P/I/P: Revs at Atlanta, Wed Sept 13, 7:00pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Sep 11, 2017.

1. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Life's too short, you didn't miss anything

2. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Atlanta's thrown the notion of expansion franchise out the window. Everyone in that entire organization is on point.

BERich and Auriaprottu repped this.
  3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight they were, that's for sure

TOAzer repped this.
  4. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    set a record tonight: first team in MLS history to record 0 shots in a game.And -

pwykes repped this.
  5. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    I saw the MLS Live feed, which was from Atlanta: in their pre-game they had Kamara and Teal starting up top.

That wasn't what ended up happening, obviously: was this just a broadcasting pre-production error? Any commentary on the NE broadcast about a last-minute shuffle?

6. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Irrelevant to #NERevs franchise's overall big picture condition - but - that red to Delelmea was certainly interesting.

Of primary interest is per FIFA Laws - a player must **deliberately** commit "handling" offense to be sent off for DOGSO.

In addition (see this article: http://soccerrefereeusa.com/index.php/entry/64-understanding-and-judging-handling-offenses-in-soccer):

My take on the criteria as applied to Tony's situation (I ask that you please read the article before debating the crtieria!):

Primary Criteria

1.) Tony was in process of becoming "smaller" as he went from upright to slide tackle. Debatable if arm position in that context made him larger. His overall profile re: the goal mouth coverage was decreasing - from full height to a narrow slide. So - this criteria (whether or not he Made Himself Bigger) is debatable.

2.) His arm was in motion in a way that is consistent with someone sliding for a tackle. Arms are usually away from the body when performing this task. I don't typically see slide tackles done with arms pinned at sides of body. Again, clearly debatable as to whether or not this was an "Unnatural Position".

3.) He clearly derived Benefit in this situation - his arm stopped a shot that would have been difficult for Cropper to save. ***However***, most of the direction to refs on evaluating benefit is contingent on whether either of the first two criteria are met. Of special note is that Benefit can occur only if arm is deemed to be in Unnatural Position. Since neither of the first two criteria are clear-cut in this case, is it fuzzy as to whether the "Benefit" criteria even comes into the equation here. So - again - debatable.

Secondary Criteria ("Importantly, the criteria 4 and 5 are to be considered only if, after applying criteria 1 through 3, the referee is still uncertain as to whether handling has occurred.")

4.) In terms of Reaction Time, this is where the scales really tip in Tony's favor. The shot was nearly point blank range, leaving Tony with no time to react. I do not think there is a debate on the Reaction Time criteria (although I am sure someone could find a way to argue even that!)

5.) It looked to me like the ball played the hand, not a case of Tony's Hand/Arm To The Ball. Again, this relates to whether or not his arm was in an Unnatural Position (criteria 2), which I believe was not the case. If that is true then this criteria 5 is not applicable. So - again - debatable.

A few conclusions here -
    1. Seems easily debatable whether the Handing offence even occurred. After looking at the inconclusive nature of all of the assessments for all the criteria, to me it seems very difficult to build a solid case that Handling offence occurred.
    2. Debatable that even if Handling occured, whether or not it was DOGSO. (I think it was DOGSO, if you believe that Handling occurred.)
    3. If Handling did not occur, then DOGSO does not even come into play, and on that basis, no PK should have been awarded, Tony should not have been ejected, and he should not be suspended for next game.
    A very slim margin on this one, as it can clearly be argued in many directions, but that is where I am landing on it tonight: The Wrong Call.

[But, back to the big picture issues now....]

teskicks repped this.
  7. teskicks

teskicks Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Jan 14, 2002
    Wrentham, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had the exact opposite reaction. Kouassi's red looked appropriate and Toni's did not. His arm was in a natural position given the slide he attempted.

goussoccer repped this.
  8. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right... so that could have gone better.

Mods, can we close this thread, delete it, and never speak of it again?

9. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't catch this game last night because I was racked with a migraine. But it sounds like I had the more fun evening.

Fire Heaps.

10. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Tony's call for hand ball was legitimate. I understand your argument about distance and natural position, but I don't think that a ref can ignore a blocked shot with your arm above your head in the box. My problem is with the red card. DOGSO was put in place to stop defenders from cleaning out forwards who were on a break, usually ahead of the last defender, and giving them a free kick from 30 to 40 yards out. It has been very successful, you don't see defenders cleaning out forwards anymore. However, it has now worked its way as the last defender in the box. That was NOT the intent of the law. A foul in the box results in a PK - a GSO. Giving a PK and a red card is a double penalty and needs to be addressed, it is not fair play.

Gunner and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  11. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you were correct in your assessment last week that Lee is auditioning for his next job.

At the time Lee was handing over the captain's arm band to Cody; Paul commented, "Jay is calling the team over to the sideline....nobodies coming." That was not followed up on and quickly dropped. Move along, nothing to see here!

dncm and Anto'nio repped this.
  12. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This. Toni's arm was more up than out.

What a train wreck...

13. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did anyone else want to give Feldman a beating when toward the end of the game...more than once...he talked about how this really hurt because of the goal differential damage? Really, Brad...REALLY?!?!?!

RevsLiverpool and pwykes repped this.
  14. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm in Canada on a book signing tour and was upset that I hadn't programmed my DVR to record the game, I'm feeling blessed now,. I don't even want to watch the game summery on MLS web page. :devilish:

15. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Two people need to be fired after that game: Heaps and Toledo.

Heaps game plan was - we have no plan, just kick them hard. He knew Toledo was the ref. What a stupid plan. It's so bizarre - Heaps' tactics aren't great at home, but they're not atrocious. Is he getting instructions from a Gillette parking attendant? His building's doorman? We need to get that parking attendant or doorman on the road trips.

On Delamea's red card, Toledo first completely misses a very obvious hand ball during the run of play, and then with the benefit of taking his time in VAR, incorrectly ejects Delamea after correctly awarding the penalty. In addition his game management was awful, but that's to be expected from him.

dncm and BERich repped this.
  16. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you could hit yourself straight in the face with your book a few times, and you'd achieve roughly the same effect as watching the match.

17. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes it hurt to watch, but they got what they deserved, they got their teeth kicked in. This is not a good team, this is not good coaching, this is not a good organization, this team has no shot at the playoffs.

All I hope for is that one day, maybe 9/30 or next couple year we get Atlanta in a home game and we smash in 8 or 9.

RevsLiverpool and CynicRev repped this.
  18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #68 firstshirt, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    Plus his head at that time was waist high as he was sliding

19. SamSam

SamSam Member

Feb 26, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So this is tied for the worst loss ever of 7-0 or 8-1 games, but shouldn't the tiebreaker be shots in which case....we win???

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Nailed it on all of these. Brad made a big deal that the players all got together to "decide" how to get a road win. Because there is NO LEADER in this team - all I could think of was the Little Rascals, and someone going "Well, let's just foul like crazy", and everyone else going "Yaaaaaaa, that's a great idea". What was Heaps involvement in this (Remember, Jay HAD to sub Anguoa once because Jay said they can't "control him" - WTF?).

Add in Heaps youth soccer decisions to keep passing the captain's armband around - and the fact Lee wants no part of it (after being the captain for basically the whole season).

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "But, but, the refs! C'mon, sending off a second man when we're already down a man?! The Refs screwed us over! We were unlucky!"

In the words of our immortal ex-gaffer, "We wuuur crraaaap tae-nate! Pure and utter shite! A steamin-hot payle-a dog shite, stenkin oop tha petch. When yuh gi' up a gool enn tha furst tue mennets, ett makes ett really deffecult tae recooover frum tha'. An fur the penalties an red cards, ye ken blayme thu rafaree effyalake, bu a thu endathadey, yuh gut tae loo' a yurself inna mirra."

BERich, Anto'nio and dncm repped this.
  22. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    And listening to our ex-assistant gaffer, we could have made a drinking game of how many times he said Clumsy! :eek:

ToMhIlL repped this.
  23. Argyle

Argyle Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Plymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good call!

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heaps now holds the record for the worst Rev defeat EVER, as well as ZERO shots for the whole game. On top of that, we lose two starters for the next game so might as well mail that one in and the season is over.

In a must win game, not only did we not win, we got our butts kicked...it was over in the first 7 minutes. It shall now be known as t "game of 2's" That is two:

2 - Game over in under 2 minutes (our right side was terrible)
    2 - PKs
    2 - Yellow cards
    2 - Red cards
    2 - Video Reviews (which I now officially hate since they generated 2 Reds)
    2 - Stupid (the starting lineup) the stupid fouls, the stupid hand balls and Toledo

The game was basically over (thank you Toledo) when a no call during the run of play turned into a Red via the replay. Where was Toledo on that run of play. For that matter, the PK and Red in the box was total crap. Another no call turned into a Red when a guy slides to try and block, the resulting kick HITS HIM IN THE HAD and Toledo calls nothing then on replay... the double insult. PK and RED. I was hoping Cropper would turn his back on the shooter, drop his shorts and moon him over the stupid call and ejection. There was no had to ball... it should not be a call and clearly not a Red. I really hope the league overturns that AND fines that idiot Toledo who missed BOTH calls and ruined a potentially good game.

Finally Heaps - CLUELESS. Change the formation (how'd that work) Started Koffie and Watson... both Id get rid of ASAP as both are too dumb to tolerate. He sits Caldwell on the bench after two very good games and replaces him with dumb and dumber. Crazy. I dont see how Heaps can survive this one? We needed a win and it was over in the first 2 minutes. It should be the icing on the cake to his pitiful career.

Its time to clean house Karaft... the minute the season is over. Fire EVERYBODY and that means above Heaps as well. We have some good players, way better than our record. Get somebody that knows how to manage a team in there and people that can build a roster...before the season.

25. frankieg73

frankieg73 Member

New England Revolution
    Portugal
    Apr 8, 2001
    St. Petersburg, FL (not my choice)
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If you think Heaps is going to be fired for this, I doubt it. The blame will be placed on the ref, unlucky calls, unlucky hand balls, a super charged home field advantage, etc.

What was the game plan? A better approach could have helped prevent all of the frantic slide tackling. And when the ref is Baldomero Toledo, you know there will be cards, so stay on your feet! Both reds were justified, the second was unfortunate, but some actual game prep and a more thought out process of player selection could have prevented a slaughter and kept at least 10 players on the field.

The way home was the longest, loneliest subway ride of my life. (To be clear: None of the locals were rude at all, some were sympathetic) I was so filled with rage after I got home.

I want Heaps and Burns fired. Now. Today. But I doubt anything will happen until at least after the season is over. If at all. I waited 3 1/2 years for this match, and the team couldn't have pissed me off any more than they did. So disgusted.

TOAzer and a517dogg repped this.