P/I/P: Match 4, Revs vs CIN, 3/24, 4:00PM (ET) [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by NFLPatriot, Mar 22, 2019.

1. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With better coaching we might see more clearly what the talent deficit really is. I'd settle for that as a start.

a517dogg repped this.
  2. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nguyen did very well here and is doing very well in LA.
    Rowe was very inconsistent here - it's too early to say how he'll pan out in SKC but he's getting starts on a very good team.
    Nemeth has 5 goals in 6 games this season; he had 2 goals in 30 games for us.
    Kei Kamara - 12 goals in 31 games for us; 17 goals in 31 games for Vancouver (and 27 in 41 games for Columbus before us).

With a good coaching system I think this team would be solidly middle tier (provided Gil stays healthy), meaning we've a good chance at playoffs. Instead we're a dumpster fire.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  3. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, windows and contracts make it easier to change the coach than players right now. So why are they waiting? Rhetorical question of course...

4. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I may be missing your point. What do the guys that are gone have to do with our current roster? I briefly thought you were arguing that they were well coached here and it is showing on their new teams. But I’ve concluded you are trying to state how much better we might get if we had good coaching. First and foremost, count me among those ready to try that change and see if you are right. My “pessimistic” reservations though:
    1. We may have traded too much talent away already
    2. Each individual needs to be looked at in detail but is it possible that the surrounding players for Nemeth, Nguyen, Kamara, and Rowe are a step up, on average, from what one could say is surrounding Gil, for one example.
    3. Your comment on Gil is spot on. If he doesn’t stay healthy, I’d say it is over.

Finally, I’m not really all that excited by “solidly middle tier.” I’d hope that was a very temporary situation as the new coach and management (hopefully) would pull more talent in ASAP so they could rise to “solidly in the upper tier.”

a517dogg, pwykes and Jon Martin repped this.
  5. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I can't tell you how much I appreciate the positivity, and I agree that at least on paper, we have the talent to score a goal once in a while. I also agree that Gil, Castillo and probably Jones are the real deal.

But I feel like I've seen this movie before - under Rongen and again under Clavijo. The majority of the team is going through the motions. There is no collective mind, no belief. They look pissed off. Luis Caicedo is a shell of his former self. Zahibo's calm presence for me is Zahibo doing F-all. Delamea and Fagundez look like they are going to hurt somebody. Penilla is doing his best Khano impression when he shoots, yet is able to put the ball on Gil's foot when he switches play - like he wants to give Gil the respect.

Say what you want about Heaps, but his teams were more fun to watch.

I watch this, and it feels like a nightmare that I thought I had outgrown.

RevsLiverpool, TOAzer, sean'o and 2 others repped this.
  6. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As awful as the Big Frank era was, I preferred that to the Brad Friedel era. We had no talent then (other than Joe-Max), but no one expected us to and the guys were dogged. Now we underperform and no one seems willing to take responsibility, including Friedel.

RevsLiverpool repped this.
  7. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    I'd be more inclined to agree about what Bye was doing if Castillo wasn't doing th exact same thing. Clearly Freidel wants is FB to push high on GK to be more available to transition into the attack.

I've been disagreeing with how Brad wants his FB to play since last season (atop trying to get Farrell forward!). I think that both Bye and Castillo fit the bill of having skills suitable for attack minded FB, but playing with 2 of them with the CB and CM group available is aggressive to the point of being suicidal.

8. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What good does it do to have FBs push up if there is no one in front of them who can put the ball on frame?

Jon Martin repped this.
  9. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Right. I think a good coach could get a bunch of wins out of:

Penilla-JF Caicedo-Gil
    Caldwell-NEW GUY-L Caicedo
    Castillo-Delamea-Mancienne-Farrell
    Turner

And even without a new guy, a good coach could squeak into the playoffs with the group we have.

So yes. Fire Friedel, hire someone experienced and competent, and let's move.

10. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In order to hire a competent coach, you first need a competent front office...

RevsLiverpool, a517dogg and pwykes repped this.
  11. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What i considered sobering was the realization we could be the worst team in the league. I stand by my assessment our talent is not that good. And I'll include Friedel. Damn, he's making Heaps look better by the game. And I wasn't crazy about Heaps. At this point I merely hope the man who replaces Friedel is not a first-time coach.

RevsLiverpool, CynicRev and TOAzer repped this.
  12. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    Exactly. Getting rid of Friedel is one thing but I don’t trust Burns and Biello to find an adequate replacement. Besides, what decent manager with a proven track record would want to work for this train wreck of an organization?

CynicRev repped this.
  13. dncm

dncm Member+

Apr 22, 2003
    Boston
    a517dogg repped this.
  14. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    In fairness to Brad, he hasnt had Farrell, JFC, or New Guy. 8 players does not a functioning 11 make.

15. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Guy isn't going to be here until July, which means he probably won't be playing until August.

So if we are waiting for New Guy to save this team, we are in trouble...

rkane1226 repped this.
  16. a517dogg

a517dogg Member+

Oct 30, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    By that point, only JFC will be able to save this team...

rkane1226 repped this.
  17. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New Guy says we're Fawked.

18. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Recapping all the action from Week 4 of the MLS season | Matchday Central
    March 24, 2019, 11:30PM EDT

Skip ahead to about 21:30. Responding to a lead-in from Jillian Sakovitz saying it was "a fun match to watch":
    So, Charlie is sort of implying that the same is NOT true for the Revs.

TOAzer repped this.
  19. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    whats clear is that Brad needs to turn the page in the coaching manual to see where it says if your outside backs are pushing up they need to be prepared to track back to help the center backs. Obviously they can't figure that out on their own

20. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Whenever I see him referred to as JFC it makes me want to say another 3 words starting with JFC as in "JFC, the revs suck even at home"

a517dogg and Jon Martin repped this.
  21. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just think Bye sucks. Maybe Castillo and Farrell will be better at executing that tactic. Clearly Bye is the weak link right now as attacks are more often down his flank and squared in where useless Mancienne and card-happy Delamea await. Wish Friedel would stick Anibaba back out there instead of Mancienne. He looked decent vs Dallas and at least he cares.

Just wish Friedel would play Anibaba over Mancienne. Jalil was decent at Dallas and gets rewarded with a seat back in the bench in favor of an expensive, but error prone import. I did notice Mancienne was limping on Sunday so maybe Anibaba will get the call again soon.

What. A. Disaster.

22. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh boy, Farrell is going to right the ship. LOL

25. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When fans wish for Anibaba to start the end is near. The revs basically have five defenders on their roster. Castillo maybe the only one worth keeping and even he has not been that impressive this year defensively.

tsb11, rkane1226 and pwykes repped this.