P/I/P Rapids @ TFC, CCL 6 pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Maarten van 242

Jan 20, 2012
    Club:
    Lille OSC
    While there were many contributing factors, it was my impression that the past bunker ball you speak of *primarily* resulted from the midfield being almost fully incapable of maintaining possession and systematically moving the ball upfield to a point where quality service could be offered to the forwards for scoring chances. Although we we had a quality forward in Doyle, he was barely effective because of shite service (to put it kindly). Basically, as a result, the pitch was tilted downhill toward the defensive side, which made it horribly boring soccer to watch and resulted in so few goals that they had to donate the huge surplus of Arsenal cannon artillery shells to Fort Carson for safe keeping. That was then.

This is now. While all here would likely agree that the glaring lack of a quality striker signing in the offseason is a major, major concern, the defensive and midfield upgrades for the 3-5-2 are almost certainly going to change the dynamic and appeal of play. If you attended the Feb. 20th game at 0 degrees Kelvin, you would have seen more than glimpses of this (at least in the 1st half). Price in the center (a huge improvement), flanked by the speed of Castillo/Hairson on the outside (among the other mids) can dramatically change the success rate of ball movement and possession, not to mention basic organization. Quality play and noticeable systematic flow. They had great movement laterally back 'n forth, as well as up the pitch to the attacking third. The potential is there. Add in Aigner and maybe Gashi, and hey, it's ain't half bad as the saying goes. There is potential. This is not Pablo ball. This is not bunker ball.

Having said that, I do agree that this season could still just be "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" if they don't address the striker situation. After that TFC opener, we lamented Badji ongoing inability to finish; McBean's obvious lack of speed (and lack of strength and craftiness); as well as Mason's low scoring "serial loanee" career path. I'm currently 100% skeptical of the forwards. Even if Gashi steps up to forward (and is injury-free, of course), we still need more. Without upgrades up top, the record may still suffer like the past. As others have said, they've only found the net once in MLS preseason/CCL matches. Not good.

But... even under the worse case scenario of no new striker signings, I'm at least optimistic that the entertainment factor and the systematic organization of play and upfield flow will be noticeably better than the past. That first 45 at The Dick on 2/20 was actually exciting, with a good vibe/energy, despite only 2,600 dumbasses like me in the stands freezing their arses off. The pressure and momentum on the pitch was palpable... against TFC.

And frankly, although finding a quality striker has been extremely challenging (given many mentioned factors which I agree with), I'd much rather have the outstanding issues isolated to one position (or even one guy) than to have major dysfunction with more than half of the players and the entire system, like last year... like bunker ball.

Yes, if they can't score, the bottomline is the same. It's technically just rearranged deck chairs. The pessimist in me sees that. But, we're a hell of lot closer to a possible solution now than last year (again, one guy, perhaps), and the attractiveness factor is already at an upgrade. That's the optimist's side... and it's worthy.

Rod1916, unkiemark and JasonMa repped this.
  2. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 14, 2009
    Club:
    Jaguares de Chiapas FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, maybe it's probably not going to be "bunker ball". But unless that really good striker arrives soon, there's going to be very few victories. And that's certainly not going to be very watchable.

3. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Maybe the other teams will score nice goals. I'm Ok with that as long as its not Seattle, FSL, Portland, LA.2, Dallas, NYCFC, Atlanta, or SKC. Maybe #SavetheCrew will get a good one.

4. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    First chance to read comments about the game. Boy, I'm not as pessimistic as most. I thought the play was significantly improved over last year. No forwards, but we knew that. But there were a few nice passing plays to generate chances. I had to clean my glasses. Last year's offense was strictly long balls over the top. (Ugh.)

Of course, my expectations were low. The entire team is new. That was my first game and I was rooting for a colored uniform rather than recognizing players. As Marcelo likes to say, "it's going to take some time." (Ugh.) But with all new players, new coach and new formation, they actually played better than I anticipated. That new formation in particular--there was a lot of hesitation.

Not predicting great success this year, but I see a .500 team. From the dumpster fire of a team last year, it's frankly more than I expected.

AlbertCamus, wormhole and Rod1916 repped this.