P/I/P Philly @ Revs, 8/11/2018, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Aug 7, 2018.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is ALL on the Krafts. They can choose to fix this if they wanted to. They're the only ones that have the power to change the status quo. They actively choose to do nothing.
    According to BK himself, this team has been making money since the late '90s ... so not much of a tax write-off.

2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV. But I'm calling it: time of death, 9:30pm, Sat Aug11th. The season is over. Stick a fork in it. Done and dusted.

The Revs schedule in the next 8 games is brutal (6 on the road), only a home game vs CHI with the potential for 3 points.

The Revs are in 7th place (6th on PPG) in the East, but I guarantee they will not make the playoffs. If Montreal falters, TOR or DCU will take their place, not the Revs.

a517dogg repped this.
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was listening to Mike McCarthy and Charlie Davies on the post-game radio show.

They had been drinking Friedel's Koolaid, saying how this roster is a playoff roster, and they outplayed PHI.

How many times can you say you outplayed your opponent but still lost, before you take a harder look at your roster?

They also talked about how Mancienne is a "Jermaine Jones-type leader" and how he is going to come in an organize the defense. Which is also what Brad has been saying, but reports we have heard from fans in Europe who have actually seen him play paint a different picture.

The Revs took 26 shots in this game. Woohoo! All that means is that they continue to take low percentage, poor quality shots instead of working for a better opportunity.

Bad luck? Farrell takes a wild shot that bounces off a defender and goes in? PHI hits the woodwork twice? That's not bad luck.

This was a must-win game, and they spit the bit. If they are putting in the effort, but the results aren't coming, that can only mean they lack the talent.

Roster makeover is all well and good, but the idea is to unload the bad players and replace them with better ones. If you unload the few good players you have and replace them, all you are doing is maintaining the status quo.

pwykes, TOAzer and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  4. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    This is very interesting to hear them use that comparison. Going to be very interesting to watch.

First, will he even be cleared to play by this upcoming Sat?

Second, Jermaine was on a whole other pedigree level coming from Germany and his play for the Nats. There was no one even close to that on the Revs. He had the leadership and the play to back it up.

Mancienne is not coming from the same pedigree level. He can be as rah-rah, but he has got to back it up on the field and in the locker room, otherwise he will just be another player "trying" to be the leader.

This will also be a judge of Friedel's talents/growth as a manager - of what he thinks is ailing the team and what is needed, his eye for quality and leadership in players, and how to play them.

DC is coming off a mammoth game from Sunday, but they do play Wednesday too.

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which is why Jon Kraft can feel comfortable and proud in saying that the Revs teams are over-achievers.

tsb11 repped this.
  6. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If 7th in the East is over-achieving, their standards are even lower than I thought...

tsb11, firstshirt and TOAzer repped this.
  7. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0-4-2 in their last 6, winless since 6/30 vs DC.

Going back to the start of June, the revs are just 2-4-4. they've gotten 10 points out of a possible 30. If they keep up that pace, they will end up with 40 pts, well out of playoff contention.

All those narrow victories early in the year are now turning into losses and draws. It's a worrying trend and speaks less to tactics than to mentality. The revs aren't tough enough to weather a storm and see the game out.

8. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was noting earlier this year that Brad says the right things, but will it only be talk. "Good teams don't lose two in a row," became "Good teams don't lose three in a row" became winless in their last 6.

Meet the new Revs. Same as the old Revs.

MM66, RevsLiverpool and TOAzer repped this.
  9. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a wasted year. Whether or not they manage to stagger into the playoffs [and I've consistently said they won't], there is no hint of Friedel constructing a team that in the future is a serious contender for MLS Cup. What he is constructing is a very pedestrian and unskilled team that will rely on "hard work and effort" to stave off disgraceful seasons. It may not even be a poor man's Blackburn he is a'makin'. We may be Colorado East.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  10. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colorado East is just fine, as long as they don't lose money. If they make a little cash, that's even better! Bonuses for Bilello and Burns for keeping the expenses low!

Now to play devil's advocate, suppose you brought in some guy and paid him $3 million a year. He would be the "face of the franchise," and you'd have to spend even more money to promote it. And the media would pay more attention, and you'd have to double the amount of food in the pressbox--you know that stuff doesn't grow on trees! Well, maybe some of it does, but you get the idea. Besides, how many jerseys is he gonna sell anyway? And then we'll probably be in the playoffs and we might even get a home game or two. Then we'd have to hear it with the paint on the field and all that...

Who needs that kind of hassle? Colorado East is looking better and better!

TOAzer and tsb11 repped this.
  11. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a league where the majority of the teams make the playoffs, we're now in danger of missing it for the third straight year. We only had one playoff game the season prior to that. And we haven't had a home playoff game since 2014.

And somehow, Burns still has a job.

A Casual Fan repped this.
  12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Pretty staggering how the individual goat of the game seems to keep getting passed around.

- I love the way Zahibo plays (once he's in a rhythm) ... and then he takes a snooze as his man saunters past him and scores.

- I was thinking that Delmea was actually having an excellent, very steady game and then he reaches up and swats the ball?

- our attackers Bunbury and Fagundez, work their tails off, buzzing all over PHI's penalty area, then totally forget their defending assignments on corner kicks.

- watching Turner lately makes me think he's subliminally begging for a couple of games off. Sure Friedel can see that he needs a mental break?

- anyone still talking about how talented Agudelo is should watch what he did in this game with wide-open shots. How he can run onto a ball in space and not get it on goal at this point in his career is a really wonder.

I think, bottom line is, we've collected defenders who are very good most of the time. But while defending well most of the time might work in the NBA, it doesn't in this sport.

We probably should have won this game based on chances and pressure created, but OTOH, it's a little scary that we have to apply that much attacking pressure just to be competitive on the scoresheet. The teams we've been losing to lately have beaten us without actually having to play very well - we're that leaky.

A Casual Fan and dncm repped this.
  14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    #89 tsb11, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    I dont think many of those 26 were low quality shot attempts. What they were was poorly executed. Put a ball on frame boys! Definitely points to a lack of talent, need to be able to hit the net 2/3 of the time on chances and they were sub 25

rkupp repped this.
  15. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Agreed - and even Diego sometimes looks like he is in such a good space entering or around the box, but then tries to pass or chip to back post instead of getting to goal/shooting on goal himself.

That was why I asked about the stat that Feldman brings up. Did anyone find where that list is?

I think this is a good summary of our current state.

16. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had won all the games we "should have won" in the past 3 years, we would have been solidly in the playoffs every one of those years. Just in recent weeks you could say we "should have" won vs LA and Orlando, and a draw vs Philly. 7 points when we got one

17. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
  18. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s a regular feature of our summer slumps that they include plenty of “should have wons.” We never collapse into total ineptitude. It’s only occasional ineptitude combined with perfectly timed failures at crucial moments, a la the Philly game. Tradition!

19. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    "Ladies and Gentlemen, Your 2018 US Open Cup FOUURRRTH ROUUUNNNNNDD PARTICIPAAANNNNTS, SIXTEEEEEENNTH-FINALLLLISTS, the Newwww Engglaaannnnndd REVOLUUUUUTIONNNNNNN!!!! Only a few rounds off of last year's USOC pace!"

Step right up, the Season Membership line is right this way....

---------------------------------------------

How the Revs mgmt/FO spins their next bit of marketing of the teams "success" will certainly be interesting.

TOAzer repped this.
  20. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000

From a while back -

pwykes and TOAzer repped this.
  21. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Totally agree with these points. Was thinking myself after that match that Turner could use a break. And regarding the back line, going up against Rooney with his soccer mind - even at this point in his DCU career - is probably the last thing they need at this point.