - and then the RB to LB. Then as mentioned above - when Heaps subs - he confuses all the players moving them around. And Tierney as a left back can't even get into the game - where is all the experience Heaps used to tought about Tierney.

It is like he is a college coach trying to manage the no re-entry rule.

And this youth soccer mentality and committee for everything approach shows Heaps just does not have it and we belong exactly where we are.

Agreed here - the excuses are so easy to make, that they will make them.

We play DC United on the road. One would think the Revs should WIN - and then everyone will report: Look, they won on the road (against the worst team in MLS). Everything is totally fine!

Again, win one, lose one - beat non-playof teams, lose to playoff teams - blah!

But if they lose...

25. REV IT UP

REV IT UP Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jul 12, 2004
    San Francisco
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why i secretly hope the Revs continue to lose deep down inside. It's better to let the entire building collapse before trying to rebuild it. Any signs that point to potential progress made from Burns and Heaps is severely detrimental to the entire organization in the long run.