P/I/P: Match 16, Revs @ LAG 6/2/2019, 10:30PM ET [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by patfan1, May 31, 2019.

1. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mancienne questionable. Turner suspended. Ibra coming off a goal and assist game Wednesday in SKC after serving his 2-game suspension for choking Sean Johnson.

3. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Well well, here we go.

How will Galaxy fans receive Bruce, I wonder?

4. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And who will play? Out of all this patchwork of styles, will Bruce roll out?

Not really a Bunbury fan, but Remember when he played right mid under Heaps, and Shuttleworth sent every goal kick to him? He held the ball up better there than he does up top.

Perilla has been a disappointment in so many ways this year...can’t link up or play combination play, and won’t go around people. Sit him.

5. MM66

MM66 Member+

Mar 9, 2009
    Brookline, MA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not blue, not green. He's something in between. Nice goal, Teal.

6. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

New England Revolution, Vermont Catamounts, NCFC
    United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zlatan creates his own bicycle kick for a goal. 2-1 Revs with 6 minutes left.

7. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    5 minutes of stoppage remain

8. VTSoccerFan

VTSoccerFan Member+

United States
    Jun 28, 2002
    Cary, NC
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Galaxy get a few opportunities in the last minute including one shot off of the crossbar, but the Revs hang on.

Final: 2-1 Revs

9. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Golly: there might be an actual MLS team on this roster.

TOAzer repped this.
  10. tsb11

tsb11 Member+

United States
    May 31, 2018
    LA's defense was bad, and their attack seemed generally disinterested. The Revs lack of finishing really showed, easily could have managed at least 4 in this game.

11. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting, the 2 players you highlight here end up scoring goals.

Teal misses a sitter early, but makes up for it later on.

Revs had only 37.5% possession, but outdid LA in shots on goal, 7:2.

12. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, LA isnt LAFC but still theyre #2 in the West. That being said, we looked good and I have some hope now. I think it just goes to show how the same group of guys are now starting to look far better after the firing of Friedel (and Burns). I think its got to be them now having a better attitude and belief in themselves and belief in the coach. Farrell looks great. Gill too. Juan is better and Teal can still manage to screw up things a CF has to score but he did manage to get one of about 3. I think a big time CF will be one of Arena's first moves. It won't be Teal. He may go outside? or some kind of sub. It also seems Caldwell has fallen off the end of the bench. Im sorry to see that and think he has some role as a destroyer.
    I read somewhere that Lapper is gone Mid June. Too bad. I think he's done well enough to have some job here. I certainly like him better than the midget Arena is bringing in. At least no Dave Sarachan ..... yet. Why couldnt Lapper serve the Sarachan role? Unless he doesnt want that?

13. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a bad ... bad ... bad miss by Teal. The offense still stutters in the final third. I thought defensively we were mostly solid.

I'm actually glad I stayed up for that one. Fun match to watch.

swedust repped this.
  14. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    Finishing remains terrible and the 'new coach' bump continues - and probably gets extended, but very encouraging overall. I've always been an Arena fan so I'm not shocked that the team has responded. If he can get Penilla going and resurrect Diego they just might be in the playoff hunt till the end. There's enough talent on the roster to make the playoffs.

Their counter-attacking was impressive last night.

goussoccer repped this.
  15. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Watched the game this morning. Glad to see the win and the upward arc for the results, effort and cohesion. Away wins have been quite rare for this team - just our 6th away win since the start of the 2016 season!! And this was against a team that is having a very good season -- second overall in the league in PPG.

A heartening result. Now a couple of weeks to try and get things even more sorted out and continue the trend.

We may be out of the doldrums, but to be honest, we have a long way to go to be a true contender. While only 2 points out of a playoff spot, that team has 2 games in hand on us and the one 4 points in front of us has 3 games in hand. Just getting into the playoffs will still be a tough fight.

16. dcochran

dcochran Member+

Feb 17, 1999
    Vero Beach, FL
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That actually looked like a soccer team out there in the Revs kit. What a shocker! It was interesting to see Agudelo as an eight. I thought he was excellent in the first half both defensively and going forward. He was solid but quieter in the second half. Is this an example of Da Bruce seeing things that others don't and putting players in better positions to contribute? Our spine was excellent with the exception of Teal's finishing "touch".

It will be interesting to see if ABMOD and Arena resurrect Caldwell. After all, he plays a very similar role to the one that Williams played all those years for Arena. Even though it was MLS 1.0, Williams had limited physical skills but was an irritatingly effective DM. I expect that is how Caldwell is seen by Revs opponents.

17. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    #17 rkupp, Jun 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Wow, that was some impressive display. Sure, the almost got tied up in the end with the ball off the crossbar, but they had balls off the bar and post as well. For a change, Mariner wasn't exaggerating when he said they could be up 4 or 5.

What was up with LA? They didn't really look like they were interested in playing - or at least playing defense!

- best game in a loooong time by Agudelo - he seemed to be having fun, enjoying being more involved rather than waiting for touches against a packed-in defense.

- and we started to see some chemistry between Gill and Diego. It wasn't a great game by Diego, but much, much better. Loved seeing that blast off the crossbar - that was inches from being a golazo and GOTW candidate!

- Gil was huge - great game for the full 90, so smart, so in control and still with the creativity and inventiveness to send guys in on goal. This is what he can do when he plays higher up - we should be very, very excited about what he can do with Arena in charge.

- and really nice game by Penilla - he was licking his chops as LA gave him acres of space. Still, he's got to create some alternatives to going to his right - the defenders were ready for that move every time.

- also nice game by Jones.

- wasn't the best outing by Taj - he wasn't able to get up to game speed quickly enough in a critical situation.

18. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe they played down to their competition like teams sometimes do?

19. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no idea, but playing a mid-week game in KC on Wednesday might have impacted them a bit?

20. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    I would be so curious to know what the players would say they are doing differently.

For me, Farrell looks like a man reborn at CB, and he was never someone I thought was dogging it. He made one Farrell-esque gaffe, but was otherwise a force. Also, he looked great paired with Agudelo also looks like he has found his position - like he needs the constant involvement in the middle third not to fall asleep. He seems like a really physical presence, who just needs time to figure out his new position. Dejuan Jones now owns that position.

I still think we need 1-2 new attacking threats. I'm not sold on either Bunbury or DF.

21. BrianGockley

BrianGockley New Member

NE Revolution
    United States
    Feb 3, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, yes, yes. But Penilla was lazy and predictable, and Teal missed so many other good chances. Funny too that the announcers said “Zlatan just needs one moment to have an impact.” But unlike our two guys, he didn’t make any glaring errors.

Anyway, was much happier with Aguedelo this game that any in a long time. Gil needs to shoot more, and I sure hope that Bruce can repair Diego. All in all, they were not perfect together, but there seemed to be some chemistry for a change. Nowhere to go but up!

22. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA