P/I/P Philly @ Revs, 8/11/2018, 7:30pm [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by dncm, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I totally agree with you on all points. I also have been a fan since day 1 but lately I am finding the Revs harder and harder to watch.

I think the the only hope would come if Burns was gone. He is in the middle of the player signings and has totally failed at his job. We basically suck and he constantly signs bargain basement players, project players or draft picks. None will get us to where we need to go. So another trade window has closed with little to nothing being done. So to answer you question on who to be pissed at, here's my short list:

1) Mile Burns - He absolutely needs to go. All the reasons listed in the main article. You can only throw so many coaches under the bus before somebody realizes the coaches aren't the problem. Somebody needs to send Burns packing now!

2) Krafts - their overall indifference to the situation makes them big problem number 2. They could fix the first problem by getting rid of Burns but they won't do it. Somebody needs to do it though

I havent been to the stadium in a few years now and see nothing worth the price of a ticket to go watch anymore.

TOAzer repped this.
  2. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The story of this team. No one seems to care (and I don’t mean fans).

TOAzer repped this.
  3. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    So torn - It felt like either team could have won that game - but both teams are just not that great anyway.

Revs are 10 points behind 4th place Columbus - that is more the marker to me about where this club's ambitions are, not if we just squeak into the playoffs. Either Heaps set us so far back in the roster that is not possible (which could be the case), or the Revs just don't have the ambition regardless of Friedel and what players he tries to bring in.

Friedel has got be careful - he keeps harping on individual mistakes - but every goal conceded might be attributed to some individual mistake. If his message starts getting mixed, the players start playing nervous trying not to make a mistake - Friedel as a manager may not pan out.

Feldman keeps bringing up Diego and this "Chances Created" stat. Does anyone know where this is coming from - I could not see on MLS site.

Painful.

RevsLiverpool and Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  4. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I don't think they are actively trying to lose, but I worry Friedel will lose the team. His previous coaching experience was with national youth teams filled with eager youngsters who he only coached a few weeks at a time. I could see professionals who get paid either way tuning his rah-rah crap out.

It would explain why they worked on set pieces so many hours and then managed to give up 3 goals on them

5. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Hopefully they practice missing sitters and losing defensive marking assignments this week.

6. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Chances created are tough to measure, becuase what constitutes a chance and what its quality is are subjective. I suppose you coukd look at an individual shot xg and (if you still have access to the replay) watch it and see of diego had a hand n settng it up. Its much easier to measure key passes, which are passes that lead to a shot. Either way, just because it isnt a public opta stat doesnt mean it isnt something being measured, and diego (and the offense in general) have done a nice job of creating shots in dangerous places. What the havent done is put the shots on goal

dncm repped this.
  7. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    And one of the supposedly 'difference makers' or at least someone we thought was someone to 'get excited' about, Machado, never even saw the field? I realize we were chasing the game a bit, but man that is disappointing.

8. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I can somewhat understand (not really) why he didn't start in his first game and came off the bench (although way too late) but seriously.... how the f did he not start the game?! WTF?!

9. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA

Excellent summary and I couldn't agree more. I used to be a season ticket holder. I'd attend every home game and would watch every away game (either live or taped). Now I go to a game once every couple of years or so and watch about 1/2 the games on tv.

Burns is certainly a problem but I put 100% of the blame on the Krafts. If they really cared about the team, Burns wouldn't still be in his position and they would have hired a proven, experienced coach instead of yet again hiring a former player with no experience. It's clear they are happy as long as the team doesn't lose money.

I find it really hard to keep interest in a team where the owner obviously doesn't give a damn about them. I keep connected in the hope that maybe one day Kraft will wake up, clean house, and invest in some top notch/exciting players but as each year passes with the same old results I'm more and more pessimistic that the required changes will ever be put in place while Kraft remains the owner of this team.

RevsRule and TOAzer repped this.
  10. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks and agreed. I wasn't questioning the validity - I was genuinely asking where is this so I could see the whole list. They say Diego is #5, I am just curious who is in front, who is behind, etc.

11. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    Maybe he was beat out in Practice lol or maybe he's just not as good as others?

TOAzer repped this.
  12. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think they have that stuff down.

13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chances created are what you talk about when nothing else is happening. I'd rather count "chances blown" when a good setup, that should have resulted on a scoring chance, instead goes into row 30. I do remember several of those. Nice power ... no accuracy.

Face it people, we are no better than we're showing right now. Any talent we had is either gone or seems to have one foot out the door. Rowe with 10 minutes? He has to want out. Juan... the last talent we have, is constantly being talked about as trade bait. Trade for what? Screw money, screw draft picks. WE NEED PLAYERS and Burns cannot deliver them and when he does, they don't play. Makes me wonder how good they are (Somi, new guys). We are heading to the bottom and Im not sure I even blame Brad. An old saying comes to mind and applys "You can't make Chicken Soup out of Chicken S&*t and thats the task Brad has been assigned.

Lee was right to want out

A Casual Fan repped this.
  14. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Imagine being a passionate fan of a team, a season ticket holder for most - if not all - of its existence, watching that team spend its life as a mediocre operation on and off the field. Lots of empty seats and always playing in a stadium that wasn't really an ideal home for the team. On occasion, they stumble their way into a decent player, coach and/or season, but they never win the big one and their temporary success is not sustainable over the long-term because the organization doesn't make the right investments. They are always an after thought in the local sports scene because their counterparts in other sports just do a better job.

Eventually, a miracle happens - the stadium situation, the composition of the roster and the coaching staff, and the ownership situation and commitment/skill level of the front office staff all come together to radically alter the direction of the franchise in a sustainable fashion for the better. They succeed on and off the field in every conceivable way. This is the story of the New England PATRIOTS, and Bob Kraft was one of the architects of that turnaround after having been one of those long-suffering fans.

It amazes me that he cannot see that - when it comes to the Revs - he is the Sullivan family. He runs a second tier soccer operation, and that is why results like last night have been commonplace since 1996. The team is almost always mediocre in all facets on and off the field. If only there were a fabulously wealthy soccer version of Bob Kraft in the market that would step up and save this team from the indifference and incompetence of its current owners and front office. Anyone here got a billion dollars?

A Casual Fan and TOAzer repped this.
  15. gringolimon

gringolimon Member

Club Bolívar
    Bolivia
    Sep 12, 2007
    White Plains, NY
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'd accept but in the reports on his training, the coaching staff were said and quoted on to be impressed. That being said, I'm not sure if they were referring to how quickly he adapted with the club in so few days.

Yet, what's the point of bringing him if they weren't sure if they would be getting a starter or someone coming off the bench. Didn't their scouts profile him and isn't that essentially what their job is?

16. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's just a little bit behind Herivaux.......

rkane1226 and RevsRule repped this.
  17. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Haven't posted much but have watched most of the matches - and was there last night. I do think they were a bit unlucky. First goal was soft as can be. 2nd, the ball hit the post then Turner - at that point it's pinball. The 3rd....ugh. And those were about the only 3 times Philly threatened all night.

2nd half the Revs dominated but couldn't finish - enough. Their keeper made one really nice save I think it was on Penilla. Agudelo should have finished a chance that kind of describes his career in a nutshell.

Farrell and Bye I thought were decent all night. They were unlucky but Freidel was right in saying they've gotten used to losing. They were just bad enough - and that's been the case for a while now.

Interesting thing to me though was apart from the Fort, the fans didn't seem to care. Nice night of entertainment - and the team works for Kraft in it's current 'state' - tax write-off when it comes to the business operation, yet the asset (because of MLS' growth) continues to increase in value.

Why change anything? Which is why Burns still has a job.

18. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that Brad's professional evaluation? The last guy with that evaluation is now starting at AM for a better club than the Revs.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's why its called the morgue. It's an affordable night out for the kids and the result doesnt really matter. As MLS grows and expands, the Krafts can always sell them at a large profit. So as long as they dont cost him a lot, its all good and he'll make money when he sells them. Plus, its a regular event in his stadium and he can make money off the pro shop and overpriced beer.. Attendance was listed as 19.5K so that was good for a rainy day/night. Not sure about the tax loss part though. You can't claim a loss forever and the Revs have been there a long time.

BTW last nights loss puts us below the playoff line

20. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was striking how little attacking talent the Revs had to call on, late in the game and needing a goal. Nice they dumped Nemeth and his salary, but that leaves them calling on the likes of Wright, with his career record of zero league goals. Is there any team in the league thinner at the striker position?

21. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    While I liked the Nemeth move the second it happened, that was because I figured they MUST have somebody coming in that was cheaper and hungrier... Oh right, its the ********in revs. I'd have to assume the depth chart is Bunbury->Aguedelo->Fagundez->Wright.

22. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    How dare you forget christian penilla! But yeah, you have to assume that because there isnt anyone else who plays as an attacker. Rowe? If i squint he is a winger i guess. Segbers? Femi? Oof that is shallow. But hey! At least the roster has 5 open slots and 4 defensive mids! And the highest paid player hasnt been in the 18 2 weeks running! Is it issac aangking time yet?

23. Sachem07

Sachem07 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Quincy
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Even if they signed him and Vang we'd have some sort of improvement. at least a few warm bodies on the roster.

24. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    aaaaaannnnnddddd the summer swoon continues. Revs summer tradition lives on. Doesn't matter who the coach is I guess. What are they at now, 10pts from their last 10 games? Last place DC now has 10pts in their last 6 games.

25. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mystified by the Bryan Wright sub and our entirely inept strategy for getting a tying goal.

Very nice strike from Farrell, but he still gives up the ball way too often, and his (hell, everyone's) crosses are subpar.

This team is playing a lot like last year - shaky defense and an offense that is paralyzed because of it.

rkupp repped this.