P/I/P MLS Cup Playoffs Round 1: L.A. Galaxy @ Minnesota, SUNDAY 10/20/19, 5:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Oct 7, 2019.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was fun to watch. I'm not even mad having to stay up so late.

GBS has got a lot wrong this year, so kudos to him for planting Perry in front of the backline and letting Lletget and JDS push further up. They both score on a night where Zlatan and Pavon were off.... Good call, coach.

Wow, what a game coming up on Thursday night. Let's hope Z and P got the funk out tonight and will be ready to rock on Thursday night.

2. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #302 GermanyFC, Oct 21, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    I read and heard about how the new playoff format was a mistake and would lead to dull, defensive games. But it’s been anything but that, we’ve had goals galore and 5 close matches out of 6. Maybe the sample size is too small, but I don’t see the next round becoming a snoozfest.
    I was in Anaheim watching hockey, and watching the Galaxy on phone during breaks in game. When I see Galaxy 2-0 I’m thinking c’mon boys don’t make me sweat it out by giving up a goal which of course they do. When the game gets into 90th minute the phone stream freezes and I start scrambling for the score hoping it doesn’t now read 2-2. I finally get to mlssoccer.com and the minute by minute summary reads something like this (90+3 [corner kick: Minnesota]) I start thinking “This is when I get my heart broken” and I immediately start waiting for the score to change to 2-2.

3. GermanyFC

GermanyFC Member

Jul 14, 2008
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn’t finish. I then saw 2-1 Final. I wish the Galaxy wouldn’t make us nervous wrecks and kill off game properly. And people call this sport dull?You gotta be f-ing kidding me!

4. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Count me as nervous about Kitchen and Gonzalez starting, but I have to say with the exception of Gonzalez getting caught upfield once early (~8th minute), they both were solid. No clattering into somebody setting up a stupid FK for either of them. We could have given up 3 on the night, but we also could have gotten out of there with a clean sheet. Our offense will have to be better next game and our defense still good. I'd expect GBS to shakeup the lineup again. With our poor end of the regular season we've given ourselves the toughest path the MLS cup glory possible. And we will have to bring our best next game. Good news is that Zlatan has room for more effort and Pavon can probably be bit sharper. And Alessandrini was amazingly lively for his first game back. If my stats are correct LAFC/Chivas has one playoff game victory under their belt from 2006 (although it was Leg 1 and they failed to advance). I'm sure they are talking about how they wanted to face the Galaxy, but underneath there has to be a bit of nervousness. Of course on our side in a rebuilding year I could see some in the Galaxy camp wanting to spin this season as a success getting back to the playoffs and putting together some key pieces and style of play for the future - and that might be true - but as said LA Galaxy are about winning championships and now that we are up against LAFC we are going to have to put at least one more playoff win in the books before anyone might be seriously calling this season a success. It'll be curious to see if Bradley puts out a confident attacking game plan (which hasn't worked out for them, but sure looks good on paper) or if he has them tighten it up for the playoffs and count on the Galaxy defense being the first ones to screw up, or maybe play tight and let Vela try and draw a call with some "gamesmanship".

5. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    This is why I want Alessandrini back (as reported by the LA Times):
    “It was a long process. And I went through a lot of things during these past six months,” Alessandrini said. “It wasn’t easy. I cannot explain the feeling I have right now. I love soccer, I love this club, I love Los Angeles and I just want to help the team right now.”

Berks, ProudNatRN, Vindo310 and 10 others repped this.
  6. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Kitchen had a very good game. Gonzalez looked shaky at times, but he saved our ass on a couple of last ditch tackles. Feltscher likely would have been ball watching.

I was super skeptical with that line-up, but GBS got it right. Question is if Corona is fit for LAFC, does GBS change it back to our regular midfield 3?

7. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams played for the 2nd half. I think if tied 0-0 at half-time on Thursday, we have a great chance to win. But I feel it'll be a barn-burner from minute one.

The Beautiful Gamer and TrickHog repped this.
  8. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The good news is that our defense is most exposed on the counter, so teams that succeed against us do it by letting us push forward and then countering the heck out of us. LAFC doesn't play that way - they win by just totally overwhelming the other team with their attack. Will be curious to see if they change that mentality in the playoffs or not.

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need a thread for the Chivas playoff game (it's been 10 years since we faced them in the playoffs!)

Just thinking about our approach, I kind of think we should go:

Polenta-----Romney-----Steres------Gonzalez

if we play the same back 4.

I'd also be open to playing Araujo or Rolf at right back but I really think that we actually dominated our home game against Chivas (3-2 was soooooo flattering to them) and I think that a big part of that was Polenta on Vela in Vela's preferred spot.

The game at Chivas I believe Polenta was suspended and we had Skelvik at left back and it was a very different story.

You know...kudos to GBS for being pragmatic in this game (defensive posture) and And AND for not even dressing Skelvikcansfha. We may never see him in uniform again.

11. LEM-LAG

LEM-LAG Member+

May 28, 2011
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Kitchen was terrible last year but I feel he has stood his ground this season and deserves a little bit some credit. With him starting in MLS play (including yesterday's game), we are 4-3-0, nine goals against and three shutouts. That's not impressive but I've been more concerned about his salary and his injuries than his actual play.

Also, Jona is great everywhere but may be the best box-to-box midfielder in this league, and showed it yesterday. I would like to play him in his best position and sign a TAM DM who likes to stay home this offseason. A midfield composed of a new 6, Jona and Seba with Kitchen, Corona and Favio as depth could be nice.

12. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the big question. They want to control the game instead of react. Bob Bradley vs. his own ego.

13. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kitchen's had excellent individual performances this season. Everyone deserves a refresh since last season, IMO. Only Skeepnee (and maybe Rolf) haven't really redeemed themselves.

Agree on the 2nd part as well. We don't utilize our central midfield much; it's nice to see both our CMs get a goal.

14. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Romain in 17 minutes of play: 1 foul suffered, 2 SOG (out of 2 attempts), 1 assist.

[​IMG]

15. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Kaye came out early on the USA v Canada match. Have not heard any update on his condition. I do know Diomande is back with the Goats from his little stay at the substance abuse joint.

16. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I hope the Lion got his missed runs and missed pass receptions and shanks out his system. I know he is a goat killer but just saying.

Pavon needs to show me more. He's was the weakest of our business-end players besides Ibrah. Pavon was contained and for a purported 20-25 million dollar player he needs to step up.

17. GalaxyOne

GalaxyOne Member+

Dec 6, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re-sign him ASAP!

Vindo310 repped this.
  18. barroldinho

barroldinho Member+

Man Utd and LA Galaxy
    England
    Aug 13, 2007
    US/UK dual citizen in HB, CA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    ASAP? Is that an acronym for a new MLS player designation?

Baysider, ProudNatRN and TrickHog repped this.
  19. Vindo310

Vindo310 Member+

Mar 19, 2009
    South Bay LA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He looked so good in his few minutes. I hope he can stay. I love his heart and his love of the team.

barroldinho, hav77, skydog and 1 other person repped this.
  20. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I love his heart but I worry about the rest of his body.

21. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #321 Dr.Phil, Oct 22, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2019

Edit
    https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-disciplinary-summary/2019/playoffs/guillermo-barros-schelotto
    Here is the video of GBS breaking the rules...lol

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  22. Berks

Berks Member+

Dec 22, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys, that was awesome. I didn’t watch live so it’s taken me awhile to post.

Yes, I’m still alive.

Romain was amazing.

Love the goals from Lletget and JDS.

Wow was that a bad game from Zlatan.

Romney was even more impressive knowing that whoever played left midfield between Pavon and Antuna didn’t track back. Like, ever.

So excited for Thursday!

Ghosting, shelbo, MPNumber9 and 5 others repped this.
  23. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    That is such a nit. Hopefully the fine is less than a dollar.

Ghosting, shelbo, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.