P/I/P NER vs NYC, Wed Jul 6, 7:30p ET

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Jul 5, 2016.

1. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three loses in a row. Too soon to call it a summer swoon yet? It's the one thing Revs fans can always count on...

2. Cannons

Cannons Member+

May 16, 2005
    I think Heaps has lost the team. Im sure Lee can play but am not sure he has any great desire when he has a turnover machine like Rowe near him. He's watching his NAT dreams evaporating and there's not much he can do about it

The only solution now is to fire Heaps and get somebody that has a clue. This team has given up on Heaps and are not going to play for him I fear.

SINGLE FORWARD DOESNT WORK HEAPS..... FIX IT BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE

3. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lee's struggles continue. Tierney has been awful. Heaps substitutions suck.

We controlled for the first 10-15, and then NYCFC got into the game and we were on our heels pretty much the rest of the game.

Pathetic performance.

You're playing your 4th game in 12 days ... so start pretty much the same lineup again. Down a goal and bring in Daigo. And then to top it, use your last sub on Farrell.

Summer window is open. Anyone tell our GM?

The only positive ... we used to suck on weeknights in front of small crowds. Now we suck in front of a larger crowd!

TheLostUniversity and teskicks repped this.
  4. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I was thinking last night -- the summer swoon on top of a spring swoon -- is it 1997 again?

5. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team seems incapable of playing a complete match against all but weak opposition. Score 2, give up 3. Tighten up the defense a bit, score no goals. I'm really discouraged by the lack of attacking influence our central midfielders exert on the match. I'd trade 20 percentage points of pass completions by Caldwell for half that many searching passes, played quickly. Fagundez looks lost. WHERE IS HERIVAUX?

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't tell at the game, early on when Rowe was taken down in the box ... was that a PK?

7. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, he was going down before the defender stuck out his foot, looking for the call. Paul was all, Diego last week should have gone down when he was hit in the box. I hate that; play the game!! Everybody seems to be looking for the call in the box and most of the time the refs swallow the whistle. Which means you have screwed yourself of any chance at scoring.

8. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm a little surprised that Rowe didn't get carded as he majorly embellished the little bit of contact.

9. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't think so. I thought he was trying to stay over the ball and the minor contact threw him forward. Not a PK, not a dive. I'll have to look again.

10. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I found this to be a very depressing match. There is a lot of skill on this team, but our structure is all wrong. To me, it looks like players are frustrated, and some seem to have already given up.
    Heaps Delenda Est

11. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Doesn't look like it. After watching 4-5 replays, I still couldn't see any contact on Rowe before the ball (that doesn't mean there wasn't any, just really hard to tell).

OTOH, right at minute 92, Saunders just shoves Daigo down as he tries to gather a loose ball. That was a pk - or should have been.
    Think so too.

I actually thought the ref was doing a good job, then I saw the replay of Kamara clearly getting fouled on the sequence leading up to NYCFC's goal and a bunch of calls missed (and numerous, persistent, deliberate fouls not getting carded) in that frenzy at the end.

We were really poor for most of the game, but I was really shocked at how much pressure we finally did apply the last 10 minutes.

For all the criticizing of Tierney, he put crosses on the head of Femi twice and Bunbury at point-blank range.

All in all, I think a tie would have been a fairer result, but the Revs can elicit much sympathy the way they're playing.

Diego and Nguyen are accomplishing nothing and Bunbury is still complete trick or treat. I really feel for Kamara - he must be getting so frustrated with the lack of service.

I think they need to move Nguyen out of the #10 role and play him at left wing. Give Rowe (or even Diego) the central attacking mid. Nguyen is a good 1v1 player, but he's not finding the space to create anything or make any runs in the middle. Back out on the wing, he'd have more space and fewer defenders - and he would be able to hold the ball under pressure and draw fouls, not just play the ball back time after time.

12. Dr. Sneezy

Dr. Sneezy Member

Jul 2, 2016
    I actually think this is a good idea. To my inexpert eye, it seems like teams have learned that Nguyen shies away from really physical play. This year especially they seem to be fouling him a few times hard early and then he doesn't want to attack, knowing he is likely to take a hard foul. So he is back passing much more which isn't helping the attack

sean'o repped this.
  13. BERich

BERich Member+

Feb 3, 2012
    New England
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope you meant can't!o_O

rkupp repped this.
  14. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think Rose is creative enough to be a 10? I'd keep him on the wing where he has done decently. Lee isn't defensive enough for the wing IMO.

15. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I don't think he'd be a super-incisive, classic #10, but I do think he will pass and look for combination play, is a threat running at goal and is our best threat at shooting from distance, which he would be better positioned for in the middle.

16. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree mainly because he can do all those things from the wing and we already have Nguyen who has a better soccer brain to conduct from the middle. Plus, if you cut in from the wing, it's a better angle to shoot from range or to find a runner (in my experience at least).

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Rowe's best long shots come from him running straight up the middle and not getting closed down. Nguyen doesn't have the same power - or at least he doesn't believe he does, because he doesn't attempt those shots.

The reason I would move Nguyen to the wing is that he would face more 1v1 coverage and he's good at beating the first man and then cutting to the middle or placing that curling shot. He's also exceptional at holding the ball out on the wing without getting trapped or forced back - and that allows other players to make runs and find space.

As it is now, he faces a gaggle of bodies between him and goal most of the time. Last game, he found opportunities - hitting an exceptional strike on the poor clearance and then finding Kamara with his against the flow pass, leading to the OG.

18. TheLostUniversity

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Feb 4, 2007
    Greater Boston
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, we have FIVE glorious wins in 19 matches ! What kind of Rev hating hater would dare suggest there's any Swoon in town?