P/I/P Leagues Cup Semifinal: Cruz Azul @ L.A. Galaxy, TUESDAY 8/20/19, 7:30pm PT

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by L.A. Native, Aug 18, 2019.

1. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I am on board with those who want to play this tourney but properly done with some sort of timely headsup. Had we been more consistent in play this season and been closer to the Goats pointwise, I definitely would have loved to play this with a fuller team and blow Cruz Azul out of the water. BoOm!

I was watching a Mex sports show and they are embarrassed CA could not put the wood to us but they absolutely livid that Galaxy acted so dismissive of this tournament and feel absolutely sure next year MX will speak directly to MLS and its team owners to assure participation with at least 70 to 80 percent of team rosters.

2. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dismissive of this tournament? A couple of games with no qualification, no history, and while we are are struggling to get a decent position for playoffs?

Or maybe GBS was just dismissive of Cruz Azul. And almost pulled it off.

3. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info!

4. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Lampson was awesome in PKs last time. If he had shown a bit more in covering his goal in the run of play, we might have had a repeat B-team result (although maybe B+ this time with ~3.5-4 1st teamers)

The Cadaver and TrickHog repped this.
  5. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking we keep him around as a target forward off the bench if Ibra retires after this season. Our style of play works well with a big tall Zlatan Ibrahimović/Alan Gordon/Deidre Drogba Type. The fact that he can play CB is great as well. I really can't think of many Centerbacks that can convert to Forward. That's a heck of a superpower.

73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  6. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    I know what you're saying and I agree. This is not the time to burn the candle at both ends.

But I gotta say when Cuello tied the game I almost lost my stuff. I had to hog tie that part of me that was screaming yes, YES! Come on Guillermo, put all the starters in and help them. They are trying to win this. It was very hard.

7. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a very good game for our bench and reserves - game them quality minutes against a tough opponent and I wanted them to play for the win (I just didn't really want our starters to have to play another game in September during our very congested schedule). Glad to see them perform well and literally come within a couple inches of taking that thing to penalties...

8. El Futbolisimo

El Futbolisimo Member+

Sep 28, 1999
    Had Steres scored on that flying kick of his I would have torched the ships.:geek:

9. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I can see it now, GBS switches to a 4-4-2 with Dupuy paired up front with Zlatan. The Galaxy's own version of the bash brothers. Open up the channels for Pavon and Antuna.

10. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly this is why it’s a shame that the galaxy couldn’t redirect Skjelvik salary and sign Kei Kamara.

We play very direct especially when we’re down a goal. I’d love to see a 4-4-2 for the last fifteen minutes with both Kei and Zlatan attacking the goal.

But more importantly it would’ve been nice to him start up top, when Zlatan is not playing, in games like the Leagues Cup and Open Cup (and not Pontius at FW).

The Beautiful Gamer and 73Bruin repped this.
  11. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Kamara would have changed our season drastically. He’s not technically gifted but his speed & strength made life difficult for defenders. Our current (non-Ibra) players are the opposite - technically skilled but not athletic enough to be very dangerous offensively.

WarGalaxy and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  12. Rohaun888

Rohaun888 Member

Club: Los Angeles Galaxy
    Aug 2, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought is was a good game. We got what we needed out of it. To be honest there was nothing at stake for us and we have bigger fish to fry on Saturday and some of our players needed the rest. We used the game to get some players some needed experience against a good team. All and all I thought we played well and on the plus side no injuries :)

13. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We would have easily won that home match against Colorado if we had Kei. We had an insane amount of crosses in that match, most going to Boateng. Depth matters.

14. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    As far as I know, Kamara was never available for the Galaxy to sign, even if they had the money. He was under contract to Vancouver and not protected in the expansion draft. FC Cincinnati drafted him and then immediately traded him to Colorado for an international roster spot. He has started 24 games for the Rapids and scored 11 goals this season.

The only way this would have been possible was if the Galaxy had traded Skjelvik before the expansion draft, but at that time they still had Ola Kamara under contract and were planning on keeping him.

15. The Beautiful Gamer

The Beautiful Gamer BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 26, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Highlight Time Folks

Nick Depuy Interview

Hey GBS I don't know if you read these but please put him on the first team bench as a forward ahead of E. Alvarez for at least one game this year. This kid might be a diamond in the rough.

16. WarGalaxy

WarGalaxy Member+

May 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You’re 100% correct. He might not have even been okay with basically coming in only as a bench option and a fill in at forward when Zlatan isn’t starting.

I’m just saying, IMO, it would have been a better use of cap space and TAM to have a legit FW option off the bench. It’s just the residual effects of signing Skjelvik in the first place.

73Bruin and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.
  17. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I partially agree. The Galaxy front office of Pete, Jovan and possibly Sigi definitely could have done a better job of scouting him. However, I believe that the MLS rule limiting teams to only cutting one player in the off-season is to blame for the Galaxy keeping him this season. They had a choice per the rule, cut Gio and conform to the DP limit or cut Skjelvik. I think that they made the right choice.

The Cadaver and The Beautiful Gamer repped this.