P/I/P: Match 5, Revs vs MIN, 3/30, 2:00PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, Mar 29, 2019.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Will game #5 finally get us the desperately needed 3 points?

2. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Hang on, let me check.

<shake, shake> <turn> <wait>

"Reply hazy, try again."

Doublecard, ToMhIlL and firstshirt repped this.
  3. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about as must-win as you can have in March. That "closed door meeting" is usually a sign of desperation. If that doesn't work, then what?

MUFC has scored 8 goals in 3 road games this year.

I don't see this defense slowing down the Loons.

4. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In hopes of leveling the odds in favor of a Revs win, I added 3 Loons to my fantasy team! Best case scenario they win a 5-3 shoot out

ktsd repped this.
  5. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Trying again...

"Don't count on it."

Now that could mean a draw - but not 3 points.

I would say that depends on what Revs team shows up, but I'm not so sure there is a good version of this team TO show up.

The optimist in me says 1-1 draw. The rest of me says another 0-2 loss.

The good news is that I am usually wrong as soon as I open my mouth!

6. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Revs this one. Finally figure out how to put together an attack and surprise us with a comfortable win. Going with 3-1 revs

7. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im not betting on the Revs. BF was a huge mistake

8. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Minnesota has come out strong on all cyclinders.

2-0 to the loons

9. WittyName

WittyName New Member

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 16, 2018
    Although the team has been disappointing this year, was still kicking around going to the game today (get the family out of the house, root them on in person, have a couple of beers). Tickets are $35+fees and the stadium is empty. That's $140+fees just to get a family of four in the door when there is little demand for tickets and the product is questionable. I think that is up significantly from previous years. Really wonder what they are thinking raising prices like this when the demand is not there. $20 tickets would get us there (to then spend more on concessions). Going to keep folks like me who usually go to ~50% of the home games away.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Lineup released:
    Cropper
    Bye
    Farrell
    Anibaba
    Mancienne
    Castillo
    Caldwell
    Gil
    Jones
    Bunbury
    Agudelo

Bench: Turner, Delamea, Zahibo, Caicedo, Fagundez, Buchanon, Caicedo

Looks like we're playing a back 5, and the bench has more attacking talent than the 11. I guess Penilla is in the doghouse now for some reason?

11. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    I attended the game life against Cincinnati and what a train wreck that was so I missing this one

Also regarding ticket prices if you buy them online you can get tickets to the fort for only $15 if you go out and buy them at Gillette Stadium you’re probably paying what I paid last weekend which was I believe 35

12. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Need to pay for guys like Mancienne, Zahibo, Somi, Gil etc

Dr. Sneezy repped this.
  13. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Hmm. The one thing I wanted at least was to see changes made, so at least there's that. I have liked Knighton past years but he has been poor.

Can't think of one time Bunbury & Agudelo together looked functional. Juan likes to start-stop-start with his movement while Bunbury prefers the long sweeping runs. Plus they both look better when they have room to operate high so they take up the same place.

So is it....

------------------------- Cropper --------------------------
    -------- Farrell ------ Manc. -------- Anibaba -----
    Bye --------------------------------------------- Castillo
    ------- Caldwell ----- < Gil > ------ Jones ----------
    ---------- < Agudelo --- v -----------------------------
    ---------------------v----------- Bunbury > --------------

EDIT -- glad to hear, for the sake of his health, that Farrell is cleared to play

14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    Ended up lining up in a classic 4-4-2.

Positives: the team worked hard. Theyre pros, so it shouldn't be something we praise, but after last week it is certainly an improvement. I've been asking for a CM, and playing Gil there accomplished that. He's the best player by far. The defense looked better with Farrell (sat deep mostly!) and Cropper did well in goal.

Negatives: The players still lack individual skill. Caldwell, Jones, Bye, Agudelo, and Bunbury all worked hard and got to good spots and made good runs. But then they'd mishit a cross, take a bad touch, dribble out of bounds, or wrong foot themselves trying to pick up a pass. A bit more technical acumen and the Revs score another couple goals.

Also with the exception of Anibaba the team is absolutely terrible in the air. 10 corners and what did they get out of them? I know guys like Caldwell and L. Caicedo are short, but for a team designed to send lots of crosses into the box there dont seem to be any targets to hit.

All in all glad to see a win (even though i kind of hoped they'd lose and the magnifying glass would start to focus more). Gil is a player worth paying to see, which is more than the team could say its had in a while.

swedust and dncm repped this.
  15. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The silence in this thread is deafening.

CynicRev repped this.
  16. Revs In First :)

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    First game I've gotten to this year, so it was nice to see them get a positive result. They needed that. We're not currently a good team, so we have to be simultaneously pleased and pissed that what we saw today amounts to a good performance. We are what we are, and without an infusion of talent and/or players/coaches consistently performing at a level above their baseline abilities, we are going to be a bottom feeder again.

If only we had more guys capable of playing their roles as well as Carles Gil. He is legit in this league and a pleasure to watch. Without him, we might be winless, pointless, and goalless at this stage.

dncm and RevsLiverpool repped this.
  17. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gil may be the most technically gifted player the Revo have had. It's got to be frustrating for him to play with the assortment of donkeys we field every week.
    Bye and Jones brought energy, but their limitations are obvious. Friedel has got to find a way to get Fagundez, Penilla, Caicedo in gear for this team to do damage.

The Revo were the better team yesterday. Glad they were able to hang on for the 3.

dncm repped this.
  18. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 RevsRule, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Nice to win, we were the better team. Comments:
    1) Works hard but we need a better option than Teal
    2) I liked the left mid Jones. Keep him starting
    3) Cropper looked good. Use him more
    4) Farrell - great game...
    5) Mancienne - always seems to do something bad
    6) Diego who? he can stay on the bench

The schedule is not good for us. Full strength Columbus team at home that just beat Atlanta will be a challenge. Use the starting 11 this week again. They earned it

dncm repped this.
  19. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought it was a pretty ballsy lineup by Brad. Bye and Farrell on the right side was a little spark of inspiration that I didn’t think he had in him. Perhaps Jones is fresh enough that he doesn’t know how to play the “revs way”.

Revs in 2010 and dncm repped this.
  20. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    #20 dncm, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Most above made my similar observations so just my adds.

I loved the nicer weather day personally but still just over 10k. sigh. Props to the Fort area - continue to sound better and better each game!

Only in Revs land do they "promote" Knighton on the gameday handout - and Knighton banished from even the bench.

I couldn't help but think if WE had Quintero to be in front of Gil....C2 is still not on the field as a starter and they invested a lot in that guy to help the load for scoring. What is going on there - is he a bust (he is not on any injury report anymore)?

21. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The opposite of love is not hate, it is apathy. We've all seen this rodeo before....unless the team shows a more consistent winning capability...why should we get excited with the same Front Office and Owner when they don't seem to show any real commitment? I'll continue to follow and support the team, but it is hard to get that invested in them at this time.

Doublecard and pwykes repped this.
  22. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Well it wasn't super-pretty, but it's more fun to watch winning than losing. It's not going to take long - it took the loons about 60' - to figure out that if you keep kicking Gil, we've got nothing else. This team needs more talent. That said, pleasantly surprised by Anibaba, Farrell, Jones, and Agudelo. I cringe to think about the next few games, however.

23. Revs in 2010

Revs in 2010 Member+

Feb 29, 2000
    Roanoke, VA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks to the gods that they won. If they hadn't, how could we have a "Summer Swoon?"--you can't swoon when you've already fainted.:rolleyes:

swedust repped this.
  24. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think it was a very solid win - probably should have been 2-0 as Minn penalty was pretty flukey. Still trying to figure out what happened on that play, after slo-mo-slo-mo'ing it several times. My best guest is that the attacker had hooked Mancienne's left arm and he yanked it free and the follow-thru hit the ball. Pretty bizarre play. I just don't like to see penalties called when it isn't a play that is stopping a scoring chance, and I don't think that one was. I'm guessing ref agreed, since he didn't blow it initially, when everyone in the stadium saw that something happened. But, once he gets that call in his ear, ... he has no choice but to call it with the strict interpretation of the rules. Hate that.

Jones' energy was great, but showed a lot of naivety (natural, for a rookie). Let's hope he gets game-smarter quickly, so we can keep that energy in the lineup.

Bye was a little mixed on the right wing, but did put in a number of dangerous crosses.

Man, Ibarra is a handful - what a clinic on how a holding forward should play.

Anibaba was huge. And Farrell had one of his better games - seemed like he worked better with Bye than some of the other wings he's played with. Hope we stick with this back 4 (or 5) for an extended run, so they can build more cohesion.

Revs created a lot of through balls for the wings. Gil is always looking for that and the Revs will start making those runs more and more.

25. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Also thought that Caldwell had a great game as well, lining up as a solo dmid. This was his best game in a long, long time. Maybe it was the new contract!

teskicks repped this.